1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Bumper Chips Easily

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by swissian, Mar 17, 2015.

1. swissian

swissian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey guys,

I had my bumper repainted/repaired in August 2014. With the road salt finally being washed of my car, I've noticed many many rock chips in the paint. My pervious bumper had over 20x the milage with only a few chips. This bumper looks terrible for being so new.

The place I went to has a warranty for the repair. Do I have grounds to go and get it fixed or is this just something I will have to deal with myself?

2. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I had the same problem with a previous vehicle that needed a new bumper. The surface preparation or paint quality wasn't on par with the factory paint job when it came to durability.
    The key to durability against rock chips is good preparation of the bumper surface, flex agent added to paint and a thin paint coat since thick paint tends to crack rather than flex.
    I would discuss this with the shop that did the work and if that doesn't get you any where bring it to the attention of the insurance company that paid the claim (if it was an insurance claim)

#2 IMkenNY, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  3. swissian

swissian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks! It was an insurance claim after a road sign flew up and lodged into my bumper. I will contact the shop first and see what they say.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i agree with ken, no way does that happen to the oem paint. all the best.(y)

5. swissian

swissian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do you guys have any advice on how to bring it up to the shop?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    show them your front bumper?

7. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'd call and talk with the owner first about it. See what they say, are willing to consider, and at least start out on a good note by setting up a visit for them to look at it.

Do they warrant their work at all? What's their policy on paint work?

Good luck.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bring your dissatisfaction up with the body shop that did the work. Calmly, rationally. Then hope they honor their guarantee.

I would say, without seeing any pictures, that if it "looks terrible" after less than one year from being painted and repaired then you DO have a case.

Unless of course you spent the winter going on long road trips following a gravel and salt truck. I think you have the right to expect at least average durability from the repainted bumper. If the deterioration is significantly ahead of the curve with just normal usage? Then it's a symptom of the repair.

Unfortunately you end up being in the situation where the people you are counting on for remedy, are the same people that did as shoddy job to start with.

If they won't stand behind their work, and honor their guarantee? Then at least you've found one body shop you can avoid in the future.