1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New GM Plant Most Environmentally Friendly In The World

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by andrewgs, Aug 8, 2006.

1. andrewgs

andrewgs I Pity Da Foo!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Continued at link.

Source

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Finally some good GM news... now if they could actually build cars that where as good as the factory they came from

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's funny that if you read the replies to the article, the people are envoking Toyota's name for comparisons. They don't say, "this is better than anything Ford has" they instead refer to Toyota. Just an observation.

It truly is amazing, though, to have a LEED Gold Certified New Construction manufacturing plant. I say good for them. This is a situation in which we should embrace the good news for the environment and the people who live nearby.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 8 2006, 09:41 PM) [snapback]299972[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps the point is "Buy one of our inefficient, dirty, gas guzzling cars from our clean, environmentally friendly plant instead of one of those clean, fuel efficient, cars from their dirty plant."

After all, isn't Toyota #2 now? So GM is naturally trying to be better than Toyota in any way it can.

Now....if their new plant were only building EV2s....

5. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

Just a comment on the title of this thread. The LEEDS certification is a U.S. certification, and the plant therefore can only be considered the 'most environmentally friendly in the U.S' based on this certification. It may or may not be the most environmentally friendly in the world.

6. andrewgs

andrewgs I Pity Da Foo!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 8 2006, 10:09 PM) [snapback]299992[/snapback]</div>
    GM builds the cleanest, most efficient full-size trucks and SUVs on the market, as well as the cleanest, most efficient supercar on the planet, the Corvette Z06. The Chevrolet Impala's standard V6 is cleaner and more efficient than the Honda Accord's V6 while Impala's optional V6 is cleaner and just as efficient. Chevrolet Malibu's I4 is cleaner and more efficient than Toyota Camry's I4 and is just as clean and efficient as Honda Accord's I4.

GM is introducing the inexpensive BAS hybrid system starting this year on the Saturn VUE GreenLine with other makes and models to follow. GM is also introducing the two-mode hybrid system co-developed with BMW and DiamlerChrysler on full-size trucks and SUVs starting in model year 2008 with more cars and trucks to follow.

GM isn't the 'Big, Bad Wolf' many would like to believe they are.

I agree with this.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AndrewGS @ Aug 9 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]300259[/snapback]</div>
    Are they as clean as the Prius? Do they get the fuel economy of the Prius?

It's not GM against Toyota.

It's gas guzzlers against the best hybrid on the market.

Otherwise, why use Toyota for a comparison? Why not Ford? They're an American company.

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 9 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]300279[/snapback]</div>
    Very few cars do get the economy of the Prius..

However GM sells a number of PZEV cars, which get the same emissions rating as the Prius. The upcoming Aura Hybrid will (probably) score roughly the same EPA ratings as the Camry, at a lower cost. The Vue Hybrid gets better mileage than the Highlander Hybrid, at about 13K less. In that respect, they're pushing hybrid technology to people who can't afford the Toyota/HSD premium.

9. buyaninsight

buyaninsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Aug 9 2006, 01:48 PM) [snapback]300290[/snapback]</div>
    No but a TDI does and is quicker (i wonder if its quicker 0-6 than an enzo)

Toyota and honda are pushing Hybrid technology to a performance thing...they just lie and say its all about the mileage

10. andrewgs

andrewgs I Pity Da Foo!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 9 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]300279[/snapback]</div>
    Because many of these discussions lead to those that tout the 'imports' as being universally cleaner and more efficient than the 'dirty old gas-guzzling' American manufacturers. No, GM nor do any other manufacturer have a vehicle as clean or efficient as the Prius outside of the Insight. That is why I like the Prius. But, the Prius isn't the only Toyota on the market. The article isn't about GM versus anyone else, it's about GM opening one of the, if not the cleanest auto manufacturing plant in the world. Any time such a facility is opened it does much more for the environment than a few thousand cars. Most of our pollution is from manufacturing, not driving.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buyaninsight @ Aug 9 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]300299[/snapback]</div>
    A diesel isn't as clean or efficient as a hybrid in the city, but usually outdoes the hybrid on the highway. As far as performance, a diesel gives you more torque, but isn't 'fast' as a rule. The Jetta TDI is perhaps a hair quicker than the Prius, but the Prius is getting to speed with fewer emissions.

Toyota and Honda arent just using hybrid for any one purpose, but it does show with cars like the GS400h that a hybrid can be both efficient and fast.

11. buyaninsight

buyaninsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AndrewGS @ Aug 9 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]300306[/snapback]</div>
    :blink: your opinion of diesel cars is based on the fact that you live in texas...were everyone drives trucks that can run you over. The VW lupo they sell in europe is significantly better than the pious for most drivers

And don't neccesarily believe GM when they said they destroyed all the EV1s...there is a black one and a red one that cruise around rochester NY. They both belong (I am assuming) to employees of the local gm fuel cell research facility.

12. andrewgs

andrewgs I Pity Da Foo!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buyaninsight @ Aug 9 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]300548[/snapback]</div>
    No, my opinion of deisels is based on the fact that I've driven them both here and in Germany. Deisel cars are not as clean emissions-wise and aren't efficent in the city (urban cycle) as the Prius but are much less expensive in Europe than a Prius. In America, deisel cars are basically non-existant. There are no more US-market Jetta, Bettle or Passat deisels because of the strict 2007 EPA requirements. Only Mercedes-Benz will offer a deisel car in the US in 2007, the E320 CDI. In 2008 we should see more deisels coming to market.

That's correct, GM kept roughly 75 EV1s and just stripped about 50 of them of their propultion system and gave them to schools and museums while the rest are still used for testing. All the remaining cars are property of GM and you will see them testing new battery technology, hybrid technology and fuel cell technology. Most of them are at the facility near you or in Canada during the winter months.