1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Buyer.. Oil Question?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by TUXTAILS, Feb 5, 2008.

1. yabba

yabba New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Is European oil greasier???

Glad you posted that - I was thinking what the heck have I gone and bought? If I buy a new car I don't expect to return to the garage for at least 18 months these days!

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Is European oil greasier???

Well, I'm very sorry to have to report to you that your Prius requires a service every 12 months or 10,000 miles. There are many factors involved here

I realize this is difficult for the EU forum members to understand, especially when the same Prius operated in North America requires a service every 6 months or 5,000 miles

The average garage - and many of the Big 3 dealerships - in North America will usually source the cheapest bulk lube oil they can find. Oil changes are a huge business here, as the average person has been indoctrinated on oil changes as often as every THREE months or every 3,000 miles

The bulk oil is delivered by tanker truck or by "tote" bins of 200 litre capacity. A centralised pump/metering system is used to dispense the oil into a hose, then into the motor

It's given that most of the bulk lube systems are heavily contaminated with dirt, dust, and moisture. I have industrial experience with process controls and central metering systems. It's absolutely critical that the bulk lube storage tank be kept spotlessly clean

The vent system for the storage tank must use a desiccating filter/breather. Every garage bulk bin I've seen has a simple inverted pipe, with a screen to keep out bugs and mice. Thus, there is huge moisture/dust ingestion, which eventually ends up in the motor

Toyota used to offer a normal 12 month or 7,500 mile service in North America. They got burned by sludged up motors and lawsuits. In CYA (Cover Your A**) fashion, they universally lowered the service interval to every 6 months or 5,000 miles

As I have stated earlier, the API specs are the only ones considered by most car makers here, the exception being Porsche, BMW, VW, and Mercedes. The minimum-spec API "standard" allows oil gellation, cold stuck rings, cold sludge, etc.

It was the sludge issue that seemed to really burn Toyota. The API has specifically excluded cold sludge and cold stuck rings. The API also makes no distinction to operating conditions or service interval, in their eye all oils are created the same

The ACEA will clearly consider the operating conditions and service interval, hence the A3/B3/B4 and the newer A5/B5 oils. They specifically mention "severe operating conditions" and "greatly extended oil service intervals"

I would have thought that Toyota would have considered the market the Prius is operated in. They could have spec'd a ACEA A3/B3/B4 motor oil that would have been good for 24 months or 30,000 miles

I have run Mobil 1 0W-20 (ACEA A1/B1) to 16,000km, and had the oil tested. The results were fine, the oil was good for more

I suppose this is funny to many in the EU. Mention a 24 month or 30,000 mile oil service interval to most folks here, they will actually shiver in fear. BOO! The boogeyman is after you!

My only advice to you is to sit back, have a Pint, and laugh. That works very well for me too