1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New front axles loose

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by J Conner, Apr 23, 2019.

1. J Conner

J Conner New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just replaced both front half axles on my 2004 Prius with GSP parts. Within a week I noticed a click when braking or accelerating. There seems to be significant play in the axles, which must be the source of the clicking sound. I can't remember how much play was in the original half axles, but they sure didn't have enough play to produce a clicking sound. Anybody have experience with this? I'm no mechanic, but I would think there should be no play at all in the front axle. Assuming these are loose CV joints causing the play, what is the risk in driving with them like this? I would attach some videos, but the chat site does not appear to allow the format.

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Were these brand new or rebuilt half shafts. My experience with rebuilt ones is that they are junk, junkyard ones work out better.

3. J Conner

J Conner New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Brand new GSP front axles.
    Any sanity check on this topic welcome.
    This is a continuing saga from a CV boot replacement thread BTW...I noticed that there was a comment in the previous thread that even new axles can show up with clicking sounds. Looks like I am now confirming that.
    And I am attempting to provide the video links here from Zippyshare site
    Outer wheel shake & click video - moving the PS wheel showing play and axle clicking
    underneath PS axle shake & click video - this is lying underneath the car, rotating the PS wheel, looking at the PS axle, and then beyond at the DS wheel

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My success rate with GSP on other brands (not Prius) has been very poor. Or new aftermarket axles in general. I would highly recommend finding some used OE axles from a junkyard and rebooting them before installing.

Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dont see many 2004's here. How many miles on this car?

What are you calling half shafts? There's inner's and outer's and entire shafts which did you replace?

And should be no play in them whatsoever.

After market parts were a roll of the dice many years ago now they flat out suck since its all
    chinese crap. The oem joints are expensive but there high quality.

6. J Conner

J Conner New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    200k+ miles on this car. The front axles L & R are sometimes called half-shafts. I'm not referring to part of either side front axle, but the whole axle assembly, both front sides.

Yeah, I am not impressed with GSP, and determined to return them.
    I thought they were American made, but they are Chinese imports.

I would go with Toyota parts, but 7x $ more...and this car is nearing EOL.
    I'll try Cardone (new) first.

The transmission was solid, with its original parts until (see previous thread) one of the 15 year old axle boots broke and leaked out all its grease.

BTW, the site where I posted videos...zippyshare...was on the Prius Chat site list of options for this type of thing, but turns out that web site does not seem secure. I immediately had some junk malware on my computer from it. Beware!

frodoz737 and edthefox5 like this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cardone is crap too and so is moog.

8. J Conner

J Conner New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks again for the responses.
    Got under the car today to begin replacing the GSP axles with Cardone (what can I say edthefox5 - found other site posts with people recommending Cardone from NAPA over other options...I can't find a consistent opinion except that only Toyo parts are trusted and that they are cost prohibitive).

BUT!!! I am not looking forward to this axle work again. So I tried looking more closely at what is causing the looseness and clicking while I had the front end up, before doing anything. I was directly under the transmission looking up at it as I rotated one wheel , then the other, and looked for the point of play in the axles.

Turns out the axles do not really have any play. They seem solidly connected to the wheels - that is when I rotate either wheel, the axle attached to the wheel does seem to move with the wheel with very little play. So where is the looseness??!! If I rotate one wheel, there is some play and metallic clicking e.g. between metal parts engaging - before the opposite wheel engages and is also rotating. The looseness and clicking appear to be inside the transmission.

This symptom is only since replacing the original axles with the new GSP's.
    If the DS and PS axles have good CV joints, and the teeth on each axle engage the transmission without any play during the install of each side, what is causing the looseness between the two of them internal to the transmission?

9. J Conner

J Conner New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Update - I convinced myself to go ahead and replace the GSP axles. The drained transmission oil looks muddy - way dark and thick considering I only recently changed out 4 quarts. The drain plug was also covered with a thick coat of black grease. There must be a lot of dirty oil in the closed system.

I had one hell of a time removing the DS GSP axle. These things are clearly not designed for removal. Big PITA. After about 6 hours of frustration yesterday, I finally got it out today using a large long handled flat-head wedged in place with bungee cords for force underneath, and at the same time using a short stone chisel as side lever arm and long steel rod to whack it with. That keeps outward force on the lower edge of the inner housing at the same time as whacking a side lever arm to produce outward force on the side of the inner housing.

Other than the inner housing, I do not see a noticeable difference between the GSP and the Cardone axles. The Cardone at least has the OEM type inner housing with channels that could make removal much easier. There is just slightly more play in the actual GSP axle, if holding each end and rotating in opposing directions. Hardly any play at all in the Cardone. However, I can believe the small amount of play in the GSP axle would cause it to wear faster than the Cardone.

Attached Files:

10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you just changed that transmission fluid and it’s dirty you have way bigger problems than your axles.

edthefox5 likes this.
  11. J Conner

J Conner New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, I'm afraid that is likely. There are metal shavings in the oil. I can feel the grit in it.
    The transmission probably needs to be replaced.
    In the meantime I need to get the new axles on, and this is spiraling down a rabbit hole for a newbie like myself.
    I now have an issue just figuring out how to properly seat a new gasket seal.

12. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Metal shavings? Yes you should start looking for a new “transmission” as it’s called. At least your at a site where people can help you.