1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New design for the Toyota Prius HeatShield Sunshade

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Danny, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just wanted to let everyone know that there is a new design out for the Canvasworks HeatShield Sunshade. As always, you can find the lowest price on these sunshades in the PriusChat Shop:

http://priuschat.com/shop/product_info.php...4/products_id/1

The new design covers the two little triangle windows on the dash:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    cool.

Hmm, I think I'm starting to tip over to the "other" side of the fence. I noticed that the heatshield stays upright for the first few times. After a few times in the heat, it becomes softer and starts to sag. Aside from efusco's modifcation of adding support, did CanvasWorks do anything different to this new model?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with Tideland. I was hoping that by "new design" it would have been modified to address the real and troublesome issue of sagging. Not the non-existant issue of blocking those insignificant little triangular windows. That's not where any significant light enters unless the sun is coming in from the side of the car, and if that's the case then you need sun shades on the entire side glass.

4. marjam

marjam Member

I recently bought the sun shade and I think that it is the new one pictured. It is new so it hasn't sagged yet but I find it hard to remove and roll up. It does cover the side A pillar windows and I agree that that probably is not really necessary. It sure works well, though.

5. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but how long will it take for the foam to buckle and fall inwards. My advice, spend the extra money and get a UVS 100 (or wait for the seller to get a clue and put some battens in it! Duh) What a stupid gimic!

6. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brasche @ Jul 24 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]291750[/snapback]</div>

I sure wish one of Toyota sees this web site. We could offer a lot of advice from the real world for them to add features to the 2008. How about a sunshade that is motorized and covers all of the windows entirely? Down from the roof for the back, up from the doors for the windows and up from the dash for the font and A-frames. :rolleyes:

Until then I want shades for all the windows so my wife and I can drive around see the country and at night pull into a state park. After dinner and drinks around a wonderful campfire we could put the shades up lay the seats back and watch a movie in surround sound on the MFD. I am hopeful to do a mod in the future to install a coffee maker in the center console that would remain hidden when not in use. :D

7. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 24 2006, 08:57 PM) [snapback]291742[/snapback]</div>
    What mod did you do to your CanvasWorks shade? Mine sags so much, it nearly slips out from under the visor on the passenger side. Of course, the visor is in the "down" position. I complained to CanvasWorks, and they sent me a replacement shade; it still doesn't work right.

I was thinking about some plastic tubing - the kind they use on Mylar balloons filled with plain air - to support the shade from the base up to near the mirror cutout. Two inch tape is the first thing I thought of to secure it. I was "guessing" at five or six vertical ribs.

8. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think it would be fabulous if they made it more rigid so it would a)stay where you put it...and B) fold instead of roll. Those itty bitty windows don't matter.

9. B Rad

B Rad New Member

I received the NEW style shade 2 weeks ago and it is a perfect fit. Used almost everyday in 105-117 temps and NO sag yet. rolls up pretty easy, unless someone else is in the car, then I tell them to duck.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mmhmm. They stand up on their own for a while, then you have to use the visors.

11. sloflier

sloflier Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Jul 24 2006, 07:31 AM) [snapback]291388[/snapback]</div>
    Cool but...

Today my wife went to the car to remove our heat shield (the old version) and the glue that holds on the Velcro had melted because of our on going heat wave. Anyone else have this problem? I wonder if the new version melts...?

12. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Jul 24 2006, 09:31 AM) [snapback]291388[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hate to rain on your parade -

I received my "expanded" Sunshade about 3 weeks ago. After installing that 'monster' just once, I broke out my sewing machine, cut off the side window ears & reattached the edging. I was NOT happy with all of the wrestling. My wife also gave me hard time about that "Sunshade made for a HumVee!"

Why would a person want those little windows covered anyway? The glass is small & the surrounding frame is so big, that you almost have to be at right angles to see out them.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sloflier @ Jul 24 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]291822[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I haven't had the extreme heat of 40°C OAT but my glue is weakening but I've been carefully not to pull hard on the strap.

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(McShemp @ Jul 24 2006, 09:38 PM) [snapback]291767[/snapback]</div>
    Haven't been able to locate my original post on the subject. I first tried to hot-glue some bicycle flag-pole sections on to the white side of the heat shield, but that didn't hold at all. Finally I actually cut a small hole in the backing and slipped the flag-pole sections b/w the layers of the heat sheild. Nearly invisible and much more sturdy.

Pictures on this page:
    http://www.pbase.com/efusco/prius_only&page=3

15. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With a nod to the good folks at Canvas Works, I got the new style a few weeks ago, and they are refunding. It requires major wrestling to install and remove, sags 4" in the middle (even if you somehow can can the visors down) and the triangle "flaps" do nothing but add major bulk to the roll. And forget about having any passengers in the car while you wrangle this thing in and out... or just go on and club them in the head. :blink: Bad design.

16. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

I also do not like the design either. There are places where the foil is separating from the outside reflective surface. It is difficult to fold, roll, or whatever the preferred method is....I am also contacting them for a refund...there must be a better design out there somewhere...

17. BenR

BenR New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brasche @ Jul 24 2006, 10:12 PM) [snapback]291750[/snapback]</div>
    I have no experience with sunshades, but I did find an online vendor that sells the UVS 100 for the Prius:

http://www.carcoverworld.com/lookup.asp?se...ding_sunshields

18. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BenR @ Jul 25 2006, 05:55 PM) [snapback]292208[/snapback]</div>

Does anyone have experience with this one? After dealing with the sunscreen I bought at the dealer- which really doesn't fit- I am looking for a quality product. And for close to $50, it had better be good. It needs to last more than one summer.

19. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :huh: I spring for the $30 "custom" sunshade for my Prius... My opinion: $30 wasted.

Very difficult to deploy, doesn't really fit right - it's a real wrestling match to get it (more or less) in place. I also note that no "suggestion" sheet comes with the product. I suppose the manufacturer figures that a Prius driver must be smart enough to figure it out, but suggestions would have been welcomed. Haven't had it long enough to experience it getting "soft." Seems hardly worth the effort. Seems a good designer could have developed a much better one. Agreed" The "flaps" to cover the small triangular side windows are not a good idea.

One "upside" to the Dallas TX 100º temperatures: The leftover "travelling coffee" is still good and hot when I start home. :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BenR @ Jul 25 2006, 04:55 PM) [snapback]292208[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BenR -

I seriously doubt that my new (& improved) sunshade will buckle. I've owned three others & have NEVER had any hint of "buckling!"

Thanks anyway -