1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Entune Update with New Apps and More!

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by priusCpilot, Aug 12, 2015.

1. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got everything updated, and I must say that I'm pleased. The most apparent difference for me is that IHeartRadio is now integrated to my account. For me this is great, since my Favorites, including my custom stations, are all right there. In fact, when I first started it, it began playing the custom station I was listening to at work when I turned off my computer. The other obvious difference is that the Bing search is now a more generic search feature, though once selected the app looks pretty much the same. Oh, and I had no problems using the updated app & software with my LG Optimus G phone, which is running an old version of Android OS (4.1.2). That was my biggest concern going in.

ftl likes this.
  2. Krellan

Krellan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I updated it as well. I have a 2012 Prius v Five (sadly without the ATP package).

The update worked nicely. Only catch is that Toyota doesn't speak Mac or Linux or even NTFS: the USB stick must be classic MS-DOS format (FAT or FAT32). After reformatting my USB stick to comply with this restriction, the car computer accepted the update and it ran normally.

I haven't really tried out the new apps yet.

Android linking over Bluetooth is seamless.

iPhone linking over Bluetooth still did not work. That was because I was still on the old version of the corresponding Entune app. Toyota hasn't released the new version of the app yet (at least it hasn't made it to the iTunes App Store). I suspect it's held up at Apple, if they released both Android and Apple updates at the same time. The Android app is already available from Google Play and it works.

Haven't noticed any changes, other than the addition of new apps. Is a list of changes posted anywhere?

Thanks!

Josh

3. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I just upgraded from 2.1 to 5.1

Updated my phone app to the current entune app.

Just linked all my entune apps to account.

Hopefully everything works

Update:

Everything is working. It was a pain to re -link all the entune apps to my account. Also all of my favorite preset stations from iheart radio are all gone. I will have to start my favorite list all over again. Painful.

#23 Xterra72, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Here's Toyota's announcement: Toyota

"We are excited to announce an update to your Entune system that includes Bluetooth and multimedia functionality improvements, as well as new apps for Entune App Suite. The iHeartRadio app will be upgraded on August 20 to expand its functionality, and we're also introducing a new music app—Slacker Radio—to the Entune App Suite.

"The Entune App Suite will have a new search engine app—Destination Search—replacing the existing Bing search engine."

5. Krellan

Krellan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. I saw that email as well, which mentioned the new apps, and their features. I'm curious, though: were there any changes to the existing apps or system that would affect their functionality? I'm really hoping they fix some Bluetooth bugs.

Josh

6. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looks at clock, 4:37. Looks at phone... :)

7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I wish they'd give some useful details, instead of just "Bluetooth ... functionality improvements".

8. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2014 Prius Plug-in Base and Nexus 5 Android Lollipop 5.1.1 updated successfully.

9. CanuckPT

CanuckPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This update is a disappointment to say the least. It went smoothly but the interface remains clunky & is so out of date compared to Toyota's competition. The only significant difference other than a name change from Bing to Destinations is the addition of the Slacker app. Disappointing. They should be able to put out a world class system interface.

iPhone ?

10. LukeEllis

LukeEllis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've got a 2013 Prius C (Three) and I just installed the update...bricked nearly the whole system. None of the apps with appear, can't get to the Audio sources. I would be careful installing. Called Tech Support and they mentioned others have experienced similar problems.

11. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Installed on my 2012 C Three with no problems. Still don't have the iPhone app, though.

12. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The iPhone app version 1.16.40 has just been posted to the App Store.
    What's New in Version 1.16.40

The following updates have been made:

o New POI search tool Destination Search replaces Bing.
    o Various product enhancements and bug fixes

Ho hum.

CanuckPT likes this.
  13. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Is this update still free of charge at the dealer for cars over 24 months old or I will have to do it myself?

I'm afraid it'll brick the system like some people posted.

14. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That was a waste of my time. Still can't play podcasts from iOS 8 I managed to freeze the system twice while browsing the new apps causing the system to auto reboot. Mind you, I only played with the system all of 5 minutes. I'm disappointed they didn't take the opportunity to update to iOS 8.

15. Krellan

Krellan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm disappointed too.

The big bug everybody's been waiting for, the inability of iPhone to connect to Internet via Bluetooth, has not been fixed. This is a massive disappointment. Toyota either is incompetent, doesn't care, or both.

It works fine with Android, which is good.

The iPhone can connect Entune to Internet via USB, but because of the "Power consumption of USB device too high" bug, another unsolved Toyota problem, I can't use the USB connection. Every USB charger these days puts out at least 2.1A, but Toyota chose to support the bare minimum 0.5A, and what's worse, they shut off the USB port entirely and put that annoying message up on the display if your device dares to draw a milliwatt more. Really impractical. I have no way of telling my iPhone to use less power, so the result is a complete inability to use Entune with iPhone at all, since both Bluetooth and USB are DOA.

Today, as if to rub it in, the stupid repetitive horn beep went off at my work, causing much embarrassment. I solved the problem by removing the beep button from my keyfob, something I should have done a long time ago. Fortunately, Toyota made the beep button easily removable when the keyfob is open, so credit to them for doing that. They should have never made the button so easy to accidentally set off while in your pocket, though.

I'm really disappointed, and sorry I bought the car in the first place.

Josh

CanuckPT likes this.
  16. Chris92057

Chris92057 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  17. Chris92057

Chris92057 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    very disappointed on the iOS front. Updated car then Entune last night. Still have to teather via USB cord. I called Toyota and that's the best they can do. They make fine cars, but their software for the radio just plain sucks. Toyota, it's not asking much. perhaps it is. Their solution: get an andriod. I'm not going to knock android -- but it is not for me.

CanuckPT likes this.
  18. Chris92057

Chris92057 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Update: Toyota called me back -- wow -- and said the head units on the 2013 line does not have the capability to receive on the iOS unteathered. OK, so that's not what I want to hear; but then again, at least they own the answer. 2015 models, according to Toyota, do not have this issue.

19. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Even if you go through setting up a DUN/PAN connection and have connection sharing turned on the phone? It would be nice if it would work somehow, as I have a work-owned phone and don't have the personal hotspot turned on.

Chris92057 likes this.
  20. Chris92057

Chris92057 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I tried the DUN/PAN and this connection works! Bingo! Why in the name of Toyota do they not disclose this? Clang! Thanks Kurt.