1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New half shaft popping noise?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Desert Flier, May 7, 2020.

1. JoshS

JoshS New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has this problem reoccured for you? This is the first thread I've seen about it and the long drive made it go away for a short period of time for me. Then after some heavy city driving, the problem persists at stop lights.

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One area I have seen cause noises is the where the outer cv joint is splined into the hub. If there is just a bit of play in those splines then you can get a loud click, snap or pop only when you change direction (D-R or R-D) and apply load. Sometimes the fix was to apply heavy grease to the splines on assembly, or use blue loctite (annoying when you have to disassemble again), or even replace the axle and/or hub. A quick test is to slightly over tighten the hub nut and see if that affects the noise.

3. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No the CV Axel ticking has not reoccurred. Long highway trips have permanently fixed the ticking.

My ticking was purely in relation to the CV Axel and nothing else.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Isaachubber

Isaachubber New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you found a solution to this problem? I have an 08 prius with the exact same issue. I'm certain it's not the brakes or steering components, but beyond that, I haven't figured anything out. Seems as though it could be in the transmission? When you're inside the vehicle with the windows up, it sounds like it's coming from center/left of the engine bay. However, when you're outside the vehicle it's very loud on the right side near the wheel. Could just be the vibrations traveling out the cv axle.

It seems the problem is slowly getting worse for me over time. Also, I do a good bit of 70+ highway driving on a daily basis and it doesn't help at all.

#24 Isaachubber, Aug 24, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021