1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Computer

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jennjay, Aug 31, 2006.

1. triphop

triphop New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jennjay @ Sep 3 2006, 10:36 PM) [snapback]313769[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing wrong with HP. Actually, if you look closely, HP is quite ok. Its not really as if DELL actually is an innovator or anything - they pretty much resell whatever their OEM partners produce. HP, on the other hand, is completely capable of great R&D.

/ Only thing great about DELL is their logistics, and thats a one trick pony.
    // Check out their stock price - its going down, fast.
    // Apple can produce some good hardware.

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Aug 31 2006, 07:31 PM) [snapback]312523[/snapback]</div>
    priusenvy

My old standby Dell desktop just died and this is what I ordered from newegg.com today.

1 - ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

1 - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

1 - eVGA 01G-P2-N592-AX Geforce 7950GX2 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual GPU Video Card - Retail

1 - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail

1 - Western Digital Raptor WD360ADFD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

2 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

1 - APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-Navigator ATXA9NW-BL/500 Black/Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 500W daul 12V (Ver. 2.03) Power Supply - Retail

I plan to use the WD Raptor 10K RPM for the OS and Programs and put all the data/files on the two Seagate Barracudas in a RAID 1 (striped) configuration.

With shipping and tax I got it for just over $1950.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Wildkow

p.s. I already have a nice Dell 19' flatpanel and plenty of CD/DVD drives as well as older IDE drives I can use for backup. Now all I need is a copy of Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jennjay @ Sep 3 2006, 07:36 PM) [snapback]313769[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds sweet! We'll have to start a Core 2 Prius club if this keeps up! HP IMHO always seems to keep a closer eye on quality than other PC builders. Besides that, it's a company that takes good care of their employees so don't feel bad. I have never used migration software to transfer anything but raw data. I usually use the "Files and Settings Transer Wizard" within WinXP and for anything else left over I just hook the old drive to the new system and do a simple copy/paste. I would strongly urge you te reconsider moving anything other than that especially if you are considering moving programs. It just ain't worth the hassle. Install everything new, confirm it is working them move only your essential data over.

Wildkow

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The new system went together beautifully and has been running without any problems (that is, once I figured out the motherboard had two power connectors and needs the second, 4-pin power connector connected in order to boot).

[​IMG]

I know a lot of former HP employees who would strongly disagree with you. Ever read the book "The HP Way"? All that ended when Lew Platt retired and Carly took over. I worked for HP briefly in the late '80s when John Young was CEO (and when they were still considered a desirable employer).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 4 2006, 12:12 AM) [snapback]313872[/snapback]</div>
    That is good advice. If you ever wondered how much cruft accumulated over the years is slowing your Windows system, run "msconfig" and take a look at all the crap that gets launched startup. Start with a clean system and only install what you need.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(triphop @ Sep 3 2006, 07:49 PM) [snapback]313777[/snapback]</div>
    I've never done this, but I've heard that if you do a patent search on Dell, you'll find that their patents are around supply chain management and their BTO process. No patents on technology at all. If you weren't familiar with Dell as a company you might find it very odd that the #1 PC vendor had no technology patents, but if you are familiar with them, it makes perfect sense.