1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new car with very bad mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by andrejsvk, Dec 28, 2017.

1. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Here is another graph.

Obviously all of us drive differently, and live in different climates. One thing is for sure — no way I will ever get the same kind of mileage driving fast on highways in the Northeast USA in the winters, as my fellow Prius Chat members get driving in heavy traffic in Southern California.

Or even someone the roads of Slovakia in late December!

BFB23DEF-9078-4F9D-A398-2DEB570036CF.png

#21 ATHiker, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  2. farml1234

farml1234 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 2017 4 touring and MPG was great 55 to 58 MPG with the air on , now i'm down in the 30s MPG . What the heck is going on , i run in normal mode

3. John Kuhn

John Kuhn Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's called "winter". If you have the heater on, which most people do, the car won't run in EV mode until fully warmed up. So if you're doing a short trip it's never in EV mode. Plus oil, grease, and tires are stiffer, cold air is denser and harder to push through, and mostly it takes a ton of the energy in the gas just to heat up the engine block and coolant. All energy that's not going to drive the car. In the summer, my 16 mile drive to church will yield a reading of 70 mpg, in single digits the same trip and same speeds shows mid-40's.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it was the USA, we'd expect better MPG in the Gen4 in the cold.
    That's because we all have California low emissions cars, so Gen3 or Gen2 are lower MPG when cold.

Strikes me we do not really know how EU Prii are tuned up by Toyota, but maybe they get better MPG during the warm-up.

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All Gen 4 meet California emissions I believe. Does that mean we can blame California for the mpg hit?
    @Tideland Prius can verify about the emissions on the US cars.

6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some say it's because we're all better driver's over here.... ;):whistle::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mendel Leisk and CoolPrius like this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes the cold MPG in the USA is thanks to Ca.
    That's why Ford hybrids may do better than Prii in non-CARB states when cold, as Ford/GM do not use the 50-state design.
    But I am saying not sure what EU has.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, my part of EU has rather higher gas prices than USA! :mad:

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Man, it's surprisingly hard to get emissions data :| Still can't find it but....

2016/2017 Prius are Tier 2 Bin 3 (AT-PZEV), as is all Prii from 2004 onwards. (2001-2003 Prius were SULEV)

2018 Prius should fall under Tier 3 Bin 70 (it may range from Bin 50 to Bin 80 ish depending on the actual values of NOx, HCs, CO2 and evaporative emissions).

10. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't believe winter and summer blends of gas and then there is ethanol were mentioned.

We have no gas here without ethanol.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So maybe Toyota gives you better MPG when cold to compensate (there is an MPG/emssions trade off when cold).. Here me yesterday it was about 22F my Prius reading is off +5:
    Prius_winter.JPG

12. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    do not know, here it's been between 31&36°F and wet, occasionally storm force winds and I'm still averaging 65 UK mpg. That's 54 US mpg.

13. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, I purchased a brand new 2017 Prius with 9 miles on it, but, it's been bitterly cold here... between 0 and 20 F since I purchased it on Monday and I'm getting abysmal mileage. I managed to eek out 41 mpg a few days ago, but that's the best I've seen. At first I was chalking it up to warming/defrosting the car while cleaning it, but after my last trip across town I'm beginning to worry a wee bit. The temperature was 19 f and I was *NOT* running my heater or stereo and I only got 32 mpg (I was not driving aggressively)... (also, the car was already warmed up, so I didn't warm it up prior to driving it).

It's actually going to be above freezing tomorrow, so maybe that will make a difference? Anyone else seen similar numbers when the temp is particularly low? Should I be concerned?

#33 KilgoreTrout, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably you will get 55+ in summer. Winter we have lower energy gaso, higher rolling resistance, thicker lubes, etc.
    In my graphic, when I see 50+ MPG by 20 minutes after start up, say on a 55 MPH road, then I know it's working well.
    Laws of thermodynamics are against us in winter.

RCO likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Plus the car's programming I think: it's aware of lower winter ambient temps, likely making adjustments.

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you let the car run to warm up first? That hurts mpg a lot. The Prius seems to take a while to adjust when the ECUs are new. Today here it was so cold I barely made 39 mpg. I regularly get over 60 in the summer.

RCO likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Prius Chat. You're not the first to experience low mileage when the thermometer's in the blue. Your journey distance is important for economy, fewer than 10 miles and it is worse than you might expect. I'm confident you'll get a marked improvement as the weather warms up. To top it all, you need to get an average mpg over a full tank of gas and don't worry about the individual short journeys.

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The first tank or 2 are generally lower too. Please add the state to your profile location so we can better help. There are many cities with that name in the US.

RCO likes this.
  19. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks everyone. :)
    WJTracy, I think part of my issue is short running times, as you alluded to. It's not really had a chance to stretch its legs yet, given the current prevailing atmospheric conditions (we've had snow all week).

Mendel, can you explain what you mean?

Prodigy, wasn't aware that the first few tanks were like that... I plan on taking a 600 mile trip next week (1200 mile round trip), so I look forward to I increased numbers on my trip back. Oh, I live in Lexington, KY, will update my profile with more info in a bit.

RCO, somewhere between 19 and 29 f, my mpg went up significantly (~42mpg), as you suggested, so I'm fine, just a little bit hypochondriacal, it would seem.

And a question for everyone... anyone have any pointers about how to keep your windows clean when it's 5 f and snowing? My wipers kept freezing up and leaving big streaks.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry I don’t know about the wiper issue. I have not had that experience in the past year.