1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New brakes, huge mileage drop

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by NY Mo, Jul 15, 2017.

1. NY Mo

NY Mo New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just had to have my brake pads and rotors replaced as apparently the rotors were warped (although when they first called me they said "scored", but there were still 2 mm on the pads and I hadn't heard any noises / chirping). In any event, I had them replaced as there are about 150,000 miles on the car and I drive 120 tough Long Island miles a day, so it's feasible they needed replacement. On the drive home, about 15 miles, my mileage dropped from the 45 I usually get on mostly side roads and highway with the air conditioning on to 32 mpg. When I stopped, I noticed a very distinctive burnt-rubber like smell outside the car. Think the dealer did something wrong with the brake job or is there normally a big drop for a bit until you wear them down for a few miles?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    sounds like they might be rubbing. i've never heard of a big drop with new brakes. otoh, morning rubber might be something else.

feel the wheels after driving awhile to see if one is hotter than the others.

go down a hill in neutral to see if it glides freely.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Especially the rears. Report back if the rears are hot, I'll warm up me typing fingers in the interim lol.

Oh and: was it a Toyota dealership, or?

4. Tim Jenkins

Tim Jenkins New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Did you ever figure it out, I am having the exact same issue on my 2010 Prius and no one, including my local Toyota Dealership can figure it out?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like something was rubbing

6. Tim Jenkins

Tim Jenkins New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not yet, I think you have commented on my original posting a few times.... I cannot figure out why the regen brake system is engaging now as soon as I let off the accelerator and why it would be engaging so much to slow the car down when I am going DOWN hill. If this is 'normal', my car never did this prior to the brake change last week, and I hate it.

7. Tim Jenkins

Tim Jenkins New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For example, there is a very steep, long hill that I have taken at least 100 times. Prior to last week, I could be going 65 MPH at the top of the hill and let off the accelerator and by the time I would be at the bottom of the hill, I would be going 78-80 MPH. I did the same thing today to see what would happen... I was at 65 MPH at the top, let off the accelerator and at the bottom of the hill I was going 66 MPH, the whole time the regen brake system was engaged.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    With your foot off the pedals, there will be some regen... but I suspect that the additional braking force you feel is not coming from the regenerative system.

I've read of it happening before- a shop replaces the pads and misses a step or two, and the pads cannot "relax" all the way, so they are causing constant friction. Not good.

9. Tim Jenkins

Tim Jenkins New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    But the friction/resistance goes away immediately in Neutral and immediately returns as soon as the car is back in Drive or B gear, I would agree with you if the resistance was present in Neutral ??? Thoughts?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a dealership might have a way to measure regen with tech stream, idk. but to me, it sounds like your car is normal now, and wasn't before. keep in mind, regen braking has nothing to do with the brakes, and everything to do with the tranny. that's where the magic happens, with the gas and brake pedals as electronic facilitators

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If there are two things dragging but only one (regenerative braking) can be controlled by the driver, it could account for what you are experiencing.

12. Tim Jenkins

Tim Jenkins New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    True, I do not think there are 2 issues, initially I thought something with the brake pads/rotors was causing the issue. Either the regen brake system is always engaged and my car was not working correctly until last week, or something is wrong with the regen brake system causing it to be 'stuck on' all the time.

13. james nancy

james nancy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think your brake cylinder is stuck. The new brake pads are thicker than the old ones, so the piston position of the cylinder in the standby state is different. It is recommended that you disassemble the cylinder piston and check that there is dirt. Clean up, if there is rust, use sandpaper to deal with it, and apply a little grease before putting it back.
    Although you did not step on the brake, if the piston of the sub-cylinder did not return, it is still in the brake state, and you smell the burnt smell is an obvious clue.
    Good luck.

#13 james nancy, Aug 25, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Feel all your wheels after a drive; do any feel unusually hot?

Raise the rear (front wheels chocked) and try spinning the wheels; they should go 2~3 revolutions with a good push. If they’ve been misassembled (which is very easy to do) they’ll drag, stop immediately.

15. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    which part of the wheel? o_O

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^ This. The regen braking system doesn't make that smell.

There was one time I drove home from a Ford dealer in a Bronco II that I had, and it drove like a dog for the mile and half or so home, and when I got out, I did not have to 'feel' any wheel; I could feel my leg roasting inside my pant leg as I walked past the wheel.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Middle is best, directly bolted to brake disk.

Grit likes this.
  18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    (y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    May go without saying, but bring hand to wheel slowly.

If you feel broiled from a few inches away, abort the maneuver before touching.

Nikki CLO likes this.
  20. burebista

burebista Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I've had problems with stuck pads I've bought something like this specially for rotors temperature.

-430911121824363966.jpg