1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New guy, many questions, some may seem dumb.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by CDSteding, Feb 2, 2020.

1. CDSteding

CDSteding New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When I look at the dashboard and see that my battery level is near full and then switch over to EV mode it tells me that the battery is to low for this to be an option. Are there two separate batteries in the car? One that gets it's charging form the engine and one that gets it from the plug in? Sorry to ask such a question this is my first plug in.

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    One battery. Need 20% or more to run in EV mode. Suggest you spend some spare time roaming here. That topic and others are discussed frequently.
    Welcome to PriusChat.

Clark_Kent and Montgomery like this.
  3. CDSteding

CDSteding New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the response. My battery level is 80% according to what I see on the dashboard. Still it tells me no go battery level to low.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are you plugging your car in?(n)

Montgomery and Rob43 like this.
  5. CDSteding

CDSteding New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, the battery is charged only from the engine at this time. I thought there was only one battery. The power to drive the car comes from two different places? One from the plug in battery and one from the engine charged battery?

6. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What tells you that you don't have battery capacity?

So always drive in EV. The engine will run when the computer wants it to run. There is no need to switch anything. Some of us can get a bit better fuel consumption by switching at certain times, but that's totally optional.

There is also a low temperature limit for EV operation. When the outside temps are too low, the engine will always run. That might be what's happening to you.

7. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The battery (singular) will only be charged enough to use EV mode when you plug it in (there is a technique to use the gasoline engine to charge the battery, but let's not go into that here). If there is not enough charge in the battery, the car will operate in hybrid (HV) mode using the gasoline engine, like a regular Prius. Just to be confusing, when in HV mode, the dashboard display can behave like a regular Prius, showing the charge levels as used in HV mode. The gasoline engine is used to keep the charge somewhere in the 20% range. So if in HV mode it wants to keep the battery from (say) 18% to 21% of its total charge, then if it has 21% charge, it will display 100%, because that is the maximum it will go to in HV mode. :confused:

#7 CharlesH, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    one battery, but a plug in portion and hybrid portion. if you don't plug in, you only get the hybrid portion which does not allow ev driving.
    you can also use 'charge mode' while driving to charge the plug in portion.

9. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just to clarify, by "portion", we mean portion of the charge level. There are no physical "portions" of the battery. When the charge level falls to below about 20%, the hybrid control software just makes the car behave like a non-plugin Prius, and displays information as if it were a non-plugin Prius. The "portions" are a fiction created by the software.

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's complicated :)

11. CDSteding

CDSteding New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To all, thanks I understand how it works. A bit convoluted, but I get it. I will charge up the battery using the AC plug in and give it a test. Thanks, really appreciate it, God and good people make being dumb not so bad at times.

bisco and Salamander_King like this.
  12. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I admit, I am now a bit confused. Is this about Prius Prime? Or is it about 2015 PIP, as your profile says? If it's about PIP, I am not familiar with the display, but if it's about PRIME, you should see very little battery charge on the icon if you have depleted your EV range. If you see a full battery level on dash of PRIME, then you must be able to drive on EV mode unless you are selecting out of it manually.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hmm, pip doesn’t show percent, only miles

Salamander_King likes this.