New head gasket, now P0340

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ZX Nutt, Mar 25, 2021.

1. ZX Nutt

ZX Nutt New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm working on the wife's 2012 V. At 151k, she had the violent shake at startup a few times. One of the times, it threw P0300, P0301 and P0302 so I read up what I could find, replaced the EGR cooler, cleaned the elbow, cleaned the intake & replaced the spark plugs & replaced the instake manifold gasket. Coolant was down 1/2" on the tank, have always taken it to the dealership for oil changes and they did not note the loss in the past.

All was good for 11k. At 162k, the problem came back a couple mornings, so I added the head gasket fix (I know, bad idea, but the leak was very slow, and I only added 4oz). The coolant was down 1/4-1/2" in 11k, the shake was only at a cold startup (no CEL or other codes present). That worked to 171k, where we are now. She had a few issues, even shook one day - taking off from stop lights after being warm. I knew it was either fix it or replace the car. The car is a great car in nice shape, so I want to fix her. I had the head checked for flatness by a local machine shop and they cleaned it. I installed the felpro head gasket, new exhaust manifold gasket along with a new timing chain and new felpro head bolts. I RTV'd the timing cover and the cam hold down cover, setting the cam cover to proper torque spec. I added the valve cover back on with the new valve cover gasket. I filled both fluids (Oil and coolant). After connecting all of the plugs (except the harness for the windshield wiper motor), I attempted to start the car, it sounded like it was running for 5 seconds (a little rough, but not the violent shake) and then shuts down, Providing code P0340 - Cam Position Sensor. I cleared the code and started it gain, same issue. I unplugged the connector, visually inspected the wiring and the sensor and nothing was damaged or cracked. I then found the 12v battery to be low so I put it on the charger overnight (It was fully charged in the morning). I double checked the timing yesterday morning and it was still spot on. I ordered a Cam Position Sensor, got that yesterday and installed that last night, only to have the same result and same code - Runs for 3-5 seconds and then shuts down with the error code, red steering wheel, etc. Help!

2. ZX Nutt

ZX Nutt New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Screenshot_20210327-192507_Torque.jpg I followed the instructions that I found. I pulled the HV battery disconnect, reseated the 2 main connectors under the hood and the 4 behind the glovebox. I pulled and cleaned the crank sensor and the camshaft sensor (neither were very dirty). I am still getting the same code.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First thought is timing chain off, but you’ve done 11k since head gasket replacement. Stumped.

4. ZX Nutt

ZX Nutt New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    20210323_080142.jpg 20210323_075943.jpg
    Head gasket was just replaced, but I rechecked the timing.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. howard chang

howard chang New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hey ZXNutt, did you ever figure this out? I just replaced my HG, water pump, and thermostat this weekend. Tried starting it and I got p0340 as well. same problems as you. Tried resetting hybrid battery, starter battery, pulled plugs for 10 min. Still notBeen stumped for a couple days now.

6. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Bummer............. I recommend selling theses cars at 150,000 miles

#6 Tim Jones, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021