1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Gen2 Owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by M in KC, Jun 22, 2014.

1. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Woo we just made a big change and traded our seemingly bullet proof 03 Sequoia Limited for an 05 Prius, Pkg #6 in Seaside Pearl wih a mere 43k miles.

This looks to be a very active and information filled forum. I have already 86'ed the plastic wheel rings and did the rear wiper arm mod because of it.

Probably opening a can of worms with this question but what is the general thoughts on extended warranties? TIA

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! normally, i would say no to an extended warranty, but on a 10 year old car, your odds of using it probably go up a bit. all the best!(y)

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congratulations and welcome. :)

4. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Welcome! Got any pics?

5. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congrats!

Hold onto those wheel trim rings. I used to prefer the look without them but now, I much prefer the look with them.

I usually don't buy extended warranties either. You might consider it, depending on the cost, and if it covers hybrid components, especially if you don't have much $$ stashed away. If you have some savings, I'd be less inclined to get a warranty.

6. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks folks, I'll get some pic up soon, as soon as the wife parks it that is. She filled the tank up today for all of $28 wow!

I think the finance guy about wet himself when I declined the extended warranty package after his sales pitch. Overall I didn't have a "totally violated" feeling when I left the dealership. However, while we were finishing up the paperwork I told the Sales Manager I was thinking about call the cops. He asked why. I said because I thought I was being robbed. He kind of chuckled and said the same back to me. I did my home work on vehicle values in my area before I went in so I had my strategy laid out. In the end my wife was upset with me, with me, can you believe it when we got down to haggling over $60. I'm thinking to myself who's side are you on here, just sit back and enjoy the show and shhh. After all its all about gamesmanship and sabre rattling, dealerships in my area are struggling to move units.

I love Darrell's mod page. I'm going to follow some of his leads on a few items to start with (window tint, lumbar support and rear bumper protector). Lovin' it so far!

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would have also not gotten the extended warranty on the car. The warranties usually do not cover the hv battery, which is probably the unit that will most likely fail with the low mileage you have on the car.

8. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A