1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Head Gasket!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by RyanFlorida, Apr 30, 2018.

1. RyanFlorida

RyanFlorida Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Done and working!
    Some background: 2010 Prius, 2ZR Engine, 196,000 Miles, very bad misfire on start, replaced spark plugs, replaced ignition coils, since I had it at 156K miles full synthetic 0W20 oil, premium oil filters, new 12v battery, new (refurb) hybrid battery, Yoko high mileage tires.
    I started out thinking I would be able to replace the head gasket within 4 days working on and off. It took me about 6 days working on and off and at least 16 hours total. Total cost around $400, $150 for parts, $200 for rental vehicle, $50 for miscellaneous parts and tools (RTV, double hex socket, bolts, nuts, carb cleaner, brake cleaner).
    Sometimes the Prius can be a very daunting vehicle. Some people think it's a hybrid, I can't repair this. I wouldn't know how to fix it. For the most part, it's a regular gas engine vehicle, it just happens to have an electric engine attached. And that electric engine rarely needs servicing. I read that the Prius has regenerative braking, that scared me. One day I took apart the brakes and replaced all of them. Guess what, its all regular pads and rotors! The regen braking is in the transmission.
    I digress.
    Starting out, to replace the head gasket I removed everything in the way, wiper cowl, air box and intake, EGR valve, fuel rail,spark plugs and ignition coils, wire harness, and engine mount. If you're unable to do those things I just mentioned, you should not be replacing the head gasket yourself!
    After getting everything out of the way it's just tearing down the engine to the head. Remove valve cover, and remove timing chain cover. First, set the timing chain to Top Dead Center!! Rotate engine until the orange links line up perfectly with the notch in the rear gear, the left line on the VVI gear (front) should be between the two orange links, then (once you remove the timing cover) the orange link will line up to the notch in the gear behind the crankshaft bolt, and the notch in the crankshaft should meet 0 on the timing cover. I had to rotate the engine for nearly 30 mins to get the timing chain to line up properly. After I got it lined up I realized I was going backwards from the way the engine rotates. The engine rotates CLOCKWISE, I was turning it backwards, it's harder to turn backwards.
    20180419_181236.jpg
    20180419_181227.jpg
    I ran into a problem removing the timing cover. I couldn't figure out how to remove the crankshaft pulley and bolt. With some awesome help on this forum I learned the mounting bolts from the AC fit perfectly into the bolt holes on the crankshaft pulley. I inserted the bolts and tightened them against the block. Then I used a breaker bar CLOCKWISE to remove the crankshaft bolt, and the crankshaft pulley came off with a forceful pull. After removing ALL bolts from the timing cover and the timing chain tensioner, the cover came right off.

I then removed all valve rocker arms to easily access the head bolts. According to the manual, you need a 10mm double hex socket, HOWEVER, only a 12mm double hex fit the bolts and I could only find this part at Auto Zone. The other auto shops in my area did not have the socket. Once all of the bolts holding on the head assembly (interior and exterior) were removed, it popped right off.
    20180422_153907.jpg
    20180422_154736.jpg
    WOW, it was bad! Lots of build up on the cylinder head and valves.
    I then rented a valve remover (tool rentals are free at most auto stores), and removed all valves to clean them up and insert the new valve stem seals that came in the head gasket kit.

After replacing all gaskets I figure out where they go, it's just cleaning and putting it all back together.

I tried to make a time lapse video on my GoPro, but when I put the SD card in my computer it showed the card was corrupt :(

To me, this was fun! I have been working on cars for nearly 20 years and it's always satisfying when you can fix something yourself! In the end I had one bolt and one nut I couldn't figure out where they go.

I have driven the car about 200 miles since the replacement and MPG average is slightly higher at 44MPG compared to 42MPG. I believe the Prius has a bit of a break in period after the battery has been disconnected. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll see in an increase in MPGs due to better combustion. Also, I plan to test the oil on the next oil change to see if there are any contaminates ie coolant.
    Thanks for reading!
    Ryan

Attached Files:

2. Dead12VBattery

Dead12VBattery Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the very nice writeup!

Fortunetely I don't have this issue (yet), but I wonder: would this be a permanent solution for oil burning? If so does it mean an older Prius with a new hybrid battery and a new head gasket will last at least another 10 years?

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great piece of work, would you ever do it again?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I put my motor back together today. A few more hours and the car will be ready to start up. I just replaced my head gasket to. Ryan was helpful in Sharing pictures of how he lined up the timing chain. I must say intake camshaft was a bit of a trick to know which line matched up with the orange links it's also important to note that every time I tried to put on the the rear shoot the timing chain would always jump one link unless I held the chain against the crankshaft sprocket.

Attached Files:

5. Titus415

Titus415 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you know the timing cover sequence and torque specs? The valve cover torque and sequence (if it applies) also by any chance?

6. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sequences the same as it is for any card start from the middle and work your way out. Off the top of my head to turquoise 35 foot pounds then I have to turn in a quarter turn. In other words you always do the same sequence starting from the middle and after talking them all 2 35 go back and add a half a turn to all of them then go back again and add another quarter of a turn to all. you can pretty much feel the both stretch and you can tell that you're reaching the end of the stretch point

Attached Files:

anonymous and m.wynn like this.
  7. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Very nice. I personally wouldn’t have done it with the engine in the car. Just due to the issues with making sure the timing marks stay lined up. But it’s good to know it can be done.

I’m “negotiating” the purchase of a 13 Prius v that has a small “invisible” coolant leak.

amos and mjoo like this.
  8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is it easier to replace the engine than do the gasket?

9. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In my opinion there are risks involved trying to get and keep the timing marks aligned while working across the fender. But as this thread shows, it can be done.

I’ve had the engine out of mine 4 times. The last time I did it, I started removal at 10am, tear down at 1115. Reassembly at 230pm, installation at 4, and it was running at 525.

It’s not what I would call hard, but labor intensive. I also realize the fact mine has been out multiple times means all the nuts and bolts are going to come right out, versus one that has never been apart.

MikeFixes, amos, douglasjre and 2 others like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm out of my depth, but I believe oil consumption could also be due to piston rings failing, stuck, whatever. A compression test and leak-dwon test can help determine what the problem area is.

11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could always put the chain on one tooth off, so when it jumps, it jumps to the correct position. I forget which car it was a friend of
    mine did that. After it jumped twice, he said, Okay, and put it off one tooth off. When it jumped, it was correct. Something I've kept in
    the back of my head should I ever come across that problem.

#11 ASRDogman, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    MikeFixes and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. jack black

jack black Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    curious, why would you do it so many times?

amos likes this.
  13. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

First time was original expired engine. Second time was to check transaxle damper. Third was timing cover leaking. Last time was to fix bad valve on number 1 cylinder.

Trust me, I only WANTED to do it once. LoL. But I refused to give up.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't see any number in there for machine shop work ... did you have any done (or do you have your own shop), or just put a new gasket on and bolt the head back down?

-Chap

amos likes this.
  15. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

On my final reassembly, I “draw filed” the head. That is, lay a long fine pitch file across the width of the head. Drag it from one end to the other of the head. If three or four drags haven’t cleaned up the entire surface, the head is out of the flatness tolerance. Mine was .0005 across the length. And .001 across the width when I put it back together. I think tolerance is .005.

jack black and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    What you call "double hex" socket bolts are usually referred to as XZN or triple square socket heads. They are very often used in VW's, Mercedes or other European made cars.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    .05, millimeters, I think ... just a hair under .002, inches.

Seems like you're still good, anyway.

warp.png

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is the Repair Manual language I think:

upload_2018-10-13_18-33-29.png

Googling the term I found this right away:

And in case you're using an Ad Blocker:

upload_2018-10-13_18-34-37.png

douglasjre likes this.
  19. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Both shapes have twelve points, but I wonder about their interchangeability. For the same width across flats, the ideal shapes differ notably, especially in the depth of the splines:
    DoubleHexagonTripleSquare.png
    Has it been your experience that a triple square tool works with a double hexagon bolt head, or vice versa?

As @Mendel Leisk kindly observes, the Repair Manual for the Prius calls for a “10 mm bi-hexagon wrench,” 09013-7C310, when removing the cylinder head bolts. Toyota’s service tool catalogs list the two types separately, as does the catalog of the Kyoto Tool Co., which identifies the latter as the kind used on German cars.

tvpierce, Mendel Leisk and Tande like this.
  20. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    did you have to drop the subframe and lift the car off of it or were you able to pull the engine out the top? Got pictures?