1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Brake Pads -Now Terrible Gas Milage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Natalie - Prius 2, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Natalie - Prius 2

Natalie - Prius 2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My brakes were serviced, all four pads replaced, at a local repair shop, a few weeks ago, on my 2007 prius with 145,000 miles.
    My gas milage is typically 40/42 city & 44/45mpg hwy...but has been 28/29mpg since the brake job.
    Tonight several lights came on on my dash - Brake, ABS, ! (Little yellow one/NOT the triangle one) & VSC.
    I drove home with no problems, with the lights on.

They must have put something back together incorrectly...or what??

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you are probably correct. sounds like the pads are dragging. who did the work?

3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Battery issue?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many miles have you driven since the brake repair work was performed?
    The poor fuel economy might be due to the rear brake shoes being adjusted too tight.
    The diagnostic trouble codes logged by the skid control ECU need to be retrieved in order to say more.
    In the meantime, make the Prius READY and look at the inverter coolant reservoir to see if there is turbulence in the fluid. If that is not present, the inverter coolant pump has failed. (That would not be a reason for poor mpg, but would be a reason why the skid control ECU would turn on the warning lights.)

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you are near a low-traffic road where you could (safely!) drive ten or fifteen minutes with no use of the brake, leading to a place like a big empty parking lot where you could safely come to a stop still with no use of the brake, that's an easy test for any dragging brakes. All four wheels and rotors should feel cool to the touch (you can reach through the wheels to feel the rotors). Don't just reach and grab, let your hand approach slowly. If you feel sizzling heat radiating out from eight inches away, you learn what you need without actually searing yourself.

For coming to a stop without using brakes, I generally turn into a big empty lot and make a wide circle in B mode, shift to R below 4 mph or so, then just stab the brake at the instant the forward roll is changing to backward, and park. Stabbed at just that point, the brake will not add any heat.

It's worth reconnoitering ahead of time to find a suitable route ending in a suitable lot where you can safely do this check.

-Chap