1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Cat converter installed. Having acceleration problems?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ian Simons, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Ian Simons

Ian Simons Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had my new catty installed (autosaver88 kind) , and I’m having power problems and it hasn’t even been a week. I had a new short block installed because of oil consumption (warranty) so I’d don’t think it’s clogged already?

Could it be something else other then clogging for which the aftermarket cat it’s reducing acceleration power? TY in advance

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have any warning light being displayed on the dash, or OBD2 codes when scanned with a toyota hybrid compatible scanner?

3. Ian Simons

Ian Simons Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the red triangle of death. I can check the codes tomorrow (and will post them). I’m pretty sure it has to do with the cat.. due to how I press the gas’s pedal harder on inclines and it doesn’t have the power to go above 40..

I just hoped it not clogged as it was just installed.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did they replace the o2 sensor?

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oil consumption warranty? On an 07? What's that?

Red Triangle of Death RTOD which is a fatal code will not be thrown upon anything to do with emissions. Emissions failure will throw a non blinking Check Engine light.
    If you see a Blinking Check Engine light that's not emissions related and serious so pull over and look.

Most common RTOD failures are dead inverter coolant pump (no circulation in inverter coolant reservoir) or bad hybrid battery. Probably bad hybrid battery as it sounds like your in limp mode.

You need a prius capable code reader for an RTOD. A standard code reader will not pull a Prius hybrid code.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can't shake the idea that it's more helpful to people to call that triangle light what Toyota calls it, the Master Warning Light.

If you look at the thirty-one page "diagnostic trouble code chart" in the repair manual (more info), say starting on page HV-57 in the 2006 edition, you get a good idea how many different reasons there are for the master warning light to come on. It's a 31 page table with as few as seven codes per page and more often fourteen to twenty per page, and out of all those are only about eight that do not light the master warning light.

There's also a wide spread in how "fatal" those conditions are, which you find in the "fail-safe chart" a few pages earlier (HV-42 through HV-50 for 2006, only nine pages because it's more dense, with 20 to 40ish codes per page). The rightmost column in that chart shows the car's behavior for each code, which can include "limited driving", "normal driving", "regenerative brake ineffective", "cruise control driving impossible", "impossible to drive", or "normal driving*" where the asterisk means until you power down and impossible after that.

The takeaway is the master warning light comes on for a lot of different reasons, and the way to find out why it did come on is to read the trouble codes.

8. Ellis Fereday

Ellis Fereday Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ian, just had my cat stolen in Calif. Curious what route you went with your replacement like thru insurance? as I was thinking my 05 might be totaled by my ins. company. appreciate any assistance as I am on a limited income. thanks fereday atgmail