1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Here. Looking to purchase first Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BDunn, Mar 4, 2019.

1. BDunn

BDunn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi there. I have never owned a Prius before and I'm looking at a 2005 Prius. It has 183,000km on it and it's being sold with a valid Safety, which is a good start.

Everything looks good on the vehicle from what I can see on the pictures. No rust, no body damage or anything like that. Is there anything I should ask specifically or look for in particular while looking at this vehicle?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: I've been reading a lot about these vehicles burning oil. Is this a common issue?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat !!

Check the service and recall history by running the VIN at http://www.toyota.com/owners (it may not exist for Canadian VINs), and again at Carfax if something looks funny. You should also be able to go into a dealership and pull the service records.

Burning oil is fairly common with a higher mileage gen2, check the oil often or risk losing the engine. Oil also plugs up the $1300 catalytic.

Do you have a plan (or a secondary vehicle) if something expensive breaks down on this new to you vehicle ?

How much are they asking for it ?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a 2005 will likely need a $3,000. battery soon, possible a combo meter and brake actuator