1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Highlander

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by firepa63, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the new Highlander looks promising (esp. since it's the first vehicle until Toyota's new "Value Added" concept)

Although, I'm not looking forward to the price of the hybrid in Canada when the Limited 4x4 is $49,500 without nav. ($53k with nav)

2. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They are now at dealerships ... the hybrid Highlanders that is.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. A few people over at TN have them in their driveways already. However, we still don't have them up here in Canada yet.

4. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 12 2007, 06:31 PM) [snapback]538606[/snapback]</div>
    At least one here in southeastern Michigan has one in his garage. B)

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    niiice. haha.. how is it? Pics please!!

6. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 12 2007, 10:05 PM) [snapback]538679[/snapback]</div>
    Here are a few or so. It's a great car, really really nice. I haven't driven it much but have the avg mpg at a little over 28. Not bad for a mid-sized SUV but I expect to do better. There is no slot for the FOB to be plugged in to so I guess I have to keep it on me. The HiHy has a lot of that hybrid (Prius) personality. There are cupholders everywhere. The telescoping steering wheel is a welcome addition. I haven't had a chance to use the economy mode yet but have used the EV mode to get it out of the garage without having the gas engine kick in. That's nice. It's super quiet, even more so than the Prius. I got several options that I wouldn't have ordered myself. Evidently, there was a guy ahead of me in the waiting line who passed on it because he wanted a limited model. Adjustable seat is great, dual climate controls are too. The iPod connection, of course, is in to the top of the iPod, unlike the Dice unit but I can live with that. I plan on doing a full report on it over on HybridChat when I've gone through a couple of tankfuls and have gotten used to everything. I miss my Prius but it's kind of like having a new girlfriend who's really hot and missing your old girlfriend who's equally hot. B)

Attached Files:

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ooooh that looks really nice. I must say the Highlander is already quite heavy. How much heavier is the HiHy?

Also that mini screen is pretty nifty esp. if you don't have the navigation unit! Really, what are you missing from the Limited anyway? I recall that you can option out a "base" HiHy fairly close to the Limited's base price.

8. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 13 2007, 09:12 PM) [snapback]539204[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, this one's not too far off from Limited. It's so close that I almost feel as if I have the top of the line. That's just the way it came.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Nov 13 2007, 06:16 PM) [snapback]539207[/snapback]</div>
    mmhmm. We don't have the HiHy yet so I haven't seen one in person. The pricing is even out either!

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 13 2007, 10:23 PM) [snapback]539232[/snapback]</div>
    That reminds me of when I first went in to the dealership and started negotiating. There was a couple with their daughter and they were giving the Prius in the showroom a serious look. They also looked at the Camry hybrid and when they were leaving, I asked him if he was going to buy the Prius and he said that they were from Canada and that they had to find someone to buy the car for them so that they could take advantage of the currency exchange rates. :lol: Times sure have changed.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yep. 7 years ago you guys were buying from us!

Our Highlander Limited 4x4 is $50k. $53k with nav.

A Prius Touring is $29,500 (with foglights, Homelink, auto-dimming mirrors). Fully loaded without HID or leather (it's not offered) it's ~$35k (used to be $38k in 2007)

A TCH is $32,000. $35,680 with leather/moonroof/power pass seat/heated front seats/reading lights/dual illuminated vanity mirrors. Nav is a $2,600 option and it's the regular Camry's navigation, not the Hybrid one.

12. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think ALL Highlanders come with that mini screen even if you do have the Navigation system, correct?

I know the styling is intentionally bland, etc, but when I rode in one with my sister on a test drive I really liked it overall ... VERY well thought out imho. I just wish it weren't QUITE so blah styling wise (smart business move though to appeal to the masses). REALLY interested to see how the Lexus RX redesign looks when it hits the streets!

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Nov 18 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]541250[/snapback]</div>
    yeah all of them have the screen. In Canada, all models (SR5, Sport, Limited) except the Base model gets a backup camera (finally). If you get the nav, then it's displayed on the larger 7" screen, otherwise it's on the 3.5" screen.

Huskers, you've seen the concept "RX" over at CL right? Do you think that'll be close to the RX' design?

14. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't been over there in a while .... I am heading there now ... thanks!

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha. I think both the Car Chat and the RX400h forum will have it.

16. cyeh

cyeh New Member