1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New guy, big problem. Led headlights were swapped!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bellman25, Oct 13, 2017.

1. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do the high beams trigger the error message?

In post 1 the headlight level sensors are present and in post 17 they aren't connected. Correct?

I'm not a mechanic nor an electrical engineer, tossing out some things to consider:

I don't believe plugging the sensors in to the existing ECU will have an effect as the mechanism is in the headlight.

Why would a halogen ECU need to be reprogrammed? Are there other things in a Five that are managed by that ECU that won't work with an ECU from a Two-Four?

Will the parking light switch or the fog light switch provide enough power for the halogen headlights? I wouldn't think so.

Just curious, do you have a NAV, AT or Base Five?

My only suggestion is to contact the county or state consumer affairs office and have them tell you whether or not you have a case. You bought a Five expecting LED headlights that work. Although they throw light on the payment the fact that an error code is displayed when they are on suggests a known defect concealed by the dealer.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience, please keep us updated.

SFO likes this.
  2. bellman25

bellman25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks I appreciate the input. Everything is present except the actual LED headlights. They spliced into the harness to get the power and ground and tied the harness to the lights so I didn’t see it was hacked into. They sell the adjustment motors separately so I was thinking if I plug the sensors into the harness (under the hood) would the trouble light go out since it will see the motors and “adjust” themselves.

I’m very ignorant to Toyota and Prius. I’ve never owned a car not from the “big three” so I’m less knowledgeable than ideal in reference to the models. The BCM I saw said “exc led headlights, exc sunroof” so guessing it will manage everything except that? I’m not sure if that means it’s a level 4 car but if it manages everything except that it would work for me. The car has navigation, park assist, “leather” seating, radar cruise, lane keep assist. Not sure if they were add one or that makes it a certain level.

If the parking light circuit could handle the headlights also I would get some LED light bulbs since they are the least power hungry.

3. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you're going to do that, just use the parking light circuit to activate a relay, then run a larger capacity circuit directly to from the battery.

Having said that, I don't think it would get you anywhere.

4. bellman25

bellman25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well I found a BCM that did not come with auto level led headlights. I’m going to swap it out and see what happens.

SFO likes this.
  5. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Bellman, a Three or a Four could have had the solar roof package and only a Five had LEDs. So a Three-Solar, Four-Solar, and every Five would have used the same part.

You have a Five-AT. The features of the Advanced Tech package can't be purchased separately.

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the swap isn't successful, I hope the return policy is ;)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. bellman25

bellman25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well I got conflicting information about the BCM, whether it can be swapped with a used one or if I need a new one. Also, the labor to get that thing out seems pretty outstanding. So...I’m going to get some LED bulbs and wire to the parking lights. Hopefully it won’t throw any errors or issues. I will keep looking for some used LED headlight assemblies and put it back to factory specs in time. I guess. That’s the only choice I can see. I don’t have $1500 for headlights and that triangle is way to distracting.

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't all of the bulbs for this model be LEDs already o_O (clueless here)

You may be able to find some cheap assemblies via the link below -not sure if shipping (or potential customs) would offset any savings.

Bildelsbasen.se - Used auto / car parts

9. bellman25

bellman25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Nope the parking lights are regular bulbs. Not sure if they started out that way or not. This is my first Prius and I’m not enjoying the ride. Lol pun intended.

10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. bellman25

bellman25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My led headlights including the headlight motors are gone. The rear sensor looks like it’s ok but with the headlights and motors totally gone I’m sure that’s part of the trouble. If not that I will really be broke.

12. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The OEM parking lights are regular bulbs.