1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Commercial. Who Wants To Drift?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Netcub, Dec 16, 2015.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Or the traditional Prius buyer has jumped ship to ever more eco friendly alternatives such as the Leaf, Tesla, plug in's etc, so Toyota now have to appeal to other buyers? Isn't it a ridiculous percentage of Leaf owners that came from a Prius?

And are Toyota still considered 'green' or eco? The Mirai, the mocking of plug in's in commercials etc. They offer fuel efficient hybrids for sure, but are they the super green and economical choice they once were? And as others have said, petrol is cheap at the moment (even in the UK where it's the cheapest since 2009), so fuel economy is far from many peoples eyes. If they want a cheap to run car, they get a plug in. With rebates these are often about the same price as a Prius anyway.

Finally, the new Prius is absolutely no use as a taxi, a role the car has in cities around the world. Whether this was deliberate or not, it'll affect sales and used prices. Rear head room is slightly lower, but the roof line on the back doors is now too extreme and people will be banging their heads when they get in or out - with resultant legal shenanigans that involves. Toyota have lost another market, and the Prius+/Prius V is too expensive for what it is.

I fear this gen4 won't be the same sales success as earlier models.

[​IMG]

cmth, Tideland Prius and bwilson4web like this.
  2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    GenI - Function over form
    GenII - Function over form
    GenIII - Most notable improvements in form, not function
    GenIV - Form over Function
    GenV - Form over Function
    GenVI - Discontinued due to lack of sales...

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Best one yet - that's true. But with the giant doll made of humans/prior POS's they put out, heck, the bar was set mighty low.
    ;)
    That said, yea, it was kind of puffed when you see a prius doing burn outs.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i chirped the from tyres from a red-light in the rain yesterday.:whistle:

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I didn't think it through, but was wondering the same thing: it's looking very untaxilike.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whatever.

Netcub likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps we need to let it 'get born' before we write the obituary.

If the 'Prius+/Prius V' comes with sliding rear doors or 'suicide' rear doors that swing the "B" pillar, I would have a very easy decision. This would make it much easier to get my wife's wheel chair in and out.

Bob Wilson

Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not writing it's obituary...as a whole.
    I think the evolution could be great. In any case, it's inevitable.

If I'm writing it's obituary, it's only for something that evidently has died. That is an obituary for The Prius that was somewhat "geeky".

I for one, loved The Prius for what it wasn't as much as what it was....a horse of a different color, a hybrid with hybrid fuel efficiency.

If Hollywood wanted to riddle the Prius with bullets, if Southpark wanted to portray ownership as a delusional exercise in self righteous self indulgence, if Jeff Dunham wanted to wax comedic poetic about his unmanly baby blue Prius? I didn't care.

If "they" thought the joke was on us? I could laugh right along with them, knowing the real punchline was on them. The Prius is a great vehicle. And it was a great vehicle without posing like a fashion model, or squealing tires and hair pin turns. And part of the reason I liked The Prius was that it wasn't these things, and seemingly "we" the owners didn't care, and in fact took some pride in the difference.

That at least from Toyota's perspective- with advertising- is something they seem to want to kill. That it seems is something that has died. Toyota seems focused on wanting to kill it.

In the end however, with all the new sheet metal and creases, and the improved suspension, and a whole new advertising campaign embracing a more "mainstream" view of a Prius, it will be the buyers, and owners that will define what a Prius means to themselves.
    As much as Toyota seems to NOT want to mention it, it's still a 50 mpg +, efficient hybrid. Even if Toyota wants me to know The Gen 4 is a chick magnet and capable of zero gravity turns at high speed.

It's all good. I'm happy for improvement. I hope Toyota does reach a new, broader and perhaps younger audience for The Prius. But it does seem to me, for a vehicle that arrived in the US, with a flashing "Turtle" icon? .....something has died.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, I'm pretty sure Toyota designed the Prius for private ownership and not specifically for taxis.

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah but hooboy, that's a BIG part of it up here, maybe 50% of sales??

I think if the Prius is going to sell, it'll be in spite of the sales campaign. Oh, I do not know...., it's starting to feel like "Who Killed the Electric Car".

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This commercial is spot on. I like how it appeals to the younger crowd. Toyota already has a good reputation with the older mature generation, they need to convince the young people to buy this. It's marketing right?

bisco likes this.
  12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Agreed, but look on any taxi rank the world over and what do you see in increasing numbers? The US, Canada, Australia, the UK, France etc all have thousands of vehicles. Are we sure that public buyers will be flocking to make up the number?

It could be that Toyota wanted to get away from the taxi image, but it was also good for advertising. How many people have said that "if it's good for hard taxi work, it'll be fine for what I use it for"? Lots. It proved a point on the technology and also the brand. If people start seeing Tesla's and Leaf's (with bigger batteries) on the ranks in future, which car are they going to turn to?

13. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Slightly off topic, but we'll have self driving taxi's in a few years anyway.
    [​IMG]

More on topic, Toyota needs a director's cut of that commercial where the little green plant gets crushed at the end.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe we should wait to see it, to decide if it will work for taxi's. there's no question that the future in large cities is alt fuel all the time. if toyota really wants it, they'll get it. maybe they're tired of the whining cabbies.:p

15. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Very well said!

The Electric Me likes this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is true but on the flip side, you don't want to be selling to fleet vehicles like GM and Chrysler do as a place to move excess inventory. Some jurisdictions are taking the next step, requiring greater electrification of vehicles for the next round of taxis that are coming into the fleet (including my area but it's in the discussion stage at this point. I don't believe it's been implemented but I have seen a handful of PiP taxis).

Toyota probably already knows that. It's targeting a different set of buyers because it knows those that originally bought the Gen 1 and 2 Prii will move onto BEVs or at least PHEVs. I would Toyota would try harder to retain Prius owners by creating a competitive PHEV but oh well. I was told they were more concerned with providing a cheaper PHEV rather than one with greater range. They've done it - The PiP is quite a bit cheaper than the Volt (before tax rebates/credits). The thing is, the pioneers are willing to pay more for greater range like they were willing to pay for a Gen 1 or 2 Prius for greater mpg.

The number of people I've met that said "hey, I heard that Tesla's building a more affordable EV that's coming in a few years, right? Yeah I'm waiting for that one" is astonishing. And to further that, they are NOT car people. They're just regular folks that are looking for a vehicle and are waiting for the Model III. Whether they'll purchase it or not remains to be seen but basically everyone and their dog is knows about (and wants to own) the next Tesla model - a car that doesn't even exist yet. The Model S truly is the definitive halo car.

17. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Problem is, you can not get cheap long range ev. Batteries are not cheap and you can't get efficiency of evs up by much. That will mean that the vehicle that tesla will make will need a battery like one in tesla atm and that is one expensive battery. Not to mention that the cost of eventualy replacing that expensive battery after some years of use. Those batteries are using deeper cycles meaning that they can be charged less times than for e.g. ones in Prius. I still want to see how well Teslas will work 3-4 years for now when people realise that they have to replace an expensive battery o an old car.

18. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Interesting read: Tesla Model S 85kw Battery Replacement Cost | Forums | Tesla Motors
    So how will they make a 30k$ car if the batteries on current tesla cost more then that would be car....confused I am.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    government subsidies?:p seriously though, their new battery factory is supposed to have a profound impact on battery costs.

20. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Not sure about the others but I saw Gen 3 as having significant improvements in function but a step backwards in form.