1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New design for the Toyota Prius HeatShield Sunshade

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Danny, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

zzz

2. sosmillenia

sosmillenia New Member

Spring loaded sunshades are the best in my opinion. They are two big fabric circles (or ovals, rounded squares; connected or separate), that have a thin metal sewn into the border all the way around. They are lightweight and stiff, never sag. Some people have difficulty folding them for storage, sort of like figure 8 twisting them. I had huge ones for my Honda Odyssey van and since the HeatShield sunshade I spent $30 on 7 months ago is now slipping out from under the visors, I'm going to shop for these sunshades at various auto supply stores.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where do you get those anyway? Those that I have were given as gifts so I never figured out who sells those sunshades you speak of. The usual places sell cardboard accordiion-style only or those roller ones.

4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got my circular shades at Target but I wish they were just a tad bit bigger. I would like to get a 2nd one and make small holes that could attach to suction cup hooks on that back window. Those of us in the sunny states really need all the protection we can get.

That being said, I was driving a friend somewhere today and she was giddy with relief at how quickly my AC kicks in....funny how we take all this for granted after we drive this car for a while!

5. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 5 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]314919[/snapback]</div>
    I bought mine at Schuck's Auto Supply here in Spokane. They had a large supply of sizes. The one that fit the Prius just barely fits but it works. It is in two pieces, black on one side and silver on the other. It folds up in seconds and stows between the arm rest and either front seat. There is no sagging. Very handy.

6. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Or, you guys could try the Introtech sunshade @ your local Toyota service center.

How long has this HeatShield lasted for the folks that have it? I'm on 10 years now with the Introtech (albiet replaced once) for my other car, and another 1.5 years with a new one for the Prius, and doesn't have the issues that have been rolling around in this thread.

7. jimklausner

jimklausner Connecticut Yankee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sosmillenia @ Sep 5 2006, 05:18 PM) [snapback]314778[/snapback]</div>
    I have found those at local Wal-Mart. Package indicates the Jumbo size fits Prius 1+ (which I assume means years 2001 and onward). I did not get a price check, however, nor did I buy (yet). Does anyone out there in "Prius land" have any experience with the Wal-Mart offering? Oh, another point. Based on size of the package, I am cynical that the Wal-Mart sunshade would cover full height of the windshield.

8. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ConnecticutYankee @ Dec 30 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]368584[/snapback]</div>
    Wow this thread is dead. It has been a while since anyone has posted anything good or bad on this one. I purchased the canvas works heat shields all the way around for my 05 Prius and have been using a few days. Maybe they should have installed suction cups in the middle....maybe two or three to minimize the sag everyone speaks of. I will find out if they can send me a few suction cup assemblies to see if that works. I am sure I can modify the heat shield to not sag with a few extra suction cups. I have not had mine long enough to sag yet. I wonder why canvas works has not chimed into this thread to say anything at all. Hummmmm Maybe I will copy and Paste this entire thread into an email and send it to them. I am sure the Prius in one of many vehicles they provide sunshields for. I will search for thier web address and email.
    D Rock

9. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

ya.... i'm NOT happy with mine! yes.... when i first got it thought it was great (although a bitch to get installed, like others have said).... but now.... just 2 months after having/using it.... the SAG... UGH!

i paid 30 bucks for this thing! i had custom made/fit styles for both my accord and MDX that both fit great and neither sagged! :angry: so i was very excited to buy this custom fit shade for my new baby... she deserved it, after all...

well now... between the wrestling to get it in (bugs hubby more than it bugs me.... but he gripes EVERY time he's the one using it)..... and the sagging.... i'm just ticked!

so i guess we're supposed to contact canvas works? so what? they'll send us a new one? and who pays postage? better be them!

DO NOT BUY THIS SUNSHADE unless you enjoy clocking people in the head and having a saggy shade!

10. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

I requested some additional suction cups from canvasworks for my heat shield. below is the email I sent them and thier response. I hope to get the suction cup assemblies soon to minimize the sagging problem. If it sags bad enough then I will request a new heat shield when it stops performing as well. We get a three year guarantee. I know, I know...what happened to companies that fabricate great products that never require use of the guarantee??????Bahhh. I like the shield but want it to last many seasons. On that note...I am considering getting the four windows tinted to help reduce the heat along with the use of my heat shields on the front and back.

Dwayne,

We will send the suction cup parts and pieces to the same address we sent the merchandise. As for measurements, we don't have specific measurements as to where to place the suction cups being that we don't design our front heatshield to include suction cups.
    We will look into your inquiries stated in your previous email.
    If you have anymore questions or concerns please feel free to email. We appreciate your business and interest in our product.

-Velma G.

To whom it may concern,
    There are multiple problems with your heat shield that is being used by priuschat members and there is a vast quanity of quality feedback on the shield. Any chance you could become a member and chime into this thread to tell all of us what has been done to upgrade the heat shield to keep it from sagging at a minimum. By the way....do you have a few suction cup assemblies you can send me to install on my front winshield heat shield for my 2005 Toyota Prius and the correct measurements as to where I need to make a hole to install the extra suction cups to prevent sagging on my new heat shield that is about a week old. Or will suction cups in the middle cause the shield to become weaker and fail even sooner than the few months that people at the links below are mentioning? I am very interested to see a post to this topic to dispell any bad thoughts on this product for the prius owners. By the way...I actually like the extra side window flaps on this product....to each his/her own. Please forward to managment if you do not care to take the time to research this issue. Please Advise.

Thank you for your time and maybe reading the post by priuschat.com members,
    Dwayne Dotson

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=22435&st=0

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=22435&st=20

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sosmillenia @ Sep 5 2006, 05:18 PM) [snapback]314778[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I use. I love them. Easy to fold them up and I put them in the pocket behind the passenger seat. (I have GT covers.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 5 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]314919[/snapback]</div>
    Pep Boys. Kragen. Any auto parts store. They might even have them in the auto sections of Target or K-mart(Sears) or stores like that.

I tore the suction cups off one of my shields after using it only a few times. Don't remember if it was a side window or the little triangle window. I glued it back but am hesitant to use it. The back window was a complete waste of money. The suction cups NEVER work and I always come back to find it has fallen off and is laying on the tonneau cover.

I keep these things in case I ever have to park my car outside for several days. But to tell the truth I've done that a few times and have always forgotten to put them in the car. Using them on a daily or regular basis is a pain and quite frankly, for me, it isn't going to happen. There in the garage somewhere.

I'm using the circles with the wire around the edge and then work as well as the Canvasworks. Easier to use. I don't feel it's that much hotter using these as opposed to the Canvasworks heatshields.

The Heatshields is the one product I would never buy again.

michael321 likes this.
  12. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A VERY belated reply: I had one for over 6 years. I lost it a few weeks ago. I was a little beat up, the foamcore folded in a couple spots, but still worked fine. After reading the comments above, I will be ordering another.