1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New headlights are a major problem

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pete Sharp, Mar 12, 2016.

1. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The gen. 3 allready has a very good LED heaclights,but as it sounds gen 4. has even better !
    Great !
    My gen 3. headlight had a too low factory setting .

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's possible they're more concerned with having the taillights on (Esp. in overcast or rainy weather. Depending on the intensity of the rain, having the low beams on is a good idea. In the rain here, there are people that leave their taillights off. DRLs are mandatory in Canada but people don't think about how others view them from behind. The good thing is that a larger percentage do have their taillights on and even their low beams on than those that do not).

I think that's perimeter lighting is only on higher grades.

3. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    ABC news did a report on how bright and safe the lights are. I think they are just better and brighter lights and the aim is fine. Noticed that while driving how much better they were. I leave mine on auto dim so everyone knows my lights are not on bright.

4. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, the report was about the 2012 Prius V wagon's headlights. Not unrelated, but the GenIV is a different animal. Good to know, though, that the IV's headlights are being talked about by PC'ers as brighter than on their previous models. More than one thread currently about how other drivers seem bothered. Most likely some re-aiming is necessary.

5. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Do all 2016 Prius have LED lights and are they similar to the tested model? Or better?

6. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's a different vehicle, so even if it's the same light (it's not), IIHS's results will not apply.

And, IIHS's results were based on the aim as delivered, not properly adjusted, so they're only applicable to the specific cars that they tested, not the model in general. It would've been nice to see their results on a retest with properly aimed lights.

CR94 likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually is was the 2016 Prius 'v' wagon (still Gen3). They tested only 2016 models.

Note also that the highly rated lights were just the LED version on the Advanced Technology package. Without ATP (i.e no automatic switching between High and Low beams), it rated one notch lower. Without LEDs (i.e. just the standard halogen projectors), it rated three notches lower at Poor, along with many other cars.

The IIHS news releases:
    First-ever IIHS headlight ratings show most need improvement
    In the dark __ New ratings show most headlights need improvement

2016 Toyota Prius v -- headlight rating page

#47 fuzzy1, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Seriously? They down-rate headlights if you need to turn the high beams on and off all by yourself? To be honest, when driving under such conditions, I think it's better if you're maintaining a high enough state of alertness to turn the beans off and on by yourself.

ETP likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not exactly. They award extra points to some systems that do it automatically:
    The basis for their reasoning is expressed in this sidebar:
    Few drivers use their high beams, study finds

10. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Mr Rogers quote "I like my lights just the way they are"

Rebound likes this.
  11. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The lights can be adjusted to point more downward.

12. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks so much for sharing this info!!

13. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was going to say this, but now I'll second it, you can turn off the dlr's but keep the "running-parking" lights on for daytime use, yes the lights work great, possibly a little to great, user discretion allowed, the lights on my '06 were terrible, my '11 not bad, the '16, great.

14. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is the same light. The 2016 Liftback uses the same Koito Bi-LED projector as the Prius C 2015+ and Prius v "Five" 2016+. The Retrofit Source occasionally has them on closeout; I expect to see them more often, as well as come down in price, as newer Priuses start getting wrecked. They were introduced first on the non-US Prius v:

"KOITO will promote this newly-developed, single-LED, bi-functional projector as its standard LED unit. Starting with delivery for the Toyota Motor Corporation Prius ɑ model (in the market in November 2014*) , KOITO will roll out the product worldwide.

*This single-LED, bi-functional projector headlamp is referred to as :"Bi-beam LED headlamps" at Toyota Motor Corporation"

Lightning Racer likes this.
  15. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    But even if the projector unit is the same, the fixture it's installed in may be different, no?

16. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fixture is just aesthetic, it doesn't affect the beam. The LED, shield, and projector bowl are a self-contained unit.

17. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't the new corolla have same LED ?

LG-H901 ?

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  18. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How come the Gen4 doesn't have parking lights? Maybe it does, but the LED lights are still on.

When I'm at a red light, and there's a car in front of me, my LED lights reflecting off that car blind me! I would like to dim my lights by putting on the parking lights... But there is no parking lights!

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are parking lights (and they're required by law)

For 2016, there's three types of parking light setup depending on whether you have the Touring or Three/Four or the Two/Two Eco

Two/Two Eco

Your forward-facing parking lights are the amber turn signals. Your side parking lights are the amber lights within the reflectors.

upload_2016-9-12_15-48-23.png

Source:

Thanks @ jettlash1000

Three/Four

Your forward-facing parking lights are the amber turn signals. Your side parking lights are the amber lights within the reflectors. However, you also have the white LED "chevron" or "wishbone" light.

[​IMG]

Three Touring/Four Touring

Your forward-facing parking lights are the 3 vertical LED clearance lights at the outside of the front bumper. Your side parking lights are the amber lights within the reflector. You also have the white LED chevron/wishbone light.

[​IMG]

And that is how you tell the different model at night.

Lightning Racer and RCO like this.
  20. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Tideland. In every other car I had, when you switch on the "parking lights" all you see is the amber or yellow lights.

But in the Prius, the bright white LED light stays on. It may dim a little, but it's still on. I don't understand that part. I guess they don't want people driving around with just yellow lights on. (Can't take a Prius to an outdoor Drive-in movie. You'd blind people. :LOL:)