1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New engine noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bmparent, May 25, 2021.

1. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So this sound was first noticed a couple of weeks ago. It sounds to me like a light rattle. I'm at 182,000 miles, regular oil changes, overall a car in decent shape for it's age. The sound is coming from the passenger side, if I had to be more specific I'd say in the belt area, even more likely this because I only hear it when the engine is running. It tends to go away or at least be much less noticeable after the car is warmed up. I haven't noticed any performance issues so far. MPG pretty high, coolants full, A/C works well. I just tried to upload an audio file but the file wasn't in a format that would upload, so that's not helpful, I know, sorry!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Could be a rattle in the door. I have had it in the past. Once the car has been driving a while it would go away.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it is an "engine" noise, likely culprit would the the engine water pump or tensioner pulley. (bearing issue)

bmparent likes this.
  4. Av1dreader

Av1dreader New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'd agree. I had to replace a water pump at around that mileage, and it was such a faint noise at the beginning, the dealer didn't hear it. But exactly that, a light rattle on the passenger side.

bmparent likes this.
  5. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure it's not the door, since the noise in emanating from the engine compartment. But, I can always give it another listen.

6. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I take it to mean that this might be (I'm hoping) a gradual failure and not an indication that it's failed already. Is this engine coolant we're talking about here?

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, engine coolant. Take a flashlight and look down in the area at the front of the engine on the passenger side. The water pump is down there. If you look carefully, you should be able to see where the belt wraps around the water pump pulley. Look at the back side of the pulley (the area between the pulley and the pump). If you are losing coolant, you will see a moist pink residue on the inside lip of the pulley. If you see dry pink residue, it has a very small leak (more like a seep) and the moisture is evaporating before it even builds up. Quite often, the pumps make noise for a while before they get to the point of actually losing a seal. Unfortunately, there's no perfect way to predict if or when it will experience failure and start leaking significantly, or at all. I bought a 2008 in Myrtle Beach several months ago with a noisy water pump bearing and an ABS code for linear valve offset unlearned. I bought a gallon of coolant and put it in the back seat just in case and then drove home to Columbia. Noisy like crazy, but didn't lose a drop of coolant. Installed a new pump the following weekend and noise is gone. Now I just have to fix the ABS.

Until you can replace the pump, just keep an eye on the coolant reservoir located on the engine side of the radiator. Use a good flashlight and you can see the coolant level through the plastic.

#7 TMR-JWAP, May 26, 2021
    Last edited: May 26, 2021
    bmparent likes this.
  8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Often when (if) the water pump bearing starts to fail, it will result in "looseness" - ie, you can pry gently on the pump pulley and it will rock or wobble.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bmparent likes this.
  9. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Super helpful, thanks. There is some dry residue on the front of something, I don't know the part, it's actually been there quite a while. My coolant reservoir is still very full though. I haven't got any engine codes yet but I do think I'll bring it to the garage in the next couple of weeks for a check-out.

10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just make sure to check the actual level in the radiator from time to time (when the engine is cold).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a good point, I don't usually do that but I'll check.