1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New camera install (Cheap Ebay cameras)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rrolff, May 24, 2010.

1. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am trying wireless install so there is no cable running from front to back. There is wireless video sender at rear with the camera and wireless receiver up front with the head unit.

Thanks to Paja for reverse wire connector info.

4. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @Paja
    Have had a look for a 42 way connector but can't find one either in the center console or behind the head unit. Where should I be looking for it?

5. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it is located on the left side close to the parking brake under plastic cover (if I remember well - it is a 1.5 year history). Unscrew the bolt and pry carefully. The connector has a special opening handle on its bottom.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheers for the info Paja. Looks like on the RHD prius, the connector is still on the left side of the car and not on the drivers side. I tried the drivers side connector first and it was the wrong one. The other side looked good when I got the covers off (red wire on pin 29) but it was getting too dark to tap and test. Will have a look tomorrow.

I hooked the headunit reverse sensor up to +12V just to check all was well and the camera burst into life so the wireless link is working. The only downside at the moment is that I don't have any dashboard/center console/steering wheel lights anymore so the car is a bit dark inside at night. Guess it could be a blown fuse?

7. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wireless ebay camera installed and working and dashboard lights fixed (blown fuse) :D Many thanks to Paja for reverse wire location. For right hand drive Prius, the connector is still on the left hand side of the car and because it is the passenger side, it is really easy to access and run a wire up to the head unit.

8. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :) I didn't notice your location. Ad fuse: you probably shorted some circuit when playing with cables.

9. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Summary of install for cheap wireless ebay camera.

Get wireless camera kit for camry 09. Wireless unit operates at 2.4GHz so check it is legal in your country.

See thread for reference pictures.

Useful PDF for trim removal.
    http://www.trdsparks.com/install/00016-00085instPrius.pdf

Toyota tech doc from this site (scroll down to Rear View Camera PZ464-G3420-00)
    Useful for head unit and trim removal information.
    http://www.toyota-tech.eu/legacy/To...d=1&action=kword&mscssid=&strKword=w30&admin=

For head unit removal see

Rear End Install:

Remove all trim from inside of rear door.
    Remove the outside trim piece from the rear door.
    Remove cover from rear trim piece where the camera goes.
    Clip camera into camera slot (may have to spread clips on camera for secure fit).
    Drop camera cables though hole in rear door (between licence plate lights).
    Refit outside rear trim.
    Note: There is a rubber seal which runs across the top of the rear trim.
    When refitting, I used some masking tape to hold the rubber strip up out of the way so it didn't get trapped behind the trim when refitted.

Connect wireless transmitter power lead, I used the +12v available at the rear window wiper motor connector (sky blue = 12v, white/black = ground).
    [You can run a wire from the reversing light so the unit is only powered when in reverse but this involves removing more trim and stuff so I went for the easy option.]
    Plug wireless transmitter and camera leads together.
    Quick test. Power up Prius. Wireless transmitter LED should be on. Power down Prius.
    Secure cables etc. to stop rattles.
    Refit inside rear door trim.

Front End Install:

Remove bottom trim piece from left hand side door (Drivers side for LHD, passenger side for RHD).
    Remove kick panel from left hand side door well (don't forget the thumbscrew at the back).
    You will see the big connector Paja referes to.
    Tap into the red wire on pin 29. There are 2 or 3 red wires here so make sure you get the right one.
    If you need to remove the connector to get better access there is a lever which is also clipped so use screwsriver to lift the clip then the lever can move.
    Run a "reverse wire" from this tap up to the head unit. This wire gives you +12V when the Prius is in reverse.
    Connect the wireless receiver power lead. Use the reverse wire for +12v and a suitable ground point.
    Also connect the reverse wire to the head unit reverse signal wire.
    Plug wireless receiver into head unit.
    Do a test of backup camera operation.
    Secure cables etc. to stop rattles.
    Refit trim and head unit.

1 person likes this.
  10. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just installed an Ebay camera for an 09 Camry. Here are some of my notes:

This is not an easy install, it takes a while. You do NOT have to remove the plastic facia on the outside of the back hatch. You do have to remove all the inside plastic coverings. Then you pry out the plastic cover where the camera goes. My camera fit in there, but not very tight. In hind sight I probably should have just used some RTV and glued it in. But I got fancy and took the black plastic cover and using my grinder, I cut an opening for the camera. The camera barely fits in between the plastic clips that hold the cover in. I put the cover back in and using RTV glued the camera into the cover. Perfect fit, except you will have to grind off the clips on the sides of the camera to make it fit. Like I said, in hind sight, it would have been much easier to just clip the camera into the opening without the plastic cover and then use the RTV to hold it in place. Live and learn.

I ran the camera leads under the license plate light. It was pretty hard to get the light to click back into place, but it can be done. And this way you don't have to drill any new holes.

