1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New California Law on use of EV charging stations

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by evfinder, Jan 2, 2012.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is why I consider that in the absence of a robust charging infrastructure, the ideal configuration for an EV is as the short-distance car within a multi-car family. I have my Prius for longer trips because even if I knew there was a charger some place, I could not know that it would be available for me when I needed it. Unless, for example, I had my own charging spot at work, or if there were L1 outlets at every parking spot and that was enough to get me home, as could be the case with a Leaf parked for 8 hours at work and only needing a few extra miles to make the round trip, or for overnight parking if hotels had chargers that could be reserved along with the room.

I envision that last at some time in the far future: When EVs can drive all day on a charge, and are much more numerous, hotels will have chargers that you can book at the same time as you book your room, so that you will be assured of an overnight charge while you sleep. I do not expect to see this in my lifetime.

2. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You are correct, most EV drivers would leave their cars plugged in until they are done with whatever they are doing, shopping, dinning, watching a Movie etc. then unplug when they go home.

The issue is that most EV parking spots are in prime locations so EV drivers park in them even if they don't need to charge. The problem becomes worse when a Leaf driver parks in front of an SPI charger blocking out the RAV4 EV unless they can squeeze into the parking space next to the Leaf and get close enough to insert the paddle. This is really just as bad as parking an ICE in an EV parking space. As you said in an earlier post this is only getting worse as the eV community gets bigger.

The old charger protocol was to put a card on the dash saying how long you needed to charge so another driver could unplug you when you had enough charge but that is dead now.

Personally I will charge my PIP at public chargers if the cost makes sense but I will leave a note with my cell phone number on the dash so another EV driver can call me and I can move the car if they need to get in and charge.

BTW - according to recargo there is now a J1772 charger at Spokane City Hall - Won't work for the Tesla unless you have one of the converter cables but it will work for PIP, Leaf or Volt drivers.

1 person likes this.
  3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    ^ According to Recargo, there's a parking meter there limited to one hour. Fine, if all you need is 5 miles worth of juice. Really, L2 is not that much use unless it's available all day or all night long, or you only need a few miles.

But this is news to me.

The folks at Jaremko Nissan are pretty nice, and I'm guessing that in an emergency they'd let anyone use their outside J1772 charger if nobody else is using it.

4. longterm

longterm Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Exactly; that's what I plan to do as well. On the few occasions when I go to Whole Foods or other locations where there are charging stations, I may use it while I'm in the store, but other than that, home charging will suffice for me.

I work in a home office though, so I have no commute--my 2007 Prius has just over 35K on it now, which illustrates how little I drive.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I was in a free parking garage last night. 2 chargers, that were pay in prime locations. One was between 2 handicapped spots, the other between two normal spots. It may be the ADA laws make these things always in prime spots even in texas. This was the first handicapped only charger I've seen, and it didn't make much sense.

If all the charging spots in california are prime, and the state was giving out charging stickers to cng cars, I would bet a number of the spots were iced or used by cars not charging. I don't think we need goverment involvement, but for those of you in california, please try to get rid of the ability to tow plug-ins and allow charge sharing as its been done.

6. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The HOV stickers are available to CNG vehicles but not the EV Parking stickers. The EV Parking stickers were available to NEVs though even though they can only use a small number of the available spaces since most of them require a 110V plug and the older chargers were all 220V.

Since most of the EV parking spaces are in prime locations every once in a while you would hear of a NEV blocking a charger. The new law would prevent that but I wonder what will happen if a NEV is parked in front of a 220V charger but it's power cord is plugged into a 110V socket. Will parking enforcement recognize that the car is charging. We have charging spots like that here in LA with two chargers one in each space and a 110V plug on the wall between them.

7. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The subject of being able to lock the charging cable so that it cant be unplugged came up in this thread so I'll post this here.

Doing some digging on the Toyota Japan Prius PHV website (link) I found some kind of accessory cable lock. It shows as 14,700 Yen, so I assume its an accessory or some kind of add-on. Hopefully it will be available here.

I've attached an image. The translated text says "Charging Cable Lock"

Attached Files:

• lock.jpg
      lock.jpg
      File size:
      60.3 KB
      Views:
    3 people like this.
  8. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think this lock works on the vehicle side, it will not prevent unplugging on the charger side.

9. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, at least you probably won't get a ticket for parking in an EV spot and not "charging" since it will still look like you are.. and secondly, and perhaps more importantly, at least your charging cable wont grow legs and walk off :)

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Talked to my friend, and he did indeed try to get a ZEV parking sticker for his phev. He checked other on the form, and got told that he could not get the sticker because it was not natural gas. He also said that there is other parking that is free for ZEVs, which is why those issuing stickers may be confused. This was back in august. He didn't expect a sticker becuase its not a pure EV, but was shocked by the reason for rejection. Volt drivers have been ticketed for charging without stickers, which is why this probably came to a head. If people working for the state actually could use good judgement, it wouldn't be a problem.:D

Hope it all gets worked out. It would be a lot better if a plug-in charge sharing would not be ticketed or towed.