1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Fuel Injector Install, ~20% Less MPG. Leak???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2ndgenbestgen, Aug 19, 2022.

1. 2ndgenbestgen

2ndgenbestgen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Would it be safe to remove the air filter while the engine is running so I could see it better?

For background, I ignored the repair manual instructions. I realized I could pry the fuel rod a little bit out after I removed the 2 bolts on top of it, so I just blindly slid the injectors in there, but I couldn't see how well it sealed.

User Jrusch provided a great write up, and user Mendel Leisk supplied the repair manual, but I thought I found an easy shortcut.

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four

If there's a fuel leak, you should smell gasoline after the engine runs, just open the hood.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. 2ndgenbestgen

2ndgenbestgen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just changed the fuel injectors, when I pulled out the old ones, some leaked out. So it smells like gas anyway right now.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When the fuel rail doesn't seat properly, pressurized fuel will puddle up on the intake manifold, and you can't miss it.

Where did you purchase the new injectors from, or do you have a link? (plenty of knockoffs out there)

5. 2ndgenbestgen

2ndgenbestgen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    They were 55 dollars for a set of 4 on ebay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/121312381714?hash=item1c3ec80b12:g:9N4AAOSw83NdAAds
    In the picture the o-rings are black, the ones that were delivered are orange. Maybe that's suspect?

Is there a way to check data list and techstream to determine the issue? I don't see any leaks. I do smell some gas, but it's still been less than a day since I pulled out the old fuel injectors, which spilled out a cup full of gas in the engine.

6. 2ndgenbestgen

2ndgenbestgen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    They spelled warranty wrong too... something I now just noticed

Attached Files:

7. 2ndgenbestgen

2ndgenbestgen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The dealer oem parts are ~500 for a set. Is this why people clean fuel injectors instead of replacing them?

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be fine with that seller of reconditioned injectors. They do answer the phone, and I would bet they would swap as needed.

How many miles on the old injectors, and why did you feel the need to replace them?

What was you old MPG, and what are you getting now?
    Check the short and long fuel trim % in techstream.

Did you disconnect the 12v recently?

Has the throttle body been cleaned recently?

If you end up reinstalling the old injectors to see if the MPG returns, be sure to run some PEA in the gas tank to help clean them up.

9. 2ndgenbestgen

2ndgenbestgen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm unsure of how many miles were on the old injectors. I am also unsure they were an issue to begin with.
    I had a horrible p0301 misfire while driving, I panicked, towed it to a local mechanic, he said he replaced the 1st coil pack which fixed it (He charged me $200). I then researched how stupid easy that was to fix and I am adamant on learning how to do my own car maintenance from now on.
    Then p0301 came back ~5k miles later, so I wanted to fix everything just incase. I read that misfires are due to coils, or plugs, or injectors. So I just went ahead and did all 4 of each. In retrospect I should have tested the new coil + plugs before messing with the injectors.

Before the recent misfire I'd get 55 mpg per tank easy without A/C. Now just driving it around town a little its struggling to keep it at 45mpg driving the same area and same manner. I watch the energy monitor while driving often, I learned to accelerate as little as possible, take advantage of declines and brake very slow and gradual.

I read somewhere that disconnecting the 12v is an ideal safety measure while doing fuel injectors, so yes, that was disconnected. The throttle body hasn't been cleaned recently. I am curious what you're thoughts behind the 12v being related are.

10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Disconnecting the 12v will clear the ECUs and reset the learned fuel curves/trims. Best to clean up the butterfly valve (throttle plate) and surrounding throttle body by using a toothbrush wetted with vodka or rubbing alcohol, once you're in there it will only take 15 seconds of brushing around. If you can removing the MAF sensor, and have MAF cleaner, now would also be a good time to do that as well.

There are DIY posts and videos somewhere. Can you copy/paste/post an image of the fuel trims from techstream?

11. 2ndgenbestgen

2ndgenbestgen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the advice. I have vodka laying around, it's great for at home dry cleaning odors, an old theatre trick. I have to research the MAF cleaning more.
    I notice now the 12V unplugging may have messed up data readings. Should I drive her around a lot more to get better readings? I just got the techstream recently and don't know how to interpret what I am seeing. I'm going to need to take a 101 udemy course or something.

Attached Files:

12. 2ndgenbestgen

2ndgenbestgen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I put almost 100 miles on it now, averaging 53.7mpg, so all is good, hopefully.
    If the shortcut I took installing the injectors ever does become an issue, I'll update the thread.

@jrusch write up was more thorough and should probably be followed all the way
    2008 Prius fuel injector replacement DIY | PriusChat

What I did was
    1) open gas cap
    2) unplug 12v
    3) remove (2) 10mm bolts to peel back the air filter
    4) remove (2) 12mm bolts to peel back the fuel rail
    5) shove the (4) fuel injectors in, the 4th on (on the right) is a snug fit, the rest were roomy. I couldn't see what I was doing, just had to feel it. About a cup of gas leaked between pulling the 4 injectors, gloves are recommended.

I would like to hear about anything that forum members think that I may have done wrong. Either way it feels good not going back to the stealership.

SFO likes this.
  13. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most of the time sending the injectors out for a professional cleaning and test is enough. And given the quality of replacement parts the old ones might be the better choice.

2ndgenbestgen likes this.
  14. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look at Short FT and Long FT (fuel trim), both are mostly near 0%, and when added together should also be near 0% whenever possible.