1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Gen1 Owner from Tucson

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by tada, Mar 26, 2018.

1. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Today I bought a 2002 Gen 1 Prius with 114,000 miles. It was in pretty good shape. Very clean. Had a clean Carfax. Needs a new windshield and tires. I paid $2800 for it.

Drove it home from Phoenix to Tucson with wife behind me in mini van. Engine died about 70 miles in. I started to coast off the road prepared to call AAA and suddenly the engine came back on. This happened two more times as I nursed it to my house.

The previous owner stated that she had the car checked a month ago and both coolant reservoirs were low on coolant. I failed during inspection of the car to check for agitation in the inverter reservoir.

As soon as I got home, I checked for DTCs but only had one on the emissions system. But the inverter reservoir has no agitation and the pump has no vibration.

I guess my first repair starts with inverter pump replacement. It’s nice to join the community.

Aaron Vitolins and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

You’re near an active member with a couple of gen 1 Prii: @Brian in Tucson :).

I’m sure he’ll be happy to hear another member in his area with a gen1;).

I believe he also has Techstream and might be willing to assist, if you talk nicely to him:).

Good luck with your new to you Prius and keep us posted(y).

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome. Looks like you're starting out with lots to do. The coolant should not get low in either system, so apparently both have problems as well as the pump. Glad you got it home OK.

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Will a failure of the inverter pump cause the car to stall and restart like this? The more I read, the more I worry

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome.

In a Prius the engine starts & stops periodically as needed in normal Hybrid operation. When the engine is not running the electric motor in the transaxle propels the car, using energy from the large Hybrid battery.

Is it possible that is what was happening?

RCO likes this.
  6. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't exactly know. The car would run at highway speeds, then I would feel it just start to slow down, no acceleration. But as soon as I got to a slower speed, the "engine" would come back on and allow me to return to normal highway speed. When I got off the highway, I had to travel about 3 miles through city traffic. It physically died out at two points where I had to pull the vehicle over and wait about 60 seconds to restart it. During the 60 second or so wait, it start but not allow me to go into any gear. After a minute, I could drive it normally for a short distance. The battery display still shows about half charged, and the inverter pump is definitely not circulating coolant.

RCO likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Reminds me of when I had a clogged fuel filter on my motorcycle. A Prius capable code reader will get you looking in the right direction.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    +1;).

Maybe @Brian in Tucson will be along to assist(y).

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to replace the inverter pump asap. When the coolant sensor detects too much heat in the inverter, the car goes into self defense mode. Shuts itself down to protect the inverter. When it cools down, it will start back up and run til the coolant gets too hot again.

You asked in a private message if I could help you pull the codes. Yes I can. If you want to bring it over (I live near Golf Links and Camino Seco) we can hook up the ol laptop and see what's what. Or you can borrow my cable and laptop and do it yourself.

10. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks Brian, I have a new pump coming in on Wednesday. Hopefully I can have it installed by the weekend. At that point I would appreciate the scan. Either way works for me. I live over at Ina & Oracle. As long as the car runs, I have no problem driving to your area of town.

11. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Install the pump first. I'm sure that will cure most of what ails it. Those little pumps wear out often enough that they are almost a tune up item. And a critical system. Probably can figure on every 60 to 80k miles.

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Removed the old pump last night, installed the new pump tonight. The job is not that bad for DIY.

The hardest part (to me) was removing and reinstalling the hose clamps. I even had hose clamp pliers! The other hard part is removing the nut that holds the bumper to the corner of the fender to gain access to the nut for the headlight. Tip: use a short 1/4 ratcheting driver with a deep well 1/4 drive 10mm socket.

The pump sounded horrible at first, but I massaged the hoses and got it to sound like an aquarium pump. Then I bled it very well, and the pump is almost silent. Good turbulence in the reservoir now.

Took it out for about a 5 mile drive. No warning lights. No triangle of death. Both the HV and 12V batteries appear to be charging.

I’ll give it a try tomorrow on a 95 mile trip to Phoenix. I have towing as a backup in case of problems.

#12 tada, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When you say 'towing' I assume you mean on a flatbed or something. I don't believe Prii are supposed to be pulled along when not in Ready Mode.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They can be towed with the front wheels off the ground.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Jerry. Wasn't sure about that in case it's like the Gen 4, which doesn't like dolly towing either.

16. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I towed my 02 home from El Dorado TX on a Uhaul dolly when I bought it. It did fine. So light you could hardly
    tell it was there. My pickup, otoh, picked up a piece of hardware in one of the rear tires and I had to change it in
    the parking lot of the Super 8.

Good luck with the trip to Feenix!

17. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I didn't end up needing towing. The car ran perfectly. I put it on cruise control at 75 and just drove it. So far, I've put 185 miles on it and I'm getting 43.8 mpg. Not bad compared to my Jeep Wrangler and Toyota Sienna.

As for towing, I meant flat bad towing through AAA. I left it vague because many members on this forum are into hypermiling and apparently AAA does not support that. I keep it so if my wife has a flat, I don't have to jump. They are also my insurance company.

I'm now on to getting the car to stop pulling to the left. I need to get it aligned and put a new set of tires on it. The front tires are almost totally bald and the rear are not much better. Then on to changing all the fluids.

Brian, I guess I'll pass on the code read for now. I'll probably just buy a used laptop, the clone software, and a cable soon. I noticed in your other posts that you have a Boxster project. I do as well. This reminds me of Durametric discussions. I have a 98 base Boxster - Guards Red with a hard top. 97000 miles. It's only running on one bank of cylinders. I found the car stored (seriously) in a barn about 20 miles south of Sierra Vista. I think the injectors on that side have pack rat wiring damage and are not firing. I just haven't gotten around to dropping the engine a few inches to remove the air box to get access to the injectors so I could put a noid light on them.

18. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't know that. I wonder why dolly towing would be a problem if the front wheels aren't turning.

But I guess it's no longer germane to the towing question since tada was talking about flatbed. (y)

RCO likes this.
  19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's because the computer thinks that there is wheel slip, or something like that. It's too late in the day for me to go get the manual right now. Sorry!

20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I could see that if the car was on. Does the computer dream? (Think HAL 9000 ;)) But you're right; it's getting late over there. Nitey nite.