1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Engine, Transmission P Error

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RinClara, May 30, 2022.

1. RinClara

RinClara New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me preface this post with a little back story.

My husband and I bought our 07' Prius back in March, car already had 345k miles and the Hybrid battery was already replaced. We had no issues out if this car until it suddenly ran out all of its oil and caused the engine to, this really doesn't do justice for how truly bad this was, threw a rod. We ended up buying a used low mile engine and installing it. My husband has been doing mechanics for a little over 4 years but has never dealt with the electrical system that Prius uses.
    Went to go turn on the car and it comes on but the car will not even crank. Showing a transmission P-lock error. Goes into neutral and park but no other gears. Going through the forum we tried diagnostic mode and checked the 12V battery and it was at 11.6V, took it out and threw it on a charger for now. Is there something we are missing?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I might suggest looking over every connector that might have been disturbed when replacing the engine. I often find "ever-since-you" problems when I go back to "the scene of the crime" and look for something not fully plugged in or damaged.

Next, you might consider a scantool that would let you check all the ecu's on the car for trouble codes. The best I have found (for the price) is the Autel Maxi AP200.

There are also many posts about getting a bootleg copy of Toyota's Techstream diagnostic software with a mini VCI interface cable (ebay or amazon) and installing it on an old windows laptop.

Once we know what the car doesn't like (trouble codes) then we can provide better advice.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. RinClara

RinClara New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We ran it on a diagnostic tool and all the codes are pointing to the hybrid battery, not the 12V, not having enough juice. But we can't charge it without the engine running. So I don't know what we need to do at this point.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why do you like the Autel better than other apps? Is it the software? Or the device? OR both? Also it looks like software subscription is $16 per vehicle per year? Seems like if you help lots of friends with Prius that price could become unreasonable really quick? And for what? A system that likely doesn't have hybrid system subcodes? Please let us know more?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    mr_guy_mann already went into that, here and in the followup with more detail here.

Looks like you get to pick one vehicle for keeps; the $16/year is for any others you want to add.

PriusCamper likes this.