1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Break Pads; Brake (!) ABS and VST lights on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Grim187, May 17, 2017.

1. Grim187

Grim187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just bought a Prius (228k miles, new hybrid battery 30k mi ago) and noticed it needed new pads.
    Replacing them when't without a hitch, I removed the caliper, cleaned them, lubed everything, and bled the system.

I noticed the lights after doing the driver side and turning it around to do passenger.

I hooked up a OBD II code reader and nothing appears, apparently there are "blink codes" but some things say bridge 4 and 6, others 4 and 13 and i saw one that said 3 and 13. I don't want to kill the OBD II port so can you confirm which pins to bridge?
    Thanks.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Prius brake jobs require "precautions". I'm only conversant in third gen, where for DIY work:

1. It's good to disconnect the 12 volt negative cable before starting, and after everything's reassembled, tromp the brake pedal multiple times, BEFORE reconnecting the 12 volt. You basically don't want the car to detect excess travel. And you don't want to give it a chance to try to pressurize the system while the caliper's off the rotor.

2. If you're doing bleeding, without Techstream, there is specific "chicken dance" you need to do at the outset, to put it into "invalid mode", and certain actions you need to avoid, or you'll be dropped out of "invalid mode", and into a world of warning lights.

In short, they're unconventional cars, you can DIY the brakes, but you need to read up on the tricks.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  3. Grim187

Grim187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    1. I didn't do that, luckily it didn't try to pressurize the system. I used the bleeder valve and body weight on my breaker bar to depress the caliper piston.

2. Do I need to do said chicken dance to get the lights to go off?, if so I'm assuming I need a mini-vci and I cant use the elm327 I have? + the techstream software on my laptop?

thanks for the reply

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You've posed your question in a useful way that really highlights the hard part of finding information by googling.

If you found sources saying three different things, and if you had to decide for yourself which information was right, how would you decide? Would you take the answer that came up most often? Would you weigh some sources as being more reliable for information on your year of Prius than others? Maybe even one source you would know is so authoritative on the topic that it directly settles the question? Do you know where to find it?

I'm sorry for talking in questions. The short answer is 4 and 13 (but, if you believe me, why do you?). It's just I was at a bar last night with a librarian friend who is studying the ways people use information resources, and she was surprised when focus groups with current students showed them at a complete loss when faced with conflicting information and needing to compare and weigh reliability. It was kind of scary.

Anyway, even if you just believe me about 4 and 13, once you've counted your blinks, you should really still go to the authoritative source to understand what they are telling you.

-Chap

Grim187 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Grim187

Grim187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    so the source that said 4 and 13 was Prius specific and the source that said 4 and 6 was not.
    the source that said 3 and 13 was a post of someone asking for help on an issue as a result so it wasn't necessary for that information to be correct.

I trust its 4 and 13 because that has the most amount of evidence, you have told me in direct response to my question (which leads into my personal believe that people, more then not are a force of good and want to help) and the OBDII pinout has 13 listed as "vendor option" which has loose ties to; I've never heard of "blink codes" before yet I'm familiar with using OBDII dongles to read check engine codes, and hints to a more complex OBDII port as described by the previous reply + research of Techstream.

Thanks for your reply.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As you have an OBDII code reader and even though you appear not to get any codes, you can still issue the clear codes instruction and it will clear all codes. If you still have lights after that, blink out the codes to see what you need to do next. Of course, for the most accurate source for finding out what the blink codes mean, you can't go past techinfo.com.

7. Ajourney101

Ajourney101 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can run a jumper between pin 4 and pin 13 (CG and TC respectively) and count the blinks of the ABS light. For example if it blinks 3 times, then pause briefly and then blinks one time, longer pause then repeats that would be a code 31.

To clear the codes, with the key off put your jumper (paperclip) between 4 and 13. Turn the ignition on, and press the brake pedal 8 times within 5 seconds. The light should now be a steady flash, rather than flashing with the code like above. Then just remove your paper clip and you're done :)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Grim187 and JC91006 like this.
  8. Grim187

Grim187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bridged 4 and 13 and turned the car on to get a red !, check engine and ABS.
    but all the lights where dim and they got more dim until now they wont come on, the touch screen doesn't either and the car wont start.

I was thinking dead battery, so I pulled down the seats (because there is no key hole on the trunk) and tested the battery with a multi-meter, its at 15.2v.

I'm going to go check the fuses but I don't expect that to be it.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was the car "on" when you tested the battery?? 15.2 volts does not make sense: a battery in decent shape would be 12.4~12.8, depending on various factors. If your lights are dimming, the 12 volt is the smoking gun.

10. Grim187

Grim187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I disconnected negative and got 5.5v, so I disconnected positive and got 11.6v.

battery is from 6/12.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Something not adding up. It shouldn't be all over the map.

12. Grim187

Grim187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I left the fob inside and did it 3 more times, connected; 8.4v, disconnected 11.6v.
    Pretty sure its a dead battery. :(

#12 Grim187, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Grim187

Grim187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I pulled the battery and took it to AutoZone, charged and tested fine.
    I guess I forgot to turn it off after I used the OBDII reader, really wish I could open the trunk without power.
    I'm glad I pulled the battery; because it was sitting in about a gallon of water.

anyways back to the blink codes
    I think i got all of them right:

(!) : 36 41 59 62 94
    ABS: 95 42
    VSC: 43 45 62 63

Im hoping clearing them will fix it.

Thanks you for this.

and Thanks to everyone else for the help :)

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could the water be shorting the battery? (n)

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not unless it is completely covered. But there are some plugs, notably in the left rear that can get wet and cause problems. I'd be more concerned about the damage the water would be causing to the inside of the RR panel.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm thinking during hard braking or cornering, wather could be sloshing.

Must wait 27 seconds.

11 seconds.

Good to go.

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unlikely that it would get that full, but never say never. It would be a good idea to remove the drain bung once one is aware of the water pooling, until the leak is located and remediated.