1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New here with an older model.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Brandi Harvey, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Brandi Harvey

Brandi Harvey New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Everyone.

I'm Brandi. My 2007 Prius was used when I bought her at the insistence of my ex-husband (I wanted a highlander). She's been pretty good to me until recently, but to be fair, I've been rough on her lately.

Here for help and advice, if anyone can offer it. My SO just replaced the coolant inverter pump. Now, she won't crank. Dash lights up with the triangle of death and a car with an exclamation in the screen. She'll go into neutral, but nothing more. HELP!

Also, is there a less expensive way to replace the FOB? It keeps draining batteries.

TIA, and BLESS the creator(s) of this board.

#1 Brandi Harvey, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Possibly something in the High Voltage system that isn't plugged back in or didn't get reconnected... Use google search to dive deep into this website for more info about that issue.

ITBland likes this.
  3. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are any of the buttons stuck?

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where do you keep the fob?
    Do you only have one?

Sometimes people will keep their keyfob in the car or in a garage and this will lead to premature battery drain. Other times a fob kept in a bag or purse will have its button pressed....(and pressed and pressed and pressed) by something else in the bag.
    Still other times I've been told that close proximity with a cell phone will cause rapid battery drain - although I have my doubts about this.

Your bigger problem if you only have one fob will be a stolen purse, mischievous child, or early onset CRS.
    Any of these will turn your Prius into a 3200 pound lawn ornament until you find or someone produces a working fob.
    I once "lost" a fob for several hours that a toddler stuffed into her purse.......just like Mommy does! .

Despite what sleazy people will tell you, you do not need to go to a dealer to reprogram a $15 key fob that you buy on eBay.
    What you need to do is go to a city large enough to have an Aldis and a Trader Joe's AND a Food Hole, and there will likely be enough Prius owners to justify a locksmith with the right tools to tell your car that it's OK to see other fobs.
    I'm not sure that Statesboro is that town, but you're pretty close to Savanna, and if you're up for a road trip Charleston and Augusta are fairly close.
    In my town (pop 10,000.....less than yours) there is such a locksmith, even though we lack a Whole Foods and nobody even knows what an Aldis is......so this is not a hard and fast rule.
    They usually will charge about $30-50 to program the fob.

Good Luck!

SFO, jerrymildred and ITBland like this.
  5. Brandi Harvey

Brandi Harvey New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is great news. I heard a couple hundred from a dealership. SMH seems insane.

I am down to just the one, and, yes, things get intense when it goes missing. Really probably need a new one, which, I now know thanks to you, I can buy from ebay! JOY!

This almost makes up for learning that I'll likely have to replace my hybrid battery to get my sweet Penelope Prius rolling again. (OUCH. THAT BILL'S GONNA SMART!)

#5 Brandi Harvey, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2018
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

check the 12v health. if that is good, recheck the inverter pump connections.

ITBland likes this.