1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New GenIII brake recall affects 87,000 cars

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by DavidA, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Had mine done today. Took the dealer about 6 hours as this was their first and they needed to do it by the book. It's a small rural dealership. I drove the 20 Kms home. There isn't a lot of braking but I didn't notice much difference.

2. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Haven't received the letter yet, but a few weeks back, I needed the oil changed in my Prius. Took it to the dealer, and just happen to ask about the recall towards the end of the service write-up. The service tech checked his computer to confirm my Prius was part of the recall (it is), but since I took it in midday on a weekend, they couldn't complete the job at that time. Was told that they would most likely change the part out, the reason they needed extra time to complete the recall. He asked me to come back during the week and offered a free rental as well.
    Had the recall performed last week. Yes, they do have to disconnect the 12V battery (confirmed because all my sat radio presets disappeared). Took them up on the offer of the rental from Enterprise (Sorry Dodge, but your Avenger is horrible! They still make cars this crappy in 2013?)

All in all, the brakes feel the same. Stopping distance my have decreased slightly, but that could be all mental.

3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since I started this thread, it was only right for me to report in. I had my booster assembly replaced last week. Took the dealer 4.5 hours from writing the service ticket to receiving the phone call. The brake pedal feel is about what it used to be, and I'm pleased so far. They disconnected the battery and I lost all radio presets and all fuel data. I make it a point to write down all the stats at the dealer before handing over the keys. Toyota really need to work on a way to keep this system data intact with a battery disconnect.

I asked what percentage of those getting the letter that had been inspected (consisting of reading the serial number on the booster assembly) actually needed the replacement.. He told me that about 99% did. I took that answer to mean that most did.

Braddles.au, Feri and cwerdna like this.
  4. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt that any difference in pedal feel would be noticeable, unless the brakes needed bleeding before or the old accumulator was on its last legs.

5. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally, I got a brake recall. I just don't know if I should wait till regular maintenance (spring) or if I should do it right away?

Is this a major safety hazard? My brake fluid was changed in summer during regular maintenance.

6. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

When it happens it feels like you have lost brakes. It's one of those things which could happen tomorrow or never. it's free so get it done now.

7. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :) :) post 125,126
    Unfortunately, the recall letter is somewhere. I was not able to obtain the recall service guide. What they said me when I was at dealership: inspection of part's label has been done the direction of text on it decides about the go - no go with the replacement. Mine was replaced. Everything free of charge. No noticeable braking feeling after the repair.
    BTW. I speak, read and write both funny languages from the central Europe. :)

8. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Unfortunately I only speak one but have a few words in some others. Viszont latast ;)

9. LakeAlto

LakeAlto New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone. I know this thread has been inactive for awhile but it seems like the most relevant thread for me. I’m a first time poster and will be upfront about the fact that I know just about *nothing* about cars. So please forgive me if I don’t use the right words for things and if I am ignorant about basic car information.

I got a customer support letter from Toyota about my son’s 2013 Toyota Prius. In it, it says that if we’ve had any problem with the brakes, they will offer an extended warranty. This is interesting because last year in August 2018, the car had problems with the brake pedal “sticking” when pressed. My son would have to reach down and “unstick” the pedal manually after he took his foot off the pedal. He also said that he had to apply hard pressure to the brakes. It was diagnosed as a master cylinder brake failure and the whole thing had to be replaced. The total cost plus labor was about $1900. This was done at a local Toyota/Lexus repair shop and not at a Toyota dealership. In the letter I got yesterday, it details instructions on how to ask for reimbursement and I have already prepared all the documents.

After reviewing previous comments on this thread, some posters seem to think that a master cylinder failure is covered under this Toyota customer support letter and some people think it is not. I’m wondering if anybody else has experience with this and if a master cylinder failure is covered under this customer support program. I will send the paperwork regardless and I’d be happy to provide an update on what Toyota says. Just wondering if anybody can give me a heads up on what Toyota’s reply might be?

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think it's true that the warranty extension is meant to cover certain particular ways the system could fail related to a particular identified defect, and not just to cover every possible way a part could break ... sometimes it just happens. Pedal-sticking-and-having-to-be-pulled-up isn't one I've seen a lot of reports about here.

But if you've already put the paperwork together and will send it to Toyota, they'll surely tell you whether the type of failure you had corresponds to what the extension was about.

11. dcarr3096

dcarr3096 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Toyota will not just replace the accumulator, they require replacement of the master cylinder also.