1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured New high-power hybrid option in all Toyota hybrids

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by GasperG, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The new 1.5L for the Euro Yaris manages a 13.5:1 compression stroke without direct injection.
    Toyota upgrades Euro-spec Yaris with more powerful 1.5L engine - Auto Industry News
    The recommended octane is 95 RON, which is the grade recommended for all the petrol Yaris engines, including the hybrids. 95 RON is about 90 to 91 AKI. Higher than 87 AKI, but I've said US regular is cheap, crap gas before.

RCO likes this.
  2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it matters what the definition of "otto" is. That engine only gets 2 more horsepower than the older 10.5:1 compression otto version with US gasoline. I would bet without di and with the added efficiency late valve closing will give it between 11:1 and 12:1 compression stroke with US regular unleaded. That compression is definitely in the otto range. The trick is it probably can close the intake valves down near 6:1 just like the prius engine under low loads. I'd say you are otto even if it is a 13.5 expansion stroke and a 11:1 compression stroke ;-)

Add the di that the 2018 Camry engine has and you not only get more hp and efficiency, you can improve NVH and improve pedal response to acceleration. You can lower rpm then add power quickly by using full compression strokes. Old rule of thumb was di added about $100/cylinder to the final sales price, which seems well worth it in the camry, but maybe not to the price sensitive yaris and corolla. In the prius you probably could take that cost out in other places.

3. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Does that $100 per cylinder rule of thumb apply to Toyota's hybrid port and direct injection system?

Toyota has multiple options in making a power hybrid offering. What they end up doing depends on the actual goals for the design and cost.

4. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That engine (the 2NR-FKE) has been around for a few years, using 91 RON (about 87 AKI) in the Japanese market. The 95 RON specification for the European market is largely because 95 RON is the least you can get there.

Trollbait likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I thought 95 RON was European regular, but wasn't sure.

6. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    How much they tack on depends a lot on profit and competition. The 2018 Camry LE added $930 for this and all the other improvements like a better suspension and safety electronics, but in a highly competitive and high volume market place profit margins for tech are going to run lower. My guess is this added much less than $400 to the price, but greatly improved fuel economy and acceleration.

I don't know what the goals are. The two easiest ways to improve acceleration and responsiveness without hurting fuel economy are to add direct injection and to add a more powerful lithium battery with resulting changes to hsd.

They appear to have been able to squeeze 4 more hp through cooling the exhaust and changing the shape of the cylinder end/piston. Yeah not much there, 3.7% improvement in hp, possibly slight efficiency improvements. Since they probably pick earliest intake valve closing based on fuel quality, it would produce less hp on american regular gasoline. The big deal in the press release was they are making this engine for europe in poland ;-)

#26 austingreen, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't they already do something similar with the RAV 4 Hybrid? Sort of four wheel drive when necessary.

8. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes its a 67 hp electric motor on the rear axle, for when the front wheels are "about to" slip. With a more powerful battery pack, they could downsize mg2, and have it be a more balanced efficient electronic awd.

9. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I know extra rear motor is induction motor that is used only up to a certain speed (low gears), when speed is exceeded it just free-wheels. This improves of the line traction and adds higher tow rating.

10. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If they could just blend the power of the RAV-4 Hybrid with the size and handling of the Prius V (maybe even kick the handling up a notch), I'd start saving for one now.

Of course, to me the "killer app" would be a 150-200 mile electric range in a hybrid, paired with rooftop solar (and house batteries), so that the average commuter only needed to charge up on the weekend, but had no range anxiety. Don't think we're there yet...