1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New driver and new user to the forums!

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by beachprance, Nov 7, 2015.

1. beachprance

beachprance New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hello. My name is Matt. I recently purchased a used 2013 Toyota Prius C, I'm 16 and this is my first car.

Confession time: I've been stalking this thread for months, especially prior to actually purchasing my car because I wanted some additional insight.

I'm starting this thread to introduce myself, but also ask a few questions. First of all, I was wondering if there was anything you guys think is an essential add-on to the car. I purchased a base model Prius C, so I only have the basic stuff. I'm also a little bit short on cash at the moment, (the car was $14,400 with tax, title, registration) so I'm really only looking for suggestions that can be done cheaply but are also very effective and add to the driving experience.

Since the 12th of October, I've put about 600 miles on the car. I have a fairly long commute to school (10 miles there, another 10 back), I also have been running around trying to find another part time job. I've noticed that I can get very good gas mileage during light traffic (55 mpg), but on my way to school around 7 a.m when the traffic is heavy I typically get about 45 mpg. This perplexes me because I thought city miles were supposed to be better than highway. When the traffic is lighter, I expect for my gas milage to get worse, not the other way around! I typically cruise home at about 50 mph and I live in a suburban area if that makes sense or adds any additional insight.

Although the car is only the base model, I'm very happy with it, especially having something so nice for my first car! I love the Prius and it feels like I'm floating on air when I drive it, not like any other car I've driven!

So once again, hello Prius Chat! I'm glad to be here.

Also, some obligatory car pics to complement the post:

Attached Files:

Burna J, skayaks, Robert Holt and 2 others like this.
  2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Robert Holt and PLSPUSH like this.
  3. beachprance

beachprance New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Those extra blind spot mirrors look mighty useful! I might to look into getting those. Thanks Will! Extra visibility is never a bad thing.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and congrats! i've always owned base odes with no mods. safe driving and all the best!(y)

5. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The city driving the Prius does best in is 30-45MPH with minimal stops. It does a little worse when you get into stop and go style driving. However, a non-hybrid would take a much bigger hit than the Prius does. I bet similar non-hybrids would be doing good to get 30-35MPG on your 7AM drive.

If you want some MPG tips, this video is a good start. It's filmed in a Gen3 Prius, so while the instrumentation is different, the concepts are the same. Seems like you're already getting pretty good mileage, but this might help you get a bit more.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First of all, I think what modification or additions you want to add is very subjective and should be in most cases "fun" and something you want.

For me I hated the feel of the steering wheel so a Wheelskins cover was nearly an emergency needed addition.
    Once I invest into a vehicle, protecting it becomes important to me, so I invested into weather tech floor liners and a cargo floor insert.

I like the cargo insert although it was very spendy, and I think there are many cheaper options.
    I would NOT buy the weathertech floor liners again, personal opinion, they have been disappointing to me, although the DO protect as advertised. Again I just think there are BETTER and cheaper options.

I also use blind spot mirrors. And I'm happy to find a 16 year old that isn't automatically repulsed by the idea of adding them. Usually the young seem to associate them with being a Grandpa.
    But a warning. I placed a blind spot mirror on my drivers side mirror, and then didn't like it. BUT VERY FOOLISHLY tried to remove it without first using an adhesive remover (Goo Gone works well ) and I ended up cracking the whole Drivers side mirror. My mistake.
    But in short, my $2.99 blind spot mirror, turned into a $100+ total mirror replacement.

If you add the mirrors, and they are great IMO...just don't make the same mistake I made. If for whatever reason you decide to want to remove them, go slow, and use an adhesive remover.

#6 The Electric Me, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  7. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your C!

8. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've never used a blind spot mirror: ALWAYS turn my head.

Upgrade to DDM HID headlights for cheap, reliable and much brighter to drive at night.

9. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to PC and congrats on your first car purchase! I remember my first car a 99 Jimmy lol. I bought my 12 Prius c when I was 18. AS far as the MPG going to school is concerned if it's colder in the AM the engine is working harder. Also when it's stop and go traffic try not to hit the gas too much or the engine will cut in and turn off again when you brake. The prius will totally change how you drive.

10. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The two actions are not mutually exclusive.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  11. beachprance

beachprance New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    You guys have been very very insightful! Thank you for all your help. Its kinda crazy because I knew how to drive prior to getting this car, but its like I'm learning even more. You really learn to be a more polished and natural driver when you don't have your parents barreling down on ya! Its a perfect starter car. Very easy to drive, basic and gets you where you need to go! I filled up for the first time in 3 weeks for 13 dollars at the Costco gas station. Definitely better than the $30-40 some pay.

I might look into getting all weather mats because the carpeted stock ones are already looking like they aren't going to hold up.
    Its been very rainy here and we live in a grassy/leafy area. So there's already a bunch of crap on them.

