1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New bumber cover does not clip in on one side?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by silsurf, Dec 14, 2016.

1. silsurf

silsurf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought and replaced my bumper cover a little while back as outlined here.

On one side at the rear the receiving end of the cover, the plastic panel that the bumber clips into, that panel had some broken clip receptacles on it. I did not really know this at the time and did not deal with it.

Now every once in awhile that part of the cover, the rear driver wheel well area, the cover pops out a bit and I have to press it back in.

Is there a DIY way to fix this, even if it is not a perfect one? I assume to replace the part the cover clips into I would need to pull the entire cover off?, which I dont really want to do.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Henry

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have a Gen2 and have to replace the rear bumper cover always replace the side retainer clip assy also. There's 2 one on each side. There brittle from old age and the clips will easily snap off usually form just taking the cover off. been there done that twice now going on a third time. The rear end of a G2 is a magnet for damage.

In your case I would just pull that side off and remove the bolt on that side in the hatch corner so you don't stress that bolt hole and just pull the bumper off that retainer clip and bend the bumper side down and replace that clip assy with a new one. Do not buy after market cheapo clip retainers they suck go online and buy the oem clip assy.