Running the lines through the rubber boot at the top of the hatch is a major PITA! You have to drop the head liner in the back. The clips that hold the head liner in, pop out, but both were damaged so I have to get new clips from the Toyota dealer. After may failed attempts of trying to fish the line through the rubber boot, I finally used a long tie wrap. I fished it through, then used duct tape to tape the RCA cable to the side of the tie wrap that has the fat end. The fat end helps hold the RCA cable so it doesn't slip off. Also, I tried to tape the RCA plug to the tie wrap and couldn't make that work. It was too fat to go through the boot. So I went about 2 feet down the long RCA cable and doubled it over and taped the doubled over wire to the fat side of the tie wrap. Now you can pull it through much easier because it's much skinnier. Then once you get the doubled end through, just pull the RCA plug through. I could do it now in about 10 minutes, but I probably spent over an hour trying to figure it out!

My RCA extension was long enough, I didn't have to buy the 6' extension from Radio Shack. Actually I did buy the extension, but I took it back.

I ran the RCA cable along with a red 18 gauge wire (for the reverse wire on the head unit) down the left side of the hatch area. Then along the door sill on the rear and front left doors. Then up under the steering wheel and into the stereo area. I still had an extra 2 feet of RCA lead, so I wrapped it up, tie wrapped it, and stuffed it behind the head unit. I hooked the 18 gauge wire to the reverse wire on the head unit.

I hooked the reverse lead from the camera and the reverse lead from the head unit together and then spliced into the reverse light hot on the left tail light.

That's it, took me a few hours, someone that knew what they were doing could do it in under an hour. Camera works great. However, I purposely bought a CCD camera from one of the popular Ebay Chinese vendors. It came in 10 days, very quick shipment, but the spec sheet says it's a CMOS camera. And the Ebay vendor doesn't know the difference when I wrote to them. Not surprising, but the CMOS camera works fine.

Personally I would like it if the Camera was aimed a little higher, so I may play with that.

11. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I initially had that problem and in the end, I took the plastic outside trim off and was then able to easily mount the camera in the slot (just bend the camera clips back a bit and it will slide in). No cutting needed. Bonus is you also have a nice hole (door release catch) through which to drop your camera cable without having to pop out (and get back in) the number plate light.
    Which is why I tried the wireless option first :)

12. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "WIRELESS Reverse Rear View Camera for Toyota Camry 09" eBay, FactoryKiss... 14 days from Shanghai to Portland, Maine.

Untested but appears to be good quality... and would you believe it? Made in China!

13. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just added a switch so I can also manually switch to rear view camera when I feel like it.

Because the rear camera is powered from the rear windscreen wiper connector, it is always on, so to get a manual option I was able to use a SPDT switch mounted to the dash. Connect the switch as follows:

common = to reverse signal wire on head unit.
    terminal 1 = from prius reverse wire on pin29.
    terminal 2 = +12v (you can get this from the power connector at the head unit)

In normal mode, the switch routes the prius reverse wire to the head unit reverse wire. The head unit shows the rear view when the prius is in reverse.

In switched mode, the +12v is connected to the head unit reverse wire and the head unit shows the rear view all the time.

14. priusito_de_mi_vida

priusito_de_mi_vida Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My connections were:

wire 1) 0 V: to rear chasis.

wire 2) + 12 V: to + 12 V head unit ignition. So the camera only works when HU is on. It is logic...who needs the camera on when the hu is off?

wire 3) from +12 backlight to head unit. This one brings the rear view on to the HU display when backwards.

15. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When my HU is off, it will still show the backup camera. :rockon:

16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  17. 06d

06d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    this is kind of OT but for your avic z110 where did you find your vss/ vehicle speed sensor wire to tap in to?
    thanks in advance

18. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had to replace my 3rd party rearview camera, as it started to be blurry again. The same problem I had 15 month ago or so. I decided to buy the CCD based camera instead of CMOS. $40 shipped, not bad. The picture is reasonable better then from CMOS, so I recommend to go this way for prospective buyers.
    Few weeks ago I read the post where the poster displays his procedure to deal with rubber sealing between rear door plastic panel and lower glass. He taped the rubber to the glass, but I have more quick procedure using the heavy fishing rope or tennis racket string. I placed the string between glass and plastic panel before final placement and after the fitment of panel I pulled out the string - the images are self explaining.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very good tip, PaJa, as getting that rubber to lie flat caused me ten minutes of struggle, with the risk I was going to tear it.

I'm on my second rear view camera, too, as the first one filled with water. I tried to seal up the new one by running thin varnish around the edge of the lens joint, as that's where my first one leaked. So far it's OK, but it will take some prolonged winter weather to test it, as it seems to be condensation and frost that drives water into the camera I think.

Jeremy

20. priusito_de_mi_vida

priusito_de_mi_vida Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hi!, my HU is "on" as soon as i turn on the car or push the power button. I mean, the HU lights come on, but nor radio nor cd are working. In that state rear camera works.

The only way i can't see the rear view is with the car off.

These cameras are rear poor quality...mine is the second i have. Let's see how many time it lasts.

Regards.