1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new car with very bad mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by andrejsvk, Dec 28, 2017.

1. andrejsvk

andrejsvk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everybody, I have just picked up the new prius from the dealer and I had very terrible MPG for the first drive. It was 320 km (approx 200 miles) and I was trying hard for good MPG. I had 4,9 l/100km (48mpg). I have also the previous prius and on the same trip I always get less then 4l/100km in the same conditions (more then 58mpg). I have 16" wheels with propper pressure and same tires as on gen 3. Also the engine has very rough sound and actually sounds way worse then the old gen3 I have. Is it possible that this is only because the car is brand new or should I be worried something is wrong? Thank you

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you saying this is a gen 4 Prius? All I have seen have either 15" or 17" wheels, not 16" Heavier rims, non-LRR tires, and low tire pressures can reduce fuel economy.
    When I picked up my 2017 with 15" wheels a year ago, it said I got 59 mpg on the 150 mile drive home from the dealer. (US gallons)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wouldn't worry, but i think most folks feel the gen 4 is a bit quieter.
    check the oil level, and go back to the dealer and drive another one to compare.
    i don't like comparing trip mpg, but would prefer tank fulls, preferably several. there are a lot of factors that can effect a trip, for better or worse.
    do both cars have 16" wheels? the new tires might cost a couple mpg's until they are broken in.
    is it colder there? winter formula petrol?

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. andrejsvk

andrejsvk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes gen 4 https://photos.app.goo.gl/WZHxIcInfGossqcE3, it was sold with 17" but I bought another set of tires with alloy rims for winter. And those are 16" as toyota does not allow 15" in europe as replacement. Same for my gen 3. Toyota did not allow 15" so I had to buy second 16" set. I have the same pressure on gen 3 and gen 4, same tires Nokian WR D3 with same sizes. The only difference it that gen 3 has 120k miles and this one is brand new and that the new one sounds worse then the old one.

5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice choice of color. I like the black roof too.
    Was there any difference in the trim levels between the Gen 3 & Gen 4? Some people notice road noise more in the lower trim Gen 4, depending on the tires. Toyota uses several different OEM tires on the Gen 4, likely depending on available stock.
    Winter tires are generally noisier too. It could be just a combination of factors. Test driving another one is a good idea.

RCO likes this.
  6. andrejsvk

andrejsvk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you, the petrol is the same and no dealer here in slovakia have a gen4 to compare. I even ordered this one without seeing one live before (I had a gen 3 so I felt confident buing it without seeing). It is not a very popular car here. The sound is quieter but very rough, almost diesel like. I will give it a few more tanks before going back to dealer. It is maybe only some fuel problem (dealer filled in 10liters from canister). Oil level is fine, I checked it as first thing due to the sound.

RCO, bisco and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you tend to leave the Nokian tires on all year? If not, a drive with the OEM wheels could help narrow down the possibilities.

8. andrejsvk

andrejsvk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you, trim level is the middle one, same for gen 3. The road noise nothing compared to the gen 3 and even the engine is quieter but the sound of the engine is terrible. It really feels like old spark plugs or something.

9. andrejsvk

andrejsvk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no I use goodyear efficient grip performance 215/35 r17 for summer. Funny thing is that winter tires have better fuel efficiency as they are 195/55 r16

RCO likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you record the sound and post it here?

11. andrejsvk

andrejsvk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will swith the tires between gen 3 and gen 4 if the problem remains after few tanks but they are the exact same tires.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some people say a new car needs break in, but i have never experienced it. maybe get both cars to the dealer and have a mechanic listen to both engines.

RCO likes this.
  13. andrejsvk

andrejsvk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sure, will try tomorrow. I had clogged egr cooler and blown valve on the gen 3 (toyota paid the repair even when the car was way out of warranty) and it still did not sound as bad. It is not loud but feels very unnatural.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When reading that, this is popping into my head :) :

upload_2017-12-28_9-58-27.png

What size are the tires? Maybe they're non-stock, different outside diameter? If they're significantly larger outside diameter that could throw off the odometer and increase wind resistance. What are the tires too?

Also, what speeds were you travelling? MPG drops very significantly and fast at sustained high speeds, for example.

Addendum: maybe there's a stock 16" tire in your country, I'm likely completely off the mark on that, sorry. But yeah, what speeds were you doing on this initial drive? High speeds will depress mpg.

#14 Mendel Leisk, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  15. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My experiences are the opposite. Engine sound and ride comfort are improved over previous generation (I did have 17 inch wheels). MPG is reduced in winter time for sure as you know. If issue persists after a couple tank fill and tire change then have the dealer run a diagnostics and check the engine compartment for any loose panels or covers. Your car looks sharp, good luck.

RCO likes this.
  16. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    215/35 r17 - would give you a different rolling circumference from the original (215/45R17). That would make a substantial difference to both your speed distance readout as well as your mileage calculation. The 16" wheels are only about 1% different from the originals though.

I would never take much notice of the 1st trip, nor the first fill. And the dashboard display is only a computed figure from a number of sensors, and can be a few percent out (though generally optimistic).

You need to completely ignore the first one, fill the tank (first click only) even if the dealer says they've filled it, zero TRIP A, drive for at least ½ a tankful, fill and calculate with a spreadsheet or calculator.

RCO likes this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We do not know if the fuel from the canister was fresh fuel. That could make the engine run rough. You

RCO likes this.
  18. johnsontsui

johnsontsui New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

best answer.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  19. YannGC

YannGC New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    IMG_3616.JPG
    I am very much delighted with my Prius Prime Petrol management. Very much a great investment

iPhone ?

20. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    How cold is it in Slovakia right now?

We are in the middle of a bitter cold snap where I live and as a result my MPG is at an all-time low.

For context:

0B0E5397-1A6C-4D5B-848D-100A3AF359A3.png

RCO likes this.