Just from a month and 800 or so miles, I can tell I'm gonna be a Prius driver for a while! Such a fun, stylish and inexpensive ride.

Is there a difference between liners and mats? I'm sorry if that sounds like a newbie question, but I'm new to cars in general! I'm an OEM freak, and if I invest in all weather mats, I want the Toyota ones. Do you know if those have any longevity to them, or how they hold up in comparison to the carpeted ones? Thanks The Electric Me!

PLSPUSH and TC400 like this.
  12. dborn

dborn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Our 2015 C came with some new winter mats on top of the carpeted summer mats (not sure what the difference with liners might be) and we're not going to use them since we bought some Weathertechs. If the 2015s are compatible with your car and if the shipping costs are reasonable, I'm willing to ship you the mats if you pay for the cost of shipping.

We're in Montreal, Canada. If I send them to you as a "gift", there shouldn't be any taxes or customs to pay.
    Let me know,
    Daniel

13. beachprance

beachprance New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hey! Are your winter mats the rubberized ones? If so, they're most likely the ones I'm looking for. They'd run me about $80-100 if I bought them on my own. They're most likely compatible because I don't think the interior dimensions of the car have changed much for each model year. If you can give me a quote on the shipping, I'll go back and check the compatibility. Thanks, Daniel!

14. skayaks

skayaks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations on your choice of car (and color) and welcome to PriusChat! May you have many happy motoring miles.

You may not need a full coverage floor mat like these, but two years later I'm still happy with this choice:
    Review: 3D Maxpider Floor Mats - Verdict - WIN | PriusChat
    I bought fronts only ('cause I'm frugal). Approx. 86 bucks for front pair from a large rain forest retailer.

The accessory I use most is an OBD tool like the Scan Gauge recommended earlier.
    I bought the cheaper UltraGauge and have it set to display RPM, instantaneous MPG, outside temp, coolant temp, etc.
    Makes it easier to see in real time what helps and hurts your MPG.

15. dborn

dborn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes they are. Official Toyota mats, black, rubberized. I think they say "Prius" or "Prius C" on them but I haven't taken them out of the bag. Ok, I'll check for cheapest uninsured ground transportation using Canada Post/USPS. I could send them COD so it costs nothing to me and you only pay if/when you get them. We're both covered. Sounds good? :)
    I'll be back with a quote. You're in Georgia, right?

Hey, my pleasure, I was likely going to throw them out (recycle them) so I'm glad I can help a fellow Prius enthusiast!

Hmm, still pretty expensive. CdnPost/USPS Expedited parcel (4-5 days) would cost $33.57cdn so about $25us. I'm not sure what kind of surcharge is involved when shipping COD (if any) but this gives you an idea.

16. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What I purchased are sold as "Digital Fit Liners".
    They are made to fit The Prius perfectly. The material they are made out of is kind of a hard, vinyl/plastic like material.

Mat's are often made out of materials closer to rubber.

To be honest? I'm not too happy overall with mine. The plastic material scuffs, and doesn't hide dirt very well at all. Which means they look dirty a lot of the time.- I got the light gray color. This may of been better had I purchased the black color.

I think "if" I was to do it again, I'd go with Husky Mats.

Whatever you decide I REALLY recommend a custom fit. You don't want any danger of a mat slipping or getting stuck under an accelerator pedal or brake. So custom fit, I think is very important.

Toyota OEM would be a perfectly fine choice.

17. AQUA-K

AQUA-K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Aqua
    Blind spot mirrors are an excellent recommendation, helps a lot when you have to navigate tight corners. Make sure you buy the rotatable type with a diameter of 5CM, smaller once are useless. Also I would suggest the following:

* LED interior lights (cabin, map, boot) and the number plate lights. Unlike the dull yellow stock lights they use less power and are brighter.
    Specs for the lights are map (x2), boot (x1) and number plate (x2) use W5W. Cabin light is festoon type get the adjustable kind. All of it is available on ebay, search for - "T10 1W LED Ceramic Shell White HID Interior" and "18 LED COB Chip T10 Festoon".

* As previously recommended window deflectors and also door edge guard (depending on driving environment).

* Window tinting for rear passenger windows and rear windshield.

* Reverse camera or reverse sensors.

* A type pressure monitoring system (TPMS) like TYREDOG. The model that comes with the external sensors can be installed on your own. Its a bit expensive ($100+) so you might save it for a later date.

On the MPG you do drive in ECO mode right? Check out the youtube videos about Prius driving tips.

Congratulations on your purchase!

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome, Matt.

19. beachprance

beachprance New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Still sounds a whole lot better than $95 if I were to buy them from the prius store on prius chat!
    I'm waiting to get payed and I've got some stuff to take care of, but I'll let you know in a bit via message. Thank you!

20. dborn

dborn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, sounds good. I'll keep them for you. Let me know when you're ready.