1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Front Brake Pads & Rotors?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Metrolens, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all, just back from getting a new set of Yokohama Avid Ascends installed on my 2005 Gen 2, and what do you know, the mechanic told me I needed new front brake pads and rotors.

The vitals:
    -My car has 116k miles.
    -I visually inspected the pads (outside ones only), and estimate they had around 2-3mm left. I drive with a gentle braking style, to maximize MPG of course, and to use only the regen brakes as much as possible.
    -As for the rotors, mechanic said they were warped and couldn't be machined. I visually inspected them, and couldn't see any rust. I don't know how to visually inspect rotors, so I'm a little in the dark about this part.
    -The car currently has no problems with braking. It's still responsive, doesn't make any noises (ok, occasional quiet squeal when a certain light pressure is applied to brakes). Basically I can identify no issues with braking

My questions to you all:
    1. How would I know if there were a problem with the pads?
    2. How would I know if there were a problem with the rotors?
    3. Is 2-3mm on the pads actually ok? Especially since the Prius isn't relying on the pads/rotors for regen braking? For how many more miles?

#1 Metrolens, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's funny I put the same tires on my Prius and was told the same thing. I took it to my dealer who laughed and said well if it was a normal car at 3mm you'd start thinking about new brakes but with a Prius it's got lots of miles left. My Prius has 162k. on the original brakes.

kenoarto, Metrolens and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the rotors would seriously warped, you would have an oscillating brake pedal. i think your fine, and would hold off until you start having issues.
    the pads and rotors can both be measured with u=instruments. other than that, it's just a look see and operator comfort.

#3 bisco, Apr 23, 2018
    Metrolens likes this.
  4. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Paprius. I edited my post; I actually think the pads were slightly thinner, probably between 2-3mm. Do you still think your logic holds? (I do).

Thanks bisco. What would an "occulting brake pedal" look like, or present itself while driving?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, oscillating. you would feel the pedal pulsating as the pads went in and out over the warped rotors.

Metrolens likes this.
  6. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, that makes more sense! I definitely don't feel anything like that. I have a feeling the shop was trying to upsell me on new rotors. (The pads I could see easily, so it's less ambiguous).

I have read there is a SENSOR on the pads, which should throw a warning of some kind when the pads are truly dead, right?

#6 Metrolens, Apr 23, 2018
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when they reach end of life, some type of metal will start screeching to notify you.

Metrolens likes this.
  8. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like that - a low tech solution. And the screeching sound is only potentially bad for the rotors... which the metal is screeching against, right?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right, and won't hurt them if you don't delay when the time comes.

Metrolens likes this.
  10. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Assuming I did want to replace both the rotors and pads... how are these? $40 for the set, too good to be true? (I wouldn't want to get slotted/drilled rotors, because they quite obviously would deplete the pads much quicker.)

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm no expert, but for a purchase this rare, i would look on line for the best oem price and stick with them.
    i've read too many brake threads about aftermarket problems to take the risk.

Rph74 likes this.
  12. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed OEM is the way to go. I paid $72 from Toyota of Dallas. Super easy job. Don’t forget to grease the caliper pins.

bisco likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regarding rotors, do you notice anything, a pulsation? If not, still on your first set of pads, I'd suspect they're fine. I can upload the repair Manual specs for rotors in a bit.

With that, and a micrometer and dial indicator with magnetic base, you can check them yourself. Those two components won't set you back much over $50.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's that excerpt, shows specs for min thickness and runout:

Attached Files:

15. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Mendel. I'm not set up to take the wheels off, so I can't really do this work myself. But good info for someone else, for sure.

I notice nothing like a pulse or oscillation or anything in the pedal that others here have said would indicate uneven rotors. Totally normal operation and feel. So I'm 99% sure my rotors are just fine. I haven't replaced the pads since I bought the vehicle with 60k miles on it. Now it has 116k, and the brake pads are around 2-3mm. I'm just going to wait until I hear or feel an indication that the pads need replacement, and then just do the pads as I have zero evidence (outside a shop that was was trying to upsell) that the rotors have anything wrong with them.

bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    couple things in defense of the shoppe.

to the untrained hybrid eye, prius appear to be rusty, when they actually aren't.

2) 2-3 mm on a non hybrid might be time for a change.

c) maybe upsell, or perhaps just ignorance.