1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

new Enginer Kit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by cproaudio, Oct 24, 2010.

1. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here 'tis.

View attachment 2.XLS

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    can you please explain the first few columns of the chart?
    and why there are empty data lines in whiting the chart?

3. caffeinekid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Columns A-E are: Time (between readings), voltage out (Vout from the DC-DC converter), Vin (to the converter from the LiFePO4 Real Force brand batteries), Iout (from the converter) and Iin (to the converter) respectively.

Empty data is typically from system latency due to inactivity of the vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have installed an 8 KWhr Enginer kit, and my level freeway MPG at 55 mph is around 65 MPG while driving around town at 35 mph, it runs around 80 MPG.

This does have a lot to do which changes in driving style too, so what I really need to do now is drive with my new diving habits without the kit to see how much better just the driving habits without the kit would beat my previous 45 MPG average.

What is really surprising is how quickly the ICE coolant can loose heat. Even after the ICE xoolant is warmed up to 180 F and with the grill blocked 95 percent, turning on the cabin heater can very quickly drop the ICE temp to 165 F. Also, crusing at 35 MPG where you can do almost pure EV will quickly drop ICE Temp to 150 F or less.

I added a Circulating Tank Heater (Similar to Engine Block Heater but plumbed into cooling system and 1500W). It will bring the ICE up to 123 F in one hour before I start driving, but that is the max, as I left in on overnight by accident once and the ICE was still 123 F. The Circulating Tank Heater has a T-Stat

2 people like this.
  5. caffeinekid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is something else that I find to be a huge variant in individual experiences. For instance; here where I live in Houston, most everything is connected by freeways (65mph, not highways @ 55mph....big difference) and there is enough traffic at any given time to make the rightmost lanes problematic and the flow is typically > 65mph. In other words, freeway speeds (often for considerable distances) are practically unavoidable and are part of "the real world" for millions of "urban" drivers- a large segment of Prius owners. If all you do is drive around all day at speeds < 50mph with an occasional and brief jaunt onto the expressway, then I can see the high mileage possibilities with the Prius/Enginer synergy, but this is not possible with many drivers. You can and should adjust driving habits for maximized efficiency, but the kit only helps if the vast majority of your driving is under 50mph and for considerable time periods- ex: where the warm up penalty is negated.

6. ReGoElectric

ReGoElectric New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you tell us where you tapped into the coolant system so that the warmed coolant would circulate through the block?

7. earthwindwater

earthwindwater Hybrid Chief

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    @ CPROAudio

Thank you for this post. I have one question to verify about the 2000 cycles. Is a cycle a full discharge to full recharge only, or is a cycle considered a discharge from lets say 60% charge to full.

Thanks again.

8. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

The first part, about the kit only helping if the vast majority of the driving is under 50mph is incorrect. All EV miles are created equal, it doesn't matter if you use 1kw in 4 miles or 1kw in 25 miles, it is still 1kw of EV driving. With the enginer kit, it is correct that you need a considerable time period to use the battery, since the electricity goes to the Prius so slowly.

9. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Follow up question which Enginer Kit did you get and install.The 2kw, 4kw, or 8kw and how much did you pay for the kit plus shipping.?? Also where there additional costs after complete install that did not come in the kit??

10. jerrydelrey

jerrydelrey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a noob question.

If this is an add on to the existing HV battery, can it replace it. As when my stock battery goes bad, can I get this kit instead of the toyota battery?

11. charlie_rivera1

charlie_rivera1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So how is the system working after a year of usage?

12. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's 4kw kit version 5. I built a heady duty hinge system for spare tire access. I also have a MiniBMS to replace the original BMS. I got about 4K invested in the conversion kit. I am selling it for $2500 OBO.
    No it does not replace the HV battery. If your original HV battery is failing, you have to place it with original HV battery. This kit acts as trickle charger to the HV battery.
    BMS failed a cell in the original battery pack. It was replaced with a brand new pack in Feb 2011. I've been using MiniBMS since. Converter failed 3 times. All were replaced. I just got the replacement converter last week. It's been working fine. I have not been driving it like I used to with maximizing mileage. I drive it like normal and it's been getting 75mpg so far.

3 people like this.
  13. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So why are you selling it since it's giving you a 50% increase in mileage? :confused:

1 person likes this.
  14. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm pooling all my money together so I can buy a 2012 PiP

15. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius