1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Highlander

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by firepa63, Feb 7, 2007.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've found that the wood trim in the ES varies widely in shade, mine is darker than a lot of the cars out there and really looks more like a dark cherry. It also looks better with the black interior than with the other colors, which is probably why they went with birds eye maple on the grey and tan interiors and left the walnut for the black interior in 05.

I love that new grey wood with the grey interior on the LS460...

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Sep 9 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]509616[/snapback]</div>
    Probably, yeah. I've noticed they've started matching wood with interior colour (well.. except the current IS/ES which have one wood option regardless of interior colour).

Yeah, that grey-stained Bird's Eye looks really nice. I saw it in person when I sat in the LS600h L on Friday.

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah I was surprised they went back to the one color instead of matching it with the interior as they did in the 05-06 ES.

Then again, I was surprised by a lot of stuff they did to the new ES' interior

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Sep 9 2007, 08:18 PM) [snapback]509842[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I've heard mixed feelings from previous ES owners. Some say it's much better, other criticise the "crappy" base leather (I do not know but it feels better than the Camry which I already thought was good for a family car esp. after you see the leather supplied in the Accord and Altima) and the stiffer suspension that's out of place in the ES and so forth. Of course we can't forget the transmission flare too.

5. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sad, but true story ... I probably would've bought a Lexus RX 400h last year if I could've found one w/o wood the way I wanted. I didn't really want to wait 3-4 months for a special order. I disliked the wood THAT much ... I ended up with an Acura MDX with wood anyhow :) but it's really dark and not noticeable.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the MDX's wood is quite dark but still in a wood colour (rather than black or grey).

I think the RX now can be ordered in aluminium or wood from the factory (without a special order), right?

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the MDX's wood is quite dark but still in a wood colour (rather than black or grey).

I think the RX now can be ordered in aluminium or wood from the factory (without a special order), right?

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 9 2007, 11:47 PM) [snapback]509859[/snapback]</div>
    The quality of the leather is more or less the same I think, the semi-analine leather is very good. The issue I have is the fact that they went from a triple stitched leather to a double stitched leather which is a pure cost-cutting step. I don't have a problem with the design of the interior at all. Some people hate the "horseshoe" center stack but it doesn't bother me. My issue comes with the fact that the previous ES seems like a much more expensive car inside than it really is, while the new car doesn't. They used cheaper plastics, a thinner headliner, thinner carpet, lower cost detailing, and much less wood. The new gauges aren't as trademark Lexus optitron either which is a letdown.

I love everything else about the car. They packed in so many features, and the new exterior is great especially with the UL package and the door trim strips. I love the way it drives too, as smooth as the previous car while being quieter, but also just the slightest bit sportier. The car actually has some character now and the new power is great. Its fun to drive without giving up the trademark Lexus ride. The new LS is the same way.

I would have traded mine on one straight away if it weren't for the interior. I still really go back and forth about it. I drive a lot and my ES is getting up there (I'm gaining on 100k miles) and while its a great car still I don't want to keep it much past 100k. I've seen some wood kits installed on the ES350 which helps warm it up and the interior looks better in black with the UL package and the nav system. What I really want is an LS460, but its such a huge price jump.

Boy...we've really hijacked this thread. Sorry guys...

9. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 9 2007, 11:47 PM) [snapback]509859[/snapback]</div>
    The quality of the leather is more or less the same I think, the semi-analine leather is very good. The issue I have is the fact that they went from a triple stitched leather to a double stitched leather which is a pure cost-cutting step. I don't have a problem with the design of the interior at all. Some people hate the "horseshoe" center stack but it doesn't bother me. My issue comes with the fact that the previous ES seems like a much more expensive car inside than it really is, while the new car doesn't. They used cheaper plastics, a thinner headliner, thinner carpet, lower cost detailing, and much less wood. The new gauges aren't as trademark Lexus optitron either which is a letdown.

I love everything else about the car. They packed in so many features, and the new exterior is great especially with the UL package and the door trim strips. I love the way it drives too, as smooth as the previous car while being quieter, but also just the slightest bit sportier. The car actually has some character now and the new power is great. Its fun to drive without giving up the trademark Lexus ride. The new LS is the same way.

I would have traded mine on one straight away if it weren't for the interior. I still really go back and forth about it. I drive a lot and my ES is getting up there (I'm gaining on 100k miles) and while its a great car still I don't want to keep it much past 100k. I've seen some wood kits installed on the ES350 which helps warm it up and the interior looks better in black with the UL package and the nav system. What I really want is an LS460, but its such a huge price jump.

Boy...we've really hijacked this thread. Sorry guys...

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.. yeah sorry guys!

Hmm yeah the features are great. The gauges aren't electroluminescent? really?

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.. yeah sorry guys!

Hmm yeah the features are great. The gauges aren't electroluminescent? really?

12. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They are, but they're no longer completely concealed by a tinted lens. The gauges are always plainly visible whether they are on or not, the numerals are just electroliminescent.

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They are, but they're no longer completely concealed by a tinted lens. The gauges are always plainly visible whether they are on or not, the numerals are just electroliminescent.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Sep 12 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]511343[/snapback]</div>
    Ohhh... yeah I used that as a gauge (no pun intended) whether a car has electroluminescent gauges or not - can I see the instruments when the car is parked.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Sep 12 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]511343[/snapback]</div>
    Ohhh... yeah I used that as a gauge (no pun intended) whether a car has electroluminescent gauges or not - can I see the instruments when the car is parked.

16. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 11 2007, 09:29 PM) [snapback]510990[/snapback]</div>
    Basically they send them ALL out with wood, so you need to either special order or have them change one in the process of being built. In the first 2/3 of the '06 model year they ALL came with aluminum trim ... then they started sending them all out with wood the last 1/3 of the year and have done so since.

17. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 11 2007, 09:29 PM) [snapback]510990[/snapback]</div>
    Basically they send them ALL out with wood, so you need to either special order or have them change one in the process of being built. In the first 2/3 of the '06 model year they ALL came with aluminum trim ... then they started sending them all out with wood the last 1/3 of the year and have done so since.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ohhh... yeesh the US system is different from Canada lol.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ohhh... yeesh the US system is different from Canada lol.

20. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The dealership wanted to sell a new vehicle to me last week, sent me a letter stating that they'd give me top dollar (private sale price) for my Prius. I went in and found out that the salesman had misunderstood me when I said that I'd only be interested in a 2008 Highlander hybrid. They have the 2008s in the gasoline-only version which I flat out do not want. Once you get used to hybrid, you don't want to trade down to gas-only. He told me that the 2008 hybrid Highlander wouldn't be on the lot until mid to late November. I test drove a gas-only Highlander, anyway, and it's sweet. If the hybrid is what I expect it to be, I may buy it.