1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New disabling symptom on 2007 w/85,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jaw444, Feb 9, 2021.

1. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i do want to buy a new battery. I got the last one at Toyota, it was about $200, with labor i think it was around $350, but it's been a good battery, reliable and long lasting even with being neglected so much, i had gotten it from them the last couple of times, it was definitely more than AutoClub's shop referral was asking but i trusted the Toyota one more. The dealer change of management and staff in the service department has me skittish but i'm thinking about it. i can call some other places. I get it from a mechanic service business right? and they install it? or are there places that just sell batteries, like a tire store? Thanks for telling me about using a maintainer and

Thanks for detailed instructions. Now it is in the IN position. i didn't see any difference as far is the red light on the dashboard (shape of a car) or the lights around the key fob place where you put the key if using it. it looks exactly the same. But it's easy to know from the easy to reach button.

i've been looking at maintainers on Amazon, a lot of choices. might go to auto parts store near by. AutoZone i think.

2. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Bad" is a bit of an under statement.

If a car was "perfectly clean" the only two gases coming out the tailpipe would be CO2 and H2O. Under normal conditions the water will condense out before it reaches a high enough concentration to be a problem. The carbon dioxide, on the other hand, could build up to levels high enough to make a person sick or asphyxiate them. So even a "perfectly clean" internal combustion car should not be run in a closed space.

In a real car the situation is much much worse. Generally it is the carbon monoxide that the cat does not remove which proves fatal. It is a potent poison, and even if it does not kill a person outright they may suffer permanent brain (and other) damage. Breathing in NOx and unburnt hydrocarbons isn't so great for a person either.

jaw444 likes this.
  3. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota with labor, is about $310, $231 for the battery. AutoZone had a Durolast for my car for $200 but they won't install it because it's in the back and takes 45 minutes and their guys are also helping customers in sales. i'm going to get one from Toyota.

i've been looking at maintainers on Amazon, hard to find anything just called maintainer, most everything does lots of other things, will probably get one of those.

what's the difference between a trickle charge and maintenance? those are always listed separately, but sometimes used interchangeably.

i really appreciate knowing about this solution.

Attached Files:

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't get a maintainer or trickle charger, especially that 1A NOCO. NOCO is a good brand but look out for a multi-stage (in the range of 3 to 5 Amps) charger with AGM and/or Gel settings. These types of chargers can fully charge a dead battery (and also at any state of discharge – you shouldn't wait for your battery to be fully discharged to put the charger on it) and when the charging is done, it switches to maintaining the battery, so you have the best of both worlds. These can be left on indefinitely without causing an issue and will restart and charge if the battery drops too low. I know that NOCO does this type of charger. Other brands are Harbor Freight and CTEK. Buy the best one you can afford.

When leaving the car on long-term charging, the main trick to learn is to remember to disconnect the charger before driving off. I fashioned a card that I attach to the steering wheel that simply says "Disconnect charger". It works well.

#24 dolj, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    jaw444 likes this.
  5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, that was why I made the first comment in capital letters- it's a bad idea so don't do it. You can kill yourself, but it just takes awhile longer than if it was a carbureted V8 from 60 years ago (those put out much higher levels of CO at a higher rate) .

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jaw444 likes this.
  6. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I was wondering whether the amps mattered. The NOCO has a 5 amp one.
    what happens if you don't disconnect the charger before driving? i think i will remember but i'm often mistaken when i think that.

thanks

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You will likely destroy the extension lead connecting to your charger to the mains socket(and likely blow the fuse).

jaw444 likes this.