1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Head Unit Advice

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by private, Oct 16, 2019.

1. private

private New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    HI All,

I'm purchasing a stock 2013 Prius C - No trim.
    Originally I was aiming for the I-Tech for the maps functionality but no dice.

The stock head unit I have found to be somewhat wanting (Bluetooth disconnects, un-intuitive controls) and was hoping to swap it out for something a little better.

I would love a maps option.
    My partner and I have a apple and android phone so preferably something that work with both.
    And I want to ensure the steering wheel controls still work too.
    I keep seeing something about needing a correct harness - Is there a preferred or recommended one for a Australia Prius-c (not that i think the country should matter).

I'll keep researching, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

-T

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It’s pretty easy to mount an aftermarket head unit in the c. You can more or less pick what you like from the Double-DIN sized units. Generally speaking you’ll need a translator accessory box to preserve steering wheel controls.

You will also need at least one wiring harness (and possibly several) in order to make that aftermarket deck into a “plug and play” module. If you don’t care about that you can splice it in permanently and save the harness cost.

I can’t tell you which ones you’d need because Australian & Japanese models were wired differently from USA models.

3. hackenfort

hackenfort Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I put a pioneer avic unit in mine, just love it, install was easy, plenty of inputs plus car play and Android auto. I did add the sirus radio/antenna

Only two complaints I have are both with metra. Dash kit color isn't a match and thier steering wheel controller is total rubbish.

#3 hackenfort, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019