1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New car; but still impressed with my 2013 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Grren4ever, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Hey Everyone,

I have not logged on for ages and I hope all is well with everyone. I thought I would put a post up on my experience with my 2013 Prius since it is the 4 year mark now. It has been fully paid off and I have 65K kms on it to this date

What inspired me to write this is that I recently purchased a 2018 WRX. This is not to show off that I have another car! Rather, after driving the WRX for 2 weeks now and going back in forth between the 2 cars, I appreciate so much that the Prius offers. I have the Canadian sport package Prius w/low profile tires and I've installed coilovers yet the ride is so much more comfortable and quieter than the WRX. Surprisingly, theres no rattles in the Prius after 4 years. It's just a calm driving car that looks good, makes very good sense to drive in the busy city and as a bonus saves you a ton in gas. The mods I've done to it makes it fun and zippy around corners. The flying buttress interior looks great and is well thought out / executed.

Even the smallest details of the Prius are drool worthy. Like how the coefficient of drag is almost on-par with that of a Tesla model S. And that special wheel bearings, and under car panels help the car be the most efficient it can be. These are things that the WRX doesnt have.

Of course it would be nicer if the prius had a bit more power to it but it does a very damn good job at what it is designed for. Driving a sports car like the WRX and then coming back, it really makes me appreciate what this car is - it's a freaken awesome hybrid! This comment coming from someone who has a sports car is probably a highest complement the Prius can receive.

I intend to keep it until it dies but whatever car I replace it with is definitely going to be a hybrid and from Toyota. As for the WRX, it's also great in its own ways. Long term however, the Prius is definitely the keeper in my books.

20171026_112121.jpg

20171025_140455.jpg

Happy November to everyone and stay warm.

#1 Grren4ever, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. Micah429

Micah429 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Grren4ever, I can relate! I'm in a similar boat. I owned a 2016 Mustang V6 manual trans, and loved the hell out of it. However, I live near Washington D.C. where traveling a few miles can take an hour or more. The manual trans became a huge headache in rush hour traffic, plus my wallet suffered from filling up once/twice a week.

I don't regret switching to my Prius - absolutely love it. There were some odd looks from colleagues and friends when they found out I had gone from an iconic muscle car to a hybrid; I'll admit it has taken some getting used to. But the ridiculous amount of money I'm saving, plus the removal of wear and tear on my left leg makes it all worth it ;)

Good on you for getting a Subie. Super fun car (plus they rock in bad weather). Happy November!

pilotgrrl and Grren4ever like this.
  3. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Thanks for the comment Micah429. Wow the mustang must of had a very heavy clutch. We're definitely in a similar boat..hahah. Well glad we both love our Priuses. They say these cars last forever. Have you sat in a new Prius yet? It's mechanically ahead of what we have but the styling is a bit odd.

4. Micah429

Micah429 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have - a friend of mine at work has a 2016. The styling is a bit weird I agree.
    The Mustang clutch was great actually, but when you're in rush hour traffic for two hours a day, shifting from 1st to 2nd and back gets old really quick. I can now claim that I owned my dream car and it brought a lot of enjoyment, but I'm glad to start this new chapter with the Prius.

5. James Powers

James Powers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am in the same boat as you, as well. I came from a WRX to the Prius. Mine was an 07 WRX, bigger turbo, full exhaust, pro-tune, suspension, you name it - it had it performance-wise. A 350HP/350TQ to the wheels angry all-wheel-drive monster. I moved and found myself with a 55 mile one way commute on one of the busiest freeways in Northern CA.. Fueling up every 2-3 days, leg day everyday with the clutch.. 2 kids crammed in the backseat.. The exhilarating drive just wasn't worth the hole in my wallet.

Never once did I think would drive a Prius, let alone own one. But it was the best investment I've made in a long time. While I miss the pure performance of my WRX. The gas mileage by itself makes up for it. Regularly see 54MPG's. The kids have leg room and their Recaro car seats get a giggle when people realize they are in a Prius lol.

pilotgrrl, Grren4ever and RMB like this.
  6. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Hey James,

Thanks for the comment. Holy crap sounds like you had a beast of a wrx. I am finding mine harder to live with. Filling up with premium gas on my first tank was $85 compared to the prius which was like $43. I'll see how it goes. I've never had a sports car in my life and i'm almost 40 so I wanted the wrx. I will most likely return it after the 2 year lease expires.

I see you have suspension waiting to be put in the Prius. Looking forward to hearing your experience with the new shocks / springs.

Cheers,

James Powers likes this.
  7. James Powers

James Powers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have to own a sports car at least once in your life, right? Pure performance, its a great car and I will eventually get another one for track days but for regular commuting, like you said, it just burns a hole..

Thanks man! I really wanted to get coils for it but new shocks and springs were half the price so I will 'live' with it for now lol.