1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New car, first impressions (coming from a Gen 3)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Steve Ball, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Steve Ball

Steve Ball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I picked up my 2021 AWD-e LE on Tuesday, and thought I'd record first impressions before I get used to everything and don't notice anything!

Coming from a 2012 Gen 3 (which I still own), the first thing is MPG: 15% more! My commute with my Gen 3 is mostly highway, 60-80mph for most of the journey and a little bit of city at the end... I used to get 44-45mpg in my Gen 3, and two journeys yesterday and this morning got me 52mpg in my new car. Actually, this morning was 53mpg. 15% improvement! That pleases me!

Audio: I have the standard 7" audio, and this is compared to the standard audio in my Gen 3 Level 2: sound is not as good; not as deep and not as around. Bass seems more hollow. I'll live with it - but just commenting.

Cabin noise: much quieter than my Gen 3 at low speeds, but seems a little noisier at highway speeds. Especially what I think is the battery module fan: it's quite loud!

Seats: not quite as comfortable, seem thinner and less padded than the Gen 3, but only marginally.

Instrumentation: much better. I have the split-screen showing MPG, and using the HV display I can keep an eye on whether I'm in ECO or Power or charge etc., plus see battery depletion. Much clearer, nicer, and I like it. Also, I like the each-trip display: I like having the A and B trip, but the "this journey" is very useful and much preferred!

Gizmos: the parallel park feature is fun, worked well; I'll not use it (I can park fine), but fun. The lane trace is OK, but not very solid - it doesn't like sharp turns, nor does it stay in lane that well unless it's a very slight turn. The radar cruise is EXCELLENT. It worked well from a cruise to stop-go traffic and gave my right foot much relief for parts of my commute; I also like the distance it keeps from the vehicle in front. BSM useful also.

Ride: good. Performance seems a little quicker than the Gen 3, and was quick up to 100mph. I do not drive at this speed usually, but I like to run a car up to it to see how it fares. This car got there quite quickly compared to the Gen 3, which huffs and puffs its way there... (note that I then quickly returned back to 70mph!!).

All in all, I'm pleased. I think it's a definitely noticeable and good improvement over the Gen 3 for functionality.

BellevilleMXZ, krmcg and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice write up, thank you!(y)

3. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Yep, comparing my 21 LE AWD with my wife's 17 LE I had similar impressions. I've added a memory foam seat cushion (with heater and massage) which makes it more comfortable for my skinny butt. The ridiculous backup noises and alien speaker stuff has to go...will try to get my dealer to turn them off or, at least, down when I bring her in for the 6-month service. (I'll be changing the oil myself in a week or so...just went over 1,200 miles.) Don't want to risk have anything in there, like metal shavings, causing damage from the manufacturing and assembly processes.
    The 17 never got better then 58 mpg but my first two tanks in the 21 were 65 mpg. (Mostly country driving to work, 45-55 mph) I suspect it's the new OW-16 oil and the tweaks they've made to the engines to run on the lighter oil.

4. Steve Ball

Steve Ball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I will also change the oil myself after around 800 miles, for the same reason as stated - can't hurt, can only help. Also, even though I do get free oil changes, I'll do the other oil changes myself: I had free oil changes in my 2012, and the dealer managed to misplace the plastic access hatch [likely discarded it to make future oil changes easier], overtightened the crappy plastic oil filter housing, did not torque one of the lug nuts on the front-right wheel such that I lost a bolt... sigh.

So I'll just do it myself - I enjoy these things anyway and it's not very hard to do! And do much better, to boot!

5. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Yep, my son-in-law brought my daughter's 2012 Sienna somewhere for an oil change and they severely over-torqued her plastic canister so it now spins all the way in so I ordered a new metal replacement with the directive that they let only me do oil changes for them.

I have a friend who is an assistant manager at a local Walmart with an automotive service department and he has stories of the "technicians" ruining engines but the scariest thing he told me is that Toyota will hire the guys away from them to work as lube guys in the dealership! (I pray they, at least, get retrained.) Whenever anybody touches my vehicles (which is rare) I always do a verification before I drive away. (Trust but verify!)