1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New desktop build.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by frodoz737, May 7, 2020.

1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since this is the catch all section.

Built my first/only desktop several years ago back when Vista came out (before SP1) because I was tired of the box store crap. It was built to cover anything I could anticipate with family, business, college bound high school kids...plus more. Looking for help because the tech/products/sw has changed a lot since then and before I cross to WIN10 I want to build another box. Below are the specs of my current box which has been a fully reliable, full functioning and left on pretty much 24/7/365 since it was built...only replacing fans as required.

cpu - X3380 (775)
    cpu cooler - 120 tower with push/pull fans (2)
    mb - GA-EP45-UD3R
    gpu - BFG GTX 295
    memory - OCZRPR800C4/8GB
    hd - RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB
    additional PCI/PCIE cards - WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE, USR5610C
    optical drives - Samsung SH-223Q OEM, card reader, Floopy (don't laugh)
    psu - PC P&C S75QB
    box - Antec 180 w/4 ea. 120 case fans
    current s/w - W7-64 Ult, Office 07 Ult, CS5.5 Master, "lots of security"

So...any help out there. It took me months to learn enough to build the above and I just don't have time to learn the current hardware all over again. Emphasis is a rock solid, 24/7/365 machine that will do just about anything...like before. FWIW the current box still functions 100%, but after all these years I think it's time for an upgrade.

Thanks.

#1 frodoz737, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ...and since it's to late to edit, I'm and Intel chipset and NVIDIA gpu person.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How to build a PC: a step-by-step guide to building the best PC | TechRadar
    I'm not much of a gamer and I got off of the Windows train pre-10 - so the only advice I can offer is to assess your needs and try and decide whether or not you really need a desktop in the first place.

I use one every day at work, but even though I have a leftover hp sitting on a desk at home running Linux I seldom turn it on.
    FOR ME.....it's kinda like the 55" 4k TV that I insisted would look great in our living room.
    It does....
    BUT...I almost never watch it.
    In fact....the last 2 movies I watched were on my phone......IN THE living room.

I'll be interested to see what you come up.
    You may want to put a linux distro on the old box just to tinker with.....you know....for the day when you don't want to have to pay to upgrade windows again. :)

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use to built my own desktop windows box from individual components. Did even do CPU cooling mod using Peltier plate for overclocking but stopped doing that when OS became basically always connected machine, I think around Windows 7 or 8 OS. It just made no sense to spend money on retail OS when you can buy a cheap system with OS for less money. I now moved to mostly Chromebook use, I have less need for Windows OS.

Although I don't know much about specs on each components in BYO PC today, in general depending on what you are going to use it, your choice would change vastly. If you are a gamer, you could spend hundreds of $$$ just on video card, but for non-gamer, that would be an overkill. For mainly browsing and some office apps, on-board video chip set is good enough.

#4 Salamander_King, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
  5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Wife and I prefer the desktop platform, running windows...and both of our employers use the same. OS, security and all other s/w is already handled. Type usage has only changed a tick from gamer to autodesk with our Boy grown and gone...so that's just a variant to one piece. I'm looking to upgrade from what was the best 775 had to offer in 2008 IMHO to current. No water cooling, no OC, no fancy lights...just a good 24/7/365 machine that does more than I need. 12+ years is a good run for "any" computer, but I want a "new car" so to speak...and won't buy box-store crap that I have to upgrade, deal with proprietary drivers and reformat day one. ;)

Thanks.

6. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Except for the SuperMicro server motherboard I bought for my FreeNAS machine, I've bought nothing but Asus motherboards for the past 20+ years. Sometimes AMD CPUs, but most recently back to Intel. The onboard video is fine for my needs. GSkill memory (used to like Kingston until they took the memory that they had recommended for that SuperMicro board off their recommended list shortly after I had bought it, and then discontinued it altogether). Antec cases, and if a PSU is not included, SeaSonic. Optical drive: Samsung or LiteOn. (I wouldn't dream of laughing about your floppy drive: I still have at least one combination 5.25/3.5 one.) The case fans I bought most recently are various sizes of Noctua. Most of my hard disks are Seagate, plus a couple of HGST. You might want to think about an SSD for the system drive, plus maybe a hard disk for backups. Bitdefender for security, and maybe even a Bitdefender Box.

You *may* even still be able to get a free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 -- although I prefer Linux and use Windows only for must-have things which do not have a Linux version.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To narrow this down a little...chipset, MB version and CPU. Example, I now have the X3380 ( Xeon vs of Q9650) on a P45.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't built a PC since roughly 1997. Mostly because I need to rent workstation-grade machines that aren't economical to own; they get old too quickly and the tax advantages of rental better suit my business model.

I favor the workstations that HP has been turning out. Over the past few years they have been outstanding. Excellent build quality, very good expandability & parts support, great engineering, and remarkably few (if any) proprietary devices/drivers/B.S.

To be clear I'm not talking about their home/small-office machines, I mean the Z series.

Best of luck!

9. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you pick your CPU (which it looks like you have done already), then get a good motherboard to match it. I've been building since back in the day! Most boards today will fire right up, recognize your Windows version and help you along. Did the AMD route and yes, I am back to Intel as they run consistantly cooler that AMD processors. I still buy separate video cards outside of what the motherboard offers. I just like the extra memory and streaming capabilities. Speaking af memory, its so cheap nowadays! Went ahead and plunked down 4 gigs of crucial memory for the mother board on my last build.

My laptop is my next move. Gonna put in a 1 terabyte solid state drive. Had one in my other laptop. Very fast, quite and cooler running. Anyway, probably didn't answer your question from my rambling on! Best of luck!

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not yet...have to decide chipset first.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Every time I buy I go to a local clone builder, look over what they're offering in pre-built and pick one in the middle of the "office" pack. The one tweak I do is to get an additional internal drive, same size as C: typically, and use it as a back-up drive (using RoboCopy in a script file).

Last time was 2011, they're still going strong. Well I've worn the nubs off the home keys.

About once a year, or whenever the vents are looking pretty dusty, I take them out in the driveway, open them up and blow out the dust.

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Been blowing, updating, backing up and only replaced fans since day one. Key boards and mice are consumables. Still have my original 1920x1200 flat though.

Anyways...

Mendel Leisk likes this.