1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Guy! Need buying advice!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Arwin_S, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Arwin_S

Arwin_S New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi All!

Im new to ev/hybrid world but have been a lurker for some years. I recently got a new job which has me commuting approx. 50 miles round trip. All would be fine if I didnt have a truck. While I love my Toyota truck I want to save gas and, I do want to be a little greener. I have been doing a ton of research and originally thought about picking up a Gen 2. But after much deliberation and research I narrowed it down to a Gen 3 2011 and newer. I am pretty dead set on trim III or IV. After a few test drives of some II's I am confident the Prius is where I want to be for commuter vehicle but now I know I want higher trim.

I found a 2011 IV w/ solar roof package with 66,xxx miles priced at $13,992. KBB says thats a fair price. Its the higher end of what I originally wanted but if I can use this car forever then it is worth it to me. Carfax says clean title and one previous owner to the dealership that owns it now. However, two TSB's (#E0E, and #G0U) have not been remedied but from what I can tell these are simple fixes at a Toyota dealership.

My plan is to go see, test drive and take this guy home Saturday.

I have a couple of questions:

- Apart from the normal inspections I would do myself (cosmetic issues, visual mechanical issues, leaks, etc) when I test drive what other things should I look out for from you more experienced owners?

- From what I have been reading apart from a few 2010's do 2011's have any known major mechanical issues I should be aware of?

- Any other advice you could give this willing new member?

Thank you all in advance. Looking forward to being a part of this place.

Cheers

-Arwin

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!

IIRC there was a major design refresh for the 2012 model year.
    I generally recommend that US users at least identify their state in their profile since what is a "good price" in California would not be a good deal in Florida.

3. Arwin_S

Arwin_S New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Oh! Sorry about that, I am located in California.

4. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Doesn't look major from what I saw. Others will know better, so wait for that.

I liked getting my 2013 (though 2012 would have been a refresh as well) because the (potentially) murderous floor mat issue was fixed, and, IIRC, an engine part or system was updated to minimize the risk of some repair that I just can't remember the name of! (Someone please chime in!).

If you're happy with a car/your deal, often that trumps looking some more. That said, a 4 year old car (2012) and a 5 year old car (2011) have the same yearly cost of ownership. (i.e. [Total cost of the vehicle] divided by [the number of years of life] yields the same number or very very very close). So, the 2012 is not considered more expensive as a long term plan, but it may minimize other risks.

I tell you what....the two BIGGEST predictors of longevity seem to be:

1. Did the previous owner drive a lot of highway miles. Those are MUCH EASIER on an engine.
    2. Did the PO change the oil. !!

RCO likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

accident and service history would be helpful. early gen 3's can be oil burners around 100k, more 10's than 11's, but that may just be mileage idk.

learn how to reset one of the trip meters and take it for a good long drive under varied conditions to see what it returns for mpg's.

all the best!(y)

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    E0E is the reflash of the IPM: https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2017/02/119644_E0E.pdf

G0U is the airbag retention bracket. If buying from a Toyota dealer both should have been addressed before the car was offered for sale.

If not buying from a Toyota dealer it is up to you whether or not you take it in.

Since I don't trust Toyota & the dealer I would not buy the car until after another test drive to see if the E0E reflash hasn't borked the fuel economy.

Make sure you get two working fobs and the retractable cover for the deck. Mats were an accessory so they may or may not be present.

If the car has wheel locks make sure you get the key (looks like a socket). It could be stored under the deck.

A thought about oil changes: Just because the oil was changed on schedule doesn't mean anyone ever checked the level.

7. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The new 18 Camry Hybrid gets very close to Prius mileage, starts at 27k and would make a comfortable commuter. I wonder if Prius sales will take a hit?

8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably. I have not looked too closely but I may have chosen the 2018 Hybrid Camry LE had it been offered last year when I purchased my Prius.

9. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Tesla 3 is $27k after tax breaks.

10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Model 3 will be unavailable for new purchase for many years and the tax rebate will be exhausted by them.
    Tesla is not known for reliability. My brother in law is still trying to kill my 1996 Camry!

CoastRider likes this.
  11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Model 3 deliveries start at the end of the month. Time will start running out on Tesla's Federal tax credit (probably) in 2018.

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only for those who reserved one
    Everyone else is out of luck for a few years.

13. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah but a Tesla has limited range, it's a city car, if that's all you need......

CoastRider likes this.
  14. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    back on topic....

OP...have you considered a used Leaf? Would probably save you a little money upfront plus a lot over the life of the vehicle in fuel. Although if your route is all high speed you may be cutting it close as far as range (unless you can charge at work). But I totally understand if you were dead set on Prius.

RCO likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    o/p last sighted 10 days ago, hopefully on a nice vacation.

16. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I suggest buying a nice humble little Corolla! People won't Tailgate you, and they won't throw eggs at your car, and you don't have a $4,000 battery under the backseat to replace when it dies. :-(

#16 CoastRider, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  17. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Saw a friend of mine today with a 07 Prius, 288,000 miles, original battery and he has only replaced the 12 volt once. other than that it's good to go, my guess when things start to go bad, he will dump the car, but as he says now, I'm driving a free car because I've gotten my money's worth and more. Battery worries are just that.....

18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I kinda think that example is the exception rather than the general rule of Prius longevity.

CoastRider likes this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would rather be on that side of the exception than the other side.

RCO and CoastRider like this.
  20. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If so, not by much. We hear tons of stories of Prii making it 300k+ but very few of them making it less than 200k.

Prodigyplace likes this.