1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New guy here with an '06 and some questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by TomB985, Nov 12, 2018.

1. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good morning, everybody.

I'm ew around this section of the forum, but I was active a few years ago in the Gen 3 forum. Saturday I picked up a 2006 Prius in excellent condition with 170 K. So I’ve been doing a lot of research on it, as well as going through and taking care of any maintenance issues.

It looks like the belt-driven water pump, as well as the inverter pump, were replaced around 120 K. Otherwise it’s seen just regular oil changes and very little else. My first order of business was to change the transmission fluid to Valvoline MAXLife, and I’m planning a coolant change this afternoon. Before purchasing, I downloaded the Dr. Prius app, and the quick HV battery test during the test drive showed that two cells were concerning for high resistance. Otherwise no codes or issues. Just yesterday I ran the battery life test, and it showed me the battery had 61% capacity remaining. Is this something I should be concerned about?

I was shocked to see what appears to be the factory 12v battery, I had no idea they could last that long. Resting voltage is 11.9v, and dips down to 11.6v with the ignition on, but it seems to load test fine. Is it worth a preemptive replacement, and if so are there any conventional batteries that fit the factory battery cables?

Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should buy Toyota WS transaxle fluid, it is one of few that's compatible with the transaxle. Don't use regular transmission fluid

You should also charge the 12v battery, it should read over 12.6v when resting.

Skibob likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No. You do not want a conventional battery even if it did. The Prius 12 volt battery is in the passenger compartment with you, so you want the least Sulpheric Acid possible sloshing around. That would be an AGM battery. You want a battery with an external vent so that if it ever starts generating Hydrogen, it does not build up in the closed compartment with you and your passengers. (Gen 4 finally has the 12 volt battery under the hood)

This is the cheapest correct battery I know of.

www.amazon.com/dp/B010GKJ8F6

Skibob and davecook89t like this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The max life trans fluid is fine lots of posters over at Bitog use it with good results as a direct replacement for WS in lots of different toy vehicles including Prius.

As far as coolant change just dump the rad and fill it back up. Don’t use the oveflow tank take the black plastic cover off the top of the rad and use the rad petcock. The overflow, tank when used as a level indicator does not work as the rad level could be empty and overflow level has not moved. It’s whacky.
    I leave that top cover unbolted so I can look at rad level fast. Cover can’t move as the hood traps it in place
    When it’s closed. The reason gif just doing the rad is it services about a third of the collant and will not invoke an airlock like a full system dump, it’s a bitch to get the aur out when doing a full dump,

You should have dumped the inverter coolant while Doing the trans fluid change as the I coolant dump bolt is right next to the trans dump bolt.

And the 12 volt is not doing well don’t bother charging it buy an optima yellowtop from autozone online.
    It’s $165 out the door and includes a $50 gift certificate if you buy $100 in th future. Check the voltage at the store on that battery before leaving it must be at about 12.5 thereabouts. If much lower it’s sat for a long time and I woukd keep looking for a fresher battery.

Lastly you have a high mileage Prius that probably eats slot of oil. Check the engine oil every few days after its sat overnight to get a Handle on how bad it is. Lots of folks are blowing up ther engines not checking there oil an a very old carl

5. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did a lot of reading on transmission fluid, and I’ve read enough stories of people with good success using max life, I’m just not worried about it. I’m pretty sure the fluid was never changed before, and the transmission still lives. From what I understand this is one of the most bulletproof transmissions ever put into a car, and MaxLife is a recommended substitute for Toyota WS by just about everyone.

Thanks, that was the one that I found as well. I was hoping for a cheaper option, after all it’s just a battery for cryin’ out loud!

I was watching a video about using a relay to jumper the electric pump to circulate coolant to bleed the air. I'm gonna try that method...I'm not a fan of partial changes. Some is always left over, but I want to get as much as I can. I'll be using Valvoline Toyota/Lexus coolant rather than $30/gal from my dealer, so I prefer to mix as little as possible. It *should* be fully compatible, but of course, we've all heard horror stories in the past. Or rumors of horror stories, actual failures from mixing "universal" coolants seem quite rare.

I'll be getting to that, but it's not the same priority as the engine coolant. I have a warranty record from Toyota regarding the recall water pump replacement, and they charged for new coolant. So it was at least partially done at 112K...but there's no line item for coolant on the invoice for the engine mechanical pump, so I'm not as certain. Sticker on the hood says 160K initial replacement mileage for the engine coolant, so I'm not too worried about it, but it's getting done today.

THANKS, I'll look into that now. Mine was resting at 12.3v after shutting down from a 30-minute drive today, but I'm obviously a bit concerned about a 12-year-old battery. If they can be had locally for a reasonable price I may wait until it fails. The Prius is a second car I'm using to keep miles off my '17 Pacifica, so I've got something else to drive if needed.

I read about that, and that was one of my first concerns. I'm the third owner, and I have virtually every service record from the second owner, who's had it since 2012 and 90K miles. I've got documentation of oil changes every 3-4K miles, right up until 168K last summer. The dipstick currently reads nearly full, and the previous owners tell me they never had to add any oil. I'll keep a close eye on it, but they've been quite honest about everything else, so I think I found a decent one.

6. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeesh...I don't think so. AutoZone now sells the Optima battery for $238, and I can't find anything greater than a $30 off coupon. They give me a military discount, but I don't think it'll be worth $70.

7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    238, you can probably get one from the dealer for that price. Does the car have SKS? The non sks version has a smaller battery that is hard to find I believe.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Optima Yellow top has been popular 12v, although not quite as popular these days.
    Orginally the Optima had the standard terminal posts, and a company called eLearnAid.com sold a little conversion kit to attach the battery cables. Then Optima came out with the thinner post version of the battery. So now I can go either way on it. Seems like eLearnaid.com site still works ...thay had some good 12v info.

9. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No SKS, this is a base model. Interesting...I can see that being an option to select for the battery interchange guides, but each only specifies one battery for both options.

Good info, thanks. I ended up going with the AC Delco battery from Amazon. I've had good luck with them in the past, and Amazon does a good job supporting what they sell.

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts! I'm pretty happy with the deal I got on this...it's easily the cleanest used car I've ever purchased. Both interior and exterior are immaculate, the family I bought it from owned it for the last six years and had it cleaned up to showroom-level when I bought it. It literally runs and drives very much like my 1-year-old 2013 did when I bought it...which is really amazing for a car with this mileage. I pulled the wheels off to swap to the snow tires that were included in the deal, and almost fell over when I couldn't find any rust to speak of. This car has spent its entire life, verified by AutoCheck, in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

I paid $3,800 for it, and it had 170,500 miles. I already ran my first tank through it, and couldn't believe 47.5 MPG with mostly highway speeds in 15-25* weather. My goal is to get it past 230K. :D

SFO likes this.
  10. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, I did change the coolant tonight. I was disappointed to only get one gallon out between the radiator, storage tank, and engine block drains. It took about 25 minutes to bleed and refill, and I discovered that these things REALLY don't like being switched on with a relay missing. I jumpered the electric water pump to help bleed the system, and tried starting the engine before replacing the relay. It didn't like that.

SFO likes this.
  11. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it conform to the Toyota WS standard and is indicated as such on the bottle? If not, get the right stuff form your local dealer.

Does the HV pack operate in the middle to top of the SoC range while driving? If so, it is fine..... for now.

It is DEAD. 11.9VDC open circuit is 0% SoC.

It would not be preemptive, but no, you CANNOT safely use a flooded battery in a Prius. It must have an AGM, Dry or Gel battery!

Skibob likes this.
  12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yeah prices have increased substantially since I bought mine 3+ years ago. Then It was $160 buy online pickup at store and a $50 gift certificate if I purchased another $100 worth of crap.

TomB985 likes this.
  13. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, I did a fair amount of research before picking a fluid. MaxLife ATF is listed on the bottle to be compatible with Toyota WS.

Yep, I've been monitoring the SoC with Torque and it's pretty consistently staying in the 60-70% range. This thing drives every bit as well as my '13 did when it was only a year old...I still can't believe how well it's held up.

Got it...I replaced it a couple days ago with the Delco battery. It looks like I pulled out the factory battery, it had a date code that falls in the same month that she was made, 7/2006. Very surprised it lasted this long. I was also surprised to see that the previous owner never changed the engine air and cabin air filters, so these little guys made it 81K miles. At least they got the oil changed, but not much else!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bisco likes this.