1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New HEV/NiMH battery renewal tech. development

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ancel Bhagwandeen, May 19, 2022.

1. Ancel Bhagwandeen

Ancel Bhagwandeen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello All:
    I am a battery regeneration product developer with prior experience (10 years) in 'regular' lead acid battery regeneration and have developed a Toyota oriented NiMH battery regenerator. The prototype was functionally validated at the University Master's thesis level in 2020.

I have joined the forum to ensure that the product I am developing will meet the needs of the HEV motorists/owners for HEV battery service. Thus far the focus is on fast service turnaround (24 hours),a report on the refreshed capacity of every NiMH module in your HEV battery with a % improvement on each. A 1 year warranty on the battery function. I am familiar with the prolong battery gear and the Nuvant battery gear.

Now, as a DIY guy, these many years, I also try to ensure that I design product versions that the DIY enthusiasts can leverage. Meaning, they can't cost too much but must work without the frills and features of commercial grade products.

Ok...enough about me....Please tell me, what your would want from a battery renewal service and what you would like to see in a bit of kit for doing your OWN battery service.
    Also, how much $$ would you spend on such a device as this informs on the build quality & feature set.

I'll also keep all of you apprised as to the progress of the new product development and include pics etc. Development timeline starts in June/July 2022.

Let's be safe out there!!
    DIY Inventor.
    M.I.T.EE certified, CISCO certified, UNDP awarded for Green innovation.

Panicos, SFO, tangerino and 1 other person like this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What I'd like is a device for $200 that mounts inside a Prius and the only noticeable part is where you plug an extension cord into until a "battery health" light finally goes out on the dash. This means the person plugging it in might not know what they're doing, but the pack is smart charged and balanced with bluetooth data logging/app, as well as reconditioning when user allows a day or two without car use to accomplish that task.

anothertckt, Ernie stires and bisco like this.
  3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The cost is a secondary issue. Ease of attachment is primary. Make it so easy that even a caveman can do it.
    Also it shouldn’t require the user to determine how often and for how long to use it. It should be as smart as the original Toyota battery management system.

anothertckt likes this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thus far the focus is on fast service turnaround (24 hours),a report on the refreshed capacity of every NiMH module in your HEV battery with a % improvement on each.

A couple questions:

1. You're planning to have connections for each individual module (28 individual hookups) in a Gen 2?
    2. Your system would be 'regenerating' the modules individually with 28 separate circuits? or would it be something similar to a Prolong where it uses one high voltage charger and one high voltage discharger to do the entire pack as a 'single' component?
    3. If you're going with something similar to the Prolong, how will you determine individual module data?
    love the idea, but I think as mentioned above, installation complexity is going to be the big ticket item.

#4 TMR-JWAP, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
  5. Ancel Bhagwandeen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A

6. Ancel Bhagwandeen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    The first development push is for simple gear to service/recondition the batteries outside of the vehicle, as other matters like corrosion of the interconnects , battery electrolyte seeps need to be addressed as the battery has already reached a bad condition.

After that, I will be looking at an 'active' balancer for the NiMH modules in the battery as an upgrade to the vehicle BMS. That way the need for repeat service is significantly diminished, by years.

anothertckt, SFO and bisco like this.
  7. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like your target market isn’t owners, rather is repair shops. Most owners can’t easily remove the battery periodically to do reconditioning. Although some may enjoy the prospect of disconnecting and lifting the battery pack put of a Prius, I do not.

8. Ancel Bhagwandeen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully, the active balancer module for the vehicle's BMS will be something the less agile DiY folks can handle as an install. Then the battery will become balanced over a week or 2 of use naturally.

SFO likes this.
  9. Ancel Bhagwandeen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A

This is for 6 & 12V lead acid, suitable for the aux. 12V batt in the HEV. My device.

SFO likes this.
  10. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looking forward to seein the specs when it becomes available

SFO likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    would this work for my 12v lawn tractor batteries? is it available for purchase?

SFO likes this.
  12. Ancel Bhagwandeen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Any lead acid 6V or 12V that is NOT GEL. would work.
    If u want one built I can look at that. I did that build to assist a DiY guy. $70 USD...

13. Ancel Bhagwandeen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    On the NiMH front. I will be setting up an automated test bench to assess the outcomes of re-hydrating the blade modules in terms of capacity and internal resistance outcomes.

I have anecdotal evidence of >20,000 miles more performance from such an exercise.

14. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It sounds like you want to us send modules to you for reconditioning with a 24 hour turnaround. But we have to ship through Customs to some undefined Caribbean country and then you ship them back through customs. That is sketchy and could take weeks.

Seems you have it developed in one sentence and will start development this summer in another sentence.

Honestly many of us would never use an out of state service such as this much less out of country. How would payments and guarantees be handled? It also stretches credibility that something ground breaking has been "prototyped" (a better sales term) and this discovery would be better than the typical algorithms used by US battery rejuvenators. Some of which will come to your home and install a cleaned up used pack.

I would suggest using a low cost introductory marketing scheme where the total cost with shipping was somewhere between $400-$600. Work toward positive word of mouth recommendations. Locate the service in the US near overnight shipping services. No wire transfers or gift card payments. Perhaps Paypal.

#14 rjparker, Jun 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    Another likes this.
  15. Ancel Bhagwandeen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    U misunderstand.....I am not offering a service. I am building new gear for Auto/repair service ppl to use. The prototype is built and tested at an independent University. That validates proof of concept. Now I am designing to scale commercially. I don't really intend to ship to the USA.....the target is the developing world markets, which is larger and the cost of a replacement blade is higher..
    So far I have built custom gear on request for African, Indonesian and Australian entities.

BTW, None of the existing charge/discharge gear makes use of ultrasonics or high current PWM to make the dendrites frangible. This is novel tech which I have used for 6 years in other 'lead acid' battery regeneration gear and which has recently become mainstream in science journals. My gear is recognized by the BASEL Convention in Switzerland for battery regeneration as of Dec. 2021.

#15 Ancel Bhagwandeen, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  16. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    At least you won't have US fraud charges filed on you. Pretty smart.

17. Ancel Bhagwandeen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    What fraud? I was invited by the US EDA as to be a member of the America's Competitiveness Exchange in 2019 for my battery regeneration efforts. I suggest you abstain from commenting on my credentials as u are ignorant.

Have a look under the Trinidad & Tobago representative directory to this USA effort. You'll see me there.
    The ACE Ambassadors - Americas Competitiveness Exchange

#17 Ancel Bhagwandeen, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    SFO likes this.
  18. Ancel Bhagwandeen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a quick update. The HEV (NiMH) Regeneration project has reached the Global Finals of climatelaunchpad.org slated for Oct 27,2022.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  20. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did watch the longish recording(s) of the "Global Finals".

Curious if there were any new developments worth posting?