1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New here with a new Prius (2004)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dustin92, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I bought my first Prius about 2 weeks ago (First hybrid I've ever owned), and so far, love it. It's a 2004 with 174,000 miles, one owner, well maintained at the Toyota dealer it was sold new at, and I bought it from. Black exterior, tan cloth interior (love the color combination!) So far I've been averaging around 42 mpg. I don't know anything about hybrids (or cars in general), so if there's anything I need to know, please tell me :) I have a couple concerns (maybe for nothing, but who knows?) For one, the hybrid battery.. It seems fine, doesn't lose charge sitting overnight, doesn't go from full to empty within minutes, and generally runs about 3/4 full. It has had full green bars a few times, and I've seen it at 2 purple bars twice. Does that sound normal? What are signs of a failing hybrid battery? I have no dash lights on at all. My next concern is the engine, which seems to make a light knocking or tapping noise when under a load before it has time to reach operating temperature. How long should the 12v battery last? According to the carfax we got with it, it's never been replaced... And my least concern, it sounds like I may have an exhaust leak somewhere, is that a common occurrence? When driving, it sounds a little louder from the engine area, and when idling, it sounds like the noise may be coming from the muffler area... I haven't looked any closer. Aside from those few issues, it runs and drives amazingly, and no one would ever know it has almost 175k on the clock.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! sounds like your hybrid battery is fine. the 12v has a date code, if you want to find out if it's been replaced. unlikely to be the original, but anything is possible. all the best!(y)

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Knocking under load is not good. Be aware your car probably eats alot of engine oil so important to monitor it closely till you get a feel exactly how much oil it is eating. Check the oil first thing in the morning before starting the car as all of the oil will have drained back. Drive the car with low oil and it turns the engine dash light on from low oil pressure and its done.

Lots of posts about high mileage "dealer serviced" Prius with blown bottom end bearing assy's. This engine bottom end is splash lubricated like most engines. Oil level below the full line= poor or no splash. They knock under load because the piston /connecting rods have failed from lack of lubrication as the previous owner ran it low on oil. That causes the knock and makes alot of noise like bad exhaust.

Dealer service oil changes are the worst thing ever imho especially on a Prius that starts to get high miles. They will never tell you the oil was low when you roll in so watch it as they don't check the level first and they use the crappiest dino vat oil ever and they always over fill the hell out of it. And your not getting the line tech changing your oil there either.
    And lastly and this is the worst since its "dealer serviced" it totally removes any responsibility in the owners mind to crack the hood and check yourself. Why should I? Its dealer serviced.

Go to toyota.com/owners and register the car and using the vin you will see all the dealer service reports the car has ever seen.
    See what the car was traded in for.

4. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have been watching the oil, it hasn't dropped since I bought the car, (nearly 500 miles ago) and it was always serviced with synthetic oil every 5000 miles at the dealer, and the carfax report reflects that. (the salesman told me that's all they use in priuses) and otherwise it runs great. Once it's good and warmed up it sounds great, but sounds like an exhaust leak at times. It was traded in for another prius! If it's bearings, how long do I have? The oil is ever so slightly over full, but even after 400 and some miles, looks clean and clear like it just came out of the bottle. The whole car looks like it was very well maintained inside and out.

#4 Dustin92, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You believe a car salesman? The guy selling you the used car? A full synthetic change at a dealer is about $75. If it was prepaid maintenance its getting the vat. If its the $29.99 expose me to every upsell you got special it got the vat.

Trying to help you here.
    Go to toyota.com and see why the car was traded in and you can see the oil change history too.

The Gen 2 1.5 motor is a really tough little motor and runs great. It should never knock. You drove out of there with a car that has alot of issues. Bad issues. Take it back now and have them address it.

6. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    With a perfect hybrid battery, you should not be seeing the top two and bottom two charge indicator bars under flat and city driving conditions. But it sounds like what you'd expect for its age and mileage. Listen for fan noise coming from vent at the right side of the back seat. If you hear that under normal driving conditions, it's another sign of a failing hybrid battery. If you really like the car, you should probably budget a hybrid battery in the coming years. The nice thing about that is its portability--you can move the battery to another older Prius with a failing battery. There's good salvage value.

The 12V has probably been changed, maybe twice, by a DIYer or non-dealer. Try to find its year code. Barring that, get it load tested.

There are some reports of exhaust leaks on this forum.

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

How are you checking the oil?

8. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not trying to be nasty Edthefox5, but apparently you haven't bought a used car. Used = no warranty. And to be totally honest, they probably don't want anything to do with me after my trade in vehicle! If something becomes a problem I'll get it fixed, but the noise is only when it's cold, and goes away after driving for a while. It isn't knocking like someone hammering on the engine, slightly more than a light tick, but audible inside the car (barely). I'm one of those people that tends to freak out about any little noise, and that's what I may be doing.Pulling the dipstick after the car has sat overnight, or at least a few hours.I have never heard the battery fan, even when putting my ear to the vent, and only felt minimal airflow. Hopefully a good sign the battery isn't heating up?

#8 Dustin92, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2016
  9. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep, just something to be aware of in the coming months/years.

I drove a Prius for 130K miles in desert mountains. Heat and cycles are a battery's worst enemies. That pretty much toasted the battery, and one of the signs was increasing cooling fan operation, as well as rapid charge cycles in the mountains. The car never left me stranded, and I was able to shop around and salvage a good pack from a wreck for $500 (after selling my old core for $300). That battery is still running fine 50K miles later.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Considering the car has 174K miles, it sounds like it is doing well. Congrats on your purchase.

1. The traction battery appears OK based upon your description of the state of charge indicator. A failing battery would show rapid changes in that indicator and a warning icon would appear in the upper left corner of the MFD. When you run the AC compressor, it is normal for the SOC to drop down to one or two bars as the battery gets depleted.

2. The Prius engine sounds like a sewing machine when idling. Your engine probably has some wear associated with the odometer reading. Don't worry about it, but keep an eye on the engine oil level until you understand its oil consumption rate.

3. Get under the car to have the exhaust system inspected, do not delay on that inspection. If you live in an area where winter salt is applied on the roads, it would not be unusual for corrosion to develop.

4. The original 12V battery has a date code located at the center of the battery top, which is obscured by the battery bracket. Measure the voltage across the 12V battery after the car has sat overnight and see what it is. 12.9V is a fully-charged AGM battery, 12.1V is discharged. Obviously, the higher the reading you get, the better. The battery life depends upon the car getting sufficient usage to keep the battery charged or the owner supplementing the charge with a battery charger or tender. If the battery is not taken care of, it may last only 4 years.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you bought this car at an authorized Toyota dealer I assume it was a CPO car you paid extra for.
    If CPO they would be more than happy to look at anything your concerned about.

Its rare for a Toyota dealer not to charge a CPO fee for a used Toyota. If at authorized dealer I would have been very suspicious if no CPO was offered.

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The gen2 requires periodic valve adjustments. Out of spec valve(s) can cause an audible ticking noise.

13. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I bought it from a Toyota dealer (well known and highly rated), but it was not certified pre owned. It went through a full inspection and a few minor things were addressed, but it was bought as-is. I only paid $4000, which I think is a pretty good deal. How much am I looking at to adjust the valves and am I going to cause damage by driving it say another 1000 miles? I leave for a trip thursday and I don't have an abundance of cash to spend before that.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you'll be fine. i would go, enjoy the trip, no worries. check your oil periodically, until you're comfortable that it's not losing too much between changes.

15. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Valve adjustment is a very involved process including removing camshafts and replacing lifters. Checking the adjustment only requires removal of the valve cover. A good mechanic with a stethoscope should be able to tell you if it's worth even checking. Out-of-adjustment valves could lead to burning a valve and loss of engine compression. It does not seem to be a problem with these engines. There's discussion about it in a "sticky" on this forum about what services are required and what are not.

edthefox5 likes this.
  16. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Given the age of the car, you should probably begin setting aside money for a replacement Hybrid Battery. It's not a case of IF it will fail, it is a case of WHEN. A hundred or two dollars a month should get you in a good position before the battery goes. Better to be prepared rather than get stuck without having the money set aside.

17. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So here we are a few weeks down the road, and a couple thousand miles (now over 176,000) and it's running great. The engine noise I mentioned at the start of this thread is still the same, intermittent, and only when the engine is cold. It's more of a rattle, and goes completely away once it's up to temperature. It is only using a very minimal amount of oil, so little that I've not had to add any. Not going to worry about those things right now. I made the trip mentioned earlier and it did beautifully, right around 45 mpg on the highway at 73 mph. Fun to drive and surprisingly quick! I haven't been able to do the test on the hybrid battery yet, it hasn't been warm enough, but I think it's in fine condition- 90% of the time it sits with blue bars, 2 bars from the top. I've had it down to purple bars a couple times (sitting with air conditioner on), and as soon as I drive a few miles it's back up. I've had it up to full green bars a few times and it stays up surprisingly long, but generally runs two bars from the top (unless I try to hypermile it coming home from work at 10:30 or 11 at night) I'm slightly disappointed with the mpg's I'm getting (but not unhappy, it's still double my previous vehicle), which is generally 42-44 mpg over a tank of gas (getting around 300 miles out of a tank). Any suggestions on improving mileage is appreciated! But all in all, loving my Prius!

Dino33ca likes this.
  18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The single most important thing to get consistent high MPG's is tires.

You need to ensure that when you next get new tires to make sure they are LRR (low rolling resistance) type and are well respected as LRR - it usually means forgoing cheap tires, but not exclusively. Some tire manufacturers like to throw in the LRR label, but in reality they do not perform economically. This thread has some good pointers: Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List

The next thing to do is get in the habit of checking your tire pressures on a regular basis. People who do not check their tires will usually find they are and have been running under-inflated. Most people find that the Toyota placarded pressures of 35 PSI (Front) and 33 PSI (Rear) are too low, and you will see an MPG benefit (and feel a difference when you are gliding) if you increase the pressures to 39 PSI (Front) and 37 PSI (Rear). After this there is a diminishing return and you will start to see uneven tire wear due to over-inflation. As always it is not an exact science and you may need to vary slightly around these numbers for a number of reasons.

Hope this helps.

#18 dolj, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You probably find that the noise is due to the initial valve setting which is deliberately set to run the engine lean for the first 50 (or so) seconds during the first stage of hybrid warm up. This is to get the engine temp up quicker, and during this stage the car is primarily propelled by the electric motor, unless of course you floor it, which if at all possible should be avoided as a rule.

To that extent, the noisy engine at start-up is normal. Some describe it as the sewing machine stage.

You can read about the "Hybrid Warm up: 5 modes of Prius Operation" by clicking the link in my signature.

Hope this also helps.

20. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't know the style (model?) of tires it has, but when I purchased it, it had brand new Michelins on it. Will have to check on that. We had one snow storm of 6" or so and they were horrid driving in snow, so will definitely need snow tires before next winter. The tires are inflated to 40 front, 38 rear.