1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New double DIN install-2005 with JBL/Nav

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Sadironmusic, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Sadironmusic

Sadironmusic New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got a new radio installed in my 2005 with JBL and Nav tonight. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be (which is good, since I'm going to have to take everything apart again tomorrow to plug in the Bluetooth mic in *sigh*).

I put in a JVC KW-AV61BT. It's a $349 unit that was on sale for $229 at Best Buy. Wiring it up was pretty easy. I decided not to wire the steering wheel controls. I never use them anyway. And thankfully all the rest of the controls on the wheel. I used the TYTO-01 harness to bridge to the JBL amp and the Schoche dash kit. The fit isn't perfect, but since I have to take it apart again maybe I'll see if there's a way to fit it a little better. But all in all it's looking pretty darn good.

I'm not sure if I see the point of a touch screen radio just yet. I mostly got it because the price was right and I was curious. The stuff is so shiny and new. I was mesmerized. But I was equally interested in not messing with the aesthetics of the dash and maybe just doing a stealth install below. What do you folks think?

My greatest fear was messing up some of the electronics I had to futz with to get to the radio. And I was afraid of breaking clips on the dash panels. I always break dash panels when I do this stuff. But it was easy in and easy out only one scraped knuckle and very little cussing.

Tomorrow I'm installing new speakers in the front as well. I picked up a set of Infinity Primus PR6500cs components. The stock JBLs are sounding pretty good. I'm hoping these are a further improvement.

Finally I want to say thanks to all the folks who had threads and videos on how to do this. A world of difference. How did we ever do anything before there was youtube?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Here are a couple pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]