1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Highlander

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by firepa63, Feb 7, 2007.

1. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 25 2007, 04:35 PM) [snapback]484521[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for that Tideland. May try to replace our cherokee that my wife uses to pull the horse float (trailer) if I can get my hands on a signature class Kluger here.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jul 25 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]484945[/snapback]</div>
    Import? Cause I think they stopped selling the Kluger, no? or will you guys get the new model?

3. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 26 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]485169[/snapback]</div>

A 2005 model (signature class, refurbished at Toyota plant). I've found one out at the Toyota plant (same way I found my prius) but pretty expensive though. The NZ-new vehicles I think are all called Highlanders (no hybrids though).

This is the only one for sale by Toyota NZ right now:

[attachmentid=10130]

Attached Files:

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jul 25 2007, 06:59 PM) [snapback]485177[/snapback]</div>
    wow.. straight from Japan.. it even has the small fender mirror!

so you can only buy used ones?

5. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 26 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]485200[/snapback]</div>
    The Signature Class Toyotas are all used but refurbished at the Toyota factory here and re-warranteed (5 years for hybrids). Toyota NZ's Signature programme has been running for 10 years now and is very popular. The Prius I got from the factory this way is the one with the IPA, G-Book, & really beautiful 16 in alloy rims.

I've asked Toyota New Zealand (via their contact us email address) when we will see NZ-new HyHis & HyCams here. They haven't replied.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ahh ok I see.

Hmm, I believe TCHs are only available in NA (don't even think Japan gets them).

7. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jul 26 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]485212[/snapback]</div>
    Here's their reply...

"We can confirm that Toyota New Zealand has no immediate plans to release the Toyota Camry hybrid or Toyota Highlander hybrid in the near future."

"We are pleased to advise that the Toyota Kluger hybrid is included in the Signature Class vehicle range, which can be viewed on our website at www.toyota.co.nz ..." etc etc.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well that sucks...

but then again if a Signature Kluger Hybrid is $50k.. I dun wanna know how much the new one will cost.

9. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Looks like the new Highlander hybrid is going to be really expensive. The Highlander limited gas car is MSRP $40k+... ouch.

Wonder if the THH loaded is going to be $45k. :(

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's Cdn$50k for a Highlander Limited 4x4. I don't want to know how much the HiHy Limited 4WD-i costs... The RX350 (4WD) starts at Cdn$53k

11. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went with my sister for a test drive in a gas-powered Highlander ... I was impressed by all the well thought out functional equipment!

She test drove a SPORT model and it seemed to ride nice ... a little firm, but nothing harsh at all. I liked the idea of the small LCD screen above the radio/Nav (if equipped). The layout of the dash, etc ... while still being very middle of the road, was pleasurable to the eye. Nice to have the rear-view camera w/o needing Navigation. Most impressive was the rear seat roominess ... I really liked how far the seats reclined as well. The removable middle seat was a nice thought as well. Often you don't NEED the bench across the back and it's nice to basically have 2 captains chairs. I thought it was a nice touch to be able to drop the 2nd row from the back as well w/o it being powered. A nice touch.

Some things I didn't like were the lack of HIDs (not sure if you can get them on the Limited model or not), the ho-hum styling (it is a must though if you want to appeal to the masses unfortunately).

Overall I thought it was a very well thought out CUV. Still kind of boring overall, especially styling-wise but when it comes to functionality I thought it was very well done. I trust it will sell as well as the past gens.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I love the stow-away second row middle seat. It's a pretty neat idea.

The 3rd row wasn't too bad either. I felt comfortable in the 5 mins I spent back there. The headrests were high enough and I just fit without scraping my head on the ceiling. The Limited model's woodtrim looks very luxurious and inviting. It has a matte finish but with the grey interior that I saw, it added a bit of warmth and looked quite realistic. (compared to the matte wood trim on the CLS-Class for example which looks cheap even though it might be real wood).

13. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have to disagree with your opinion of the wood trim ... you are right on the 3rd row however ... I would go out of my way to get one w/o wood trim if I were choosing.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Sep 3 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]506312[/snapback]</div>

The "mahoghany" one?? I thought that looked a lot better than the "Birch" on the HiHy.

15. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I forgot there were 2 colors of wood ... personally I wouldn't want either. The only thing I would probably be OK with is the almost black wood that you find in some cars.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe.

If it's dark, I prefer the grey-stained wood like the one found on the GS. Is that the type you're referring to or is it darker?

17. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that's the color ... it can almost look navy at times ... I think it's called black bird's eye ... they have it with the light gray interior on the RX 350 now as well ... I had an RX 330, but back then the light gray came with the dark maple the looks more maroon-ish ... ICK!

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah that's probably it.

lol... you think that's bad? what about the "California Walnut" on the 2002 ES300? It's burgundy!!

19. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I actually love the burgundy wood on my ES.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Sep 8 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]509245[/snapback]</div>
    ahh.. nice. Yeah I just prefer a more natural wood colour... i.e. the brownish look lol.