1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New head gasket replacement video from Gasket Masters

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mendel Leisk, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Need to start a thread where people chime in on their egr delete. I know of quite a few people now doing it. I think im at like 25,000 miles on my egr delete. Still running well. Also, the catch can reroute on my car. Had a morning cold start knock a couple times here and there with the old routing. I haven't had one in over two years now either.
    Listening to the *F1 guys talk about designing high compression turbo motors completely around knock levels and bare minimum fueling was what spurred a lot of my mods.

Bill Norton likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, when the opinion in question is about head gasket longevity, that's a good way to settle it.

When the opinion is about what somebody else's written words meant, reading works pretty well.

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Funny, mine lasted 301,000 miles before it "started" to go. I caught it early and didn't waste time.
    That's a LONG time for ANY engine!
    I've cleaned my egr system every 60-80,000 miles and it was not clogged completely at any time.
    Lot's of soot, but nothing heavy.
    I used the Toyota gasket set with new head bolts.

4. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The issue at hand is not to compare Apple and Orange...

One should not compare a non-hybrid engine to a hybrid engine...
    Both engine should have the same design and function, there are many Toyota non-hybrid engine you can compare to...

No, I'm not a business. However, I do work in the automotive industry, but not in automotive service industry...

Repair Prius is just something I do, I buy broken down Prius, repair them and after driving a period of time, then put them back on the road (sell) for other people to enjoy..

I have bought many Prius with mileage from 210K to 260K, some never had a gasket issue and while some do.
    I'm currently working on one with 225K on the clock, it has a blown head gasket to #2 cylinder. And the cause is a bad electric engine water pump, the previous owner knows nothing about cars, and just keep on driving while it overheating and until it goes to lamp mode...
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm curious why your head gasket ever let go. Was the first cleaning at that same 60~80K mile interval, or longer? I do have a chauvinistic interest: my first cleaning was around 50K miles.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It has nothing to do with egr

#86 rjparker, Jul 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I should put that thought out of my head.

8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "It" has to do with EGR and the condition of the pump (especially its impeller), and the way the car is operated and design weakness.

9. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Encouraging!
    I wonder if toyota cars without EGR have better records for HG life?

But when you buy these old crappy Prii you don't really know the history of the HG or any other maintenance performed.
    Who knows, some of the previous owners may be readers of this forum and had the EGR circuit cleaned every 50k miles, as some here recommend. Do you factor in all that money and/or labor into the cost of driving a Prius? The fuel savings may get canceled out.

ThePrius11 and Paladain55 like this.
  10. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    However I totally disagree with this point of view.
    Both engine should make power when requested by the driver.
    What's not to compare?
    Lack of an EGR system would be a good starting point...(y)

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My take: more'n likely. But, if your car came from the factory with EGR, it is tuned to take advantage of it, push the envelope a little further, and defeating the EGR is basically the same as having it clogged (bad news).

12. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I still find this video interesting:

him diagnosing the car misfires/knocks with unplugging the egr valve. The moment you unplug the valve the car clears up. I didn't really agree with anything else they had to say outside of the way they were magically able to guess how to diagnose the egr system by unplugging it.

I really bet the gasket masters guys have indirectly saved hundreds maybe thousands of priuses from egr related head gasket failure from that video. They saved me.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    He's basically saying don't forget the intake manifold. His environmental consideration is hilarious, btw.

14. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How can that be if, as I understand, the computer reacts to disconnection of EGR wiring by changing ignition timing (and perhaps other variables) to compensate? EGR tends to suppress knock, but so does retarding timing, or richening the fuel-air ratio.

ThePrius11 and Bill Norton like this.
  15. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I disagree also.
    I thought the whole theory is the EGR flow is clogged first at the farthest intake ports, Cylinders 1 and 2, probably because the EGR gasses have time to cool going through the plastic intake manifold, which will always be cooler than the surrounding engine parts.

Clogged EGR is uneven flow of the EGR gasses, which would mean cylinders 3 and 4 are getting more than planned,
    and 1 and 2 less to no flow.

Whereas defeated EGR is even flow to all the cylinders, correct?
    What would be the efficiency loss? Who knows? 3 -4%? That's hard to track on MPG numbers.
    I'm willing to test this 'alternate' theory.
    @Pala is well into this testing.(y)

CR94 likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    New video from gasket masters, pretty good step-by-step. Condition of oil under the valve cover is horrible; likely lots of gasket sealer.

Around 17:00 I see he recommends to remove the lower EGR cooler stud.
    Then mentions this will facilitate future removal, and recommends 50k interval. (y)

He is still recommending 12 mm triple square socket for the head bolt; Toyota specs 10 mm double hex, and that for sure is what’s optimum, and available.

Around 29:00 he gets into form-in-place gasket application on the timing chain cover. He does the cover, but makes no mention of applying a bead to the engines split lines, which is recommended by Toyota.

Around 33:00 there’s a continuity error: timing chain cover install repeats.

All-in-all a lot of good tips.

#96 Mendel Leisk, Sep 10, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
    SFO likes this.
  17. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Love seeing updates from (you) those guys, of course I hope his son (?) is still in the mix, as he was so 'cool' compared to his "elder".

Mendel Leisk likes